3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Addco Rear Sway Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 12:16 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Can anyone help on this? Any sites with pictures?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2001, 12:25 PM
I'm needing a caw

It installs almost the same as the stock one. The only thing that is different is the endlink attachments. Once you see it for a minute, you will know. 1 hour is about all you need. If I did it again, maybe 15 minutes.
Old 08-31-2001, 12:38 PM

http://www.performanceix.com/how-to/...a_sway_bar.asp

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/rsb.html

http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
Old 08-31-2001, 01:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

While we're on the topic of rear sway bars, I was wondering how "safe" it was to do this. I've seen the Addco bar is a hefty 7/8" diameter, while the Suspension Tech bar is only 3/4". How big is the stock SE bar? Will the Addco bar change the car's balance into "oversteer" or will it still safely "understeer" with the stock front/Addco rear combo? I only ask this because the Addco bar seems so big and this sounds like a good mod I'd like to do.... someday.

btw, how's the ride over potholes, uneven bumps, etc?
Old 08-31-2001, 02:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

Lordy, those instructions won't really help the RSB install on a 3-gen

Bman. Good observation. The Addco bar is thicker than the ST one. But even w/ the Addco bar, my car w/ it's suspen mods is closer to neutral or neutral. I still have a hard time getting the back to rotate. So IMHO even the thick addco bar is not thick enough. I could use a tad more stiffness in the back but I'm pretty darned happy w/ the addco bar.

The stocker is a joke. I've had spagetti that was thicker!
Old 08-31-2001, 03:14 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Jeff?

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Bman. Good observation. The Addco bar is thicker than the ST one. But even w/ the Addco bar, my car w/ it's suspen mods is closer to neutral or neutral. I still have a hard time getting the back to rotate. So IMHO even the thick addco bar is not thick enough. I could use a tad more stiffness in the back but I'm pretty darned happy w/ the addco bar.

The stocker is a joke. I've had spagetti that was thicker!
I bought this used. I got everything with it except for the bolts that hold the L brackets to the car. Can I use the stock bolts, or do I need to try to get these from ADDCO?
Old 08-31-2001, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Next time I look at the instructions, rather than just copy from my bookmarks....

LOL
Old 08-31-2001, 07:24 PM

If you ask me, I still think the Suspension Tech. Front and Rear set is the ideal setup. It combines a slightly thicker rear bar, with a massive front bar and polyurethane bushings all around. Very good quality too. I had this setup on my 89' max before it was wrecked. I loved the handling. Body roll was eliminated. Matt93GXE will agree with me, that the rear sway bar doesn't do anything compared to the front sway bar.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was always under the impression that sway bars should be balanced front and rear. Cars are generally developed for the North American market to understeer by default (stiffer front, looser rear). If Jeff says with the thicker Addco rear bar the handling is about neutral with a stock front bar, then the Suspension Tech combo with a huge front bar but not as big rear bar should still understeer like the stock setup (or something like it) but just be stiffer overall.

I'm beginning to think a better setup might be to combine the Suspension Tech FRONT with a Addco REAR, and that will stiffen the car up all around, as long as you don't mind the car understeering at the limits (I'm not that good at recovery, so I wouldn't mind ). Ride might be harsher around town though.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

Again, w/ the ST set up, understeer will be reduced but the car will still understeer more than than the Addco rear bar. It's the way it is. If you like an understeering car then fine, if you want the car to handle more towards neutral, the Addco is the one you want. The RSB does WAY more than any aftermarket front bar will do. The RSB is about twice as thick as the stocker. The ST one is solid yes, but not near as 2x as thick or 2x as stiff.

Originally posted by NightRider
If you ask me, I still think the Suspension Tech. Front and Rear set is the ideal setup. It combines a slightly thicker rear bar, with a massive front bar and polyurethane bushings all around. Very good quality too. I had this setup on my 89' max before it was wrecked. I loved the handling. Body roll was eliminated. Matt93GXE will agree with me, that the rear sway bar doesn't do anything compared to the front sway bar.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by NightRider
You should brush up on your suspension knowledge. Adding a Massive front sway bar to a front wheel drive car, or any other car, will increase the tendency for that car to understeer. Most American car makers fell that a car that understeers is safer than a car that oversteers, that is why you see large front sway bars, like ours, on cars. A rear sway bar will do the opposite, make the car oversteer more. Now it would take a very large rear sway bar to compensate for the understeer that most front wheel drive cars face to make it handle like a rear wheel drive car. Adding a large front sway bar is counter productive on our cars. This is why you see rear wheel drive cars, especially those with big American V8's, with large front sway bars.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:24 PM
To them I'm like an idol

WHoa...What about 3rd Gen ADDCO's

Understeer, oversteer....wait, I just need to get it on. I think I got it installed mostly right, but I can get it to line up right. Seems like the bar is about 1/2" too long. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 09-24-2001, 06:13 AM

Because of the suspention design the rear wheels come closer together when they are off the ground. It should fit ok if you support them. If you have a set of ramps that would work, or try using jack stands under the strut.