3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

its winter and i need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2000, 08:28 PM

how many people use there maxima's in the winter? if you do, do you put the stock rims back on? does anyone have any rust on there cars? i want to get a **** box for the winter. becasue i do not want my car to rust from the salt on the roads in the winter time. i have spented to much money in my car to have it rust on me. plus i go to school in RI and the ocean is right next the school. and that salt water is diffently going to rust the hell out of my car right? what do you all do for the winter? thanks for your reply
Patrick
Old 10-28-2000, 08:39 PM

You dont have to worry about rust if you keep a nice coat of wax on it and wash the salt off everytime you have a chance. Most people have a second set of rims and tires for winter because it is hell on them.
Old 10-28-2000, 09:37 PM

I live in New Hampshire and we get our fair share of snow, actually had flurries tonight, but this will be my first winter with my Max here. Last year I was in Georgia for the winter so I didn't have to worry. I plan on just keeping it waxed thoroughly and washing it whenever possible to avoid rust.
Old 10-30-2000, 05:58 AM

I have lived in Minnesota all of my life, and all of my cars developed rust of some kind (1 max, 1 accord, 1 nissan P/U) MN uses massive amounts of salt on the roads, being it gets to -35 degrees, and snows about 10-12 feet a year. I have tried everything to thwart off the salt...weekly washings, a good coat of wax in the fall, even keeping it in a heated garage all winter between drives. After 2-3 years of salt exposure, it just happens. Some people say that it is best to not wash your vehicle all winter because it just thaws the salt in the cracks and corners of your car. If you do drive it and decide to wash it, do a THOROUGH job. WAsh every possible area, because that salt gets everywhere. I just got a new paint job on my '93 GXE, and plan on driving it all winter, washing it about once every 4-5 days, and keeping in my heated garage. Hope this rambling on gives you a little help!
Old 10-30-2000, 06:35 AM

i live in Idaho and have went one winter with my max, no washing or wax and stock rims.
car is fine

only place i got rust is on my exhaust pipe.
Old 10-30-2000, 06:39 AM

i take that back
2 winters
damn
where the hell does time go?
going into 3rd now
Old 10-30-2000, 06:49 AM

Does the Idaho D.O.T. use salt? That is the problem in MN, so much salt that it makes a black Max look white.
Old 10-30-2000, 07:19 AM

They use some salt and alot of sand. If i remember correctly. Mostly sand i think though.
Old 10-30-2000, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Isaacm
I have lived in Minnesota all of my life, and all of my cars developed rust of some kind (1 max, 1 accord, 1 nissan P/U) MN uses massive amounts of salt on the roads, being it gets to -35 degrees, and snows about 10-12 feet a year. I have tried everything to thwart off the salt...weekly washings, a good coat of wax in the fall, even keeping it in a heated garage all winter between drives. After 2-3 years of salt exposure, it just happens. Some people say that it is best to not wash your vehicle all winter because it just thaws the salt in the cracks and corners of your car. If you do drive it and decide to wash it, do a THOROUGH job. WAsh every possible area, because that salt gets everywhere. I just got a new paint job on my '93 GXE, and plan on driving it all winter, washing it about once every 4-5 days, and keeping in my heated garage. Hope this rambling on gives you a little help!

Actually driving your car in the winter then parking it over night in a heated garage, accelerates the rusting process. Reason being while you are driving around all that salt and slush gets kicked up in the wheel wells, now when that hard slush melts the salt up comes in contact with the metal. A normal garage would be a better choice.
My parents have a white 1989 Cadillac Seville that is in mint condition, not one spot of rust and we drive it all winter (Canada). As long as you wax it and wash it every week you should be fine. Oh and the car was only rustproofed once last year.
Old 10-30-2000, 11:04 AM
DDD

1. Rust on the tank filler tube and around it. There's a lot of wet mud trapped between the plastic cover of the tube and the wheel niche. Also the rear safety belt mechanism's mounting bolt (left hand side). Mine was stuck "deadly" with rust, and I've broken it (!) trying to unscrew.
2. Seams on the rear wheels archs. I've found the signs of the through rust even from inside the car under the rear seats backrests.
3. Rear muffler from outside (they say that usually the muffler suffers from the inside).

The above is my own experience. Our wintertime is a heaven for rust.

Regards,
DDD

Old 10-30-2000, 11:45 AM
Rit

Rust, Arrgh! Rust doesn't usually enter through

the paint side of a car, it usually starts from the inner side and then is last seen when it finally bubbles the paint. Thus, a coat of wax is nice, but it really would be best if we could wax the back-sides of the fenders and doors - althought impossible. Also, a heated garage accelerates the chemical reaction of rusting. My solution is to drive my beater from 1st road-salting til spring. Not much fun, but my car is still pristine. If you have to drive it, is is best to go to an automatic car wash every week or so, so you can flush out all of the salt. You lucky ba$tards in Texas are probably laughing your a$$es off right now! I guess this is the price we have to pay for not having 110 degree summer days!
Old 10-30-2000, 12:19 PM

winter

i live in MD, we get the snow, tons of salt/sand...and still get some of those 100+ degree days in summer. I'm definitley going to college in FL.

PJ

PS-are you guys talking about paint rust or like on the exhaust system, suspension, ect? I have 91 Superblack and it's been through every winter up here and paint is in good shape, no rust. Only rust I see is on my muffler.

Old 10-30-2000, 12:19 PM

Nissan had a recall on the gas tank filler tube, because it would rust out. I think my wife's 88 Max, and I know my 91 Stanza were part of the recall. You can get the information from a dealer.