3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

replacing back speakers...6x9s???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 05:25 PM

replacing back speakers...6x9s???

i own a 1990 max and i was going to get my rear speakers replaced because my dad put some really bad ones in there...i went to a couple places and they suggested 6x9s but my dad is telling me 6x9s won't fit back there. does anyone have 6x9s in their 90 maxima or knows if it can get the 6x9s or if i just have to go with the 6.5 or lower?
Old 10-03-2001, 05:29 PM

you can fit 6x9s in there it just takes a little cutting for clearance
Old 10-03-2001, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by 93 SE
you can fit 6x9s in there it just takes a little cutting for clearance
yeah i'm just afraid the installers are going to f up my car...
Old 10-03-2001, 06:38 PM

just go w/ some really nice 6.5 speakers. it's not worth it to try and cut it. you can get good 6.5 speakers that will sound just as good as 6x9. i have kenwood excelon and they are really nice.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:13 AM
Steindawg

Originally posted by matt92gxe
just go w/ some really nice 6.5 speakers. it's not worth it to try and cut it. you can get good 6.5 speakers that will sound just as good as 6x9. i have kenwood excelon and they are really nice.
If you have a GXE you want the 6.75 speakers that actually fit the enclosures. 6.5s will require some type of adapter.

Old 10-07-2001, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Steindawg

If you have a GXE you want the 6.75 speakers that actually fit the enclosures. 6.5s will require some type of adapter.

so i'm finding out. anyone know some good places to get speakers? i am going to shoot myself if i have to rely on best buy for these things, they installed my cd player and it was such a chore...not to mention the cost of it all.

and being a damn college student with no money doesn't help much either!

~Bernadette
Old 10-08-2001, 04:02 PM

Alright..... remember that you have amps in the back - if you have an aftermarket head unit with any more than lets say 30W .. you may find that the rear amps gotta go if you get new 6x9's such as JBL or infiniti. The rear amps were tite back in the day but with the amount of power the current day units diaplace, you don't need it - I think it's like 10A anyways...
Old 10-10-2001, 03:10 PM

does rockford fosgate make 6.75"?? i've found 6.5" but haven't found 6.75"....i'm going to look at those kenwood's too thanks for that.

i got a motor in my rear left window fixed and of course they have to go and find a ton of other **** wrong with my car at the dealer...$600! okay so much for getting some reaaaaalllllyyy nice expensive speakers...i think i'll just go for the reeeeeaaaallly nice (a little less expensive) speakers now

~Bernadette
Old 10-10-2001, 03:13 PM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by MyBabyMax

i got a motor in my rear left window fixed and of course they have to go and find a ton of other **** wrong with my car at the dealer...$600!
~Bernadette
That's because you went to the dealer
Old 10-10-2001, 03:25 PM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by sdGXE93
Alright..... remember that you have amps in the back - if you have an aftermarket head unit with any more than lets say 30W .. you may find that the rear amps gotta go if you get new 6x9's such as JBL or infiniti. The rear amps were tite back in the day but with the amount of power the current day units diaplace, you don't need it - I think it's like 10A anyways...
Every stock Bose speaker has it's own amp. I had Kenwood 6X9's in the rear and JBL 4's in the front without having to do any tweeking to make them fit or without any tweeking to the amps. My aftermarket deck was 40X4 watts and it worked just fine with the speakers I had.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:19 PM
Tom

Crutchfield

Take a look at their site. When you buy from them, it comes with an installation kit.

I installed these in my Max.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IKYKFnE...113KFC1738&s=0

These aren't bad at all. I give it an A for highs, A for mid-range, but only B for Bass. For the price, it's a good value.
Old 10-11-2001, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Been there, done that…

BabyMax, (sorry guys, this is a long one…)

I don't know if you mentioned whether or not you had the Bose system in your ride or not. In case you have the Bose assembly in there, here's what you must do… (if you don't, then just skip this comment)

1) Get rid of the crap back there! I bought my Max used, and the previous owner had enough sense to get rid of the Bose speakers in the back and replace them with some 4-Way Kenwood 6x9s. The problem was that he/she re-mounted them to the amp assemblies back there, and it made them sound like pure s#i$%! (you get the idea). This sounds like this is what you're experiencing. Your dear old dad just replaced the speakers he saw back there with what you have now, and they now sound like s#i$%!. The problem isn't the speakers, (unless they are cheapos or are damaged to begin with) but the amp assemblies that your speakers are attached to. The back seat has to be pulled off the hinges and the rear deck has to be removed before you can unscrew the Bose amp assemblies and remove them (they're bolted to the metal of the rear deck, and the nuts that hold them in place are under your rear deck lid. The covers for the speakers are attached to the rear deck lid, so don't try to remove them - just take the whole rear deck lid out, and the speaker covers will go with it)

2) Pull out your search feature for this topic and find the previous thread(s) that deal with this topic. I know it's here because I used the same wonderful advice to get my amp assemblies out! (I may have given you enough information to do it in point #1, though).

3) Decide on which speakers you want to run back there. I re-used a pair of speaker adapters that I had on a pair of Audiobahn 6x9s that I had in an old Chrysler 5th Avenue that I used to own. The rear deck on that car only holds 4x6s, so the guy installed them Audiobahns with the plastic 6x9-to-4x6 adapter, and they sounded AWESOME back there (like I had some subs back there), even though the car was almost as old as I am I'd go with the 6x9s that your dad put back there BEFORE you go out and buy some more speakers. Try to locate a speaker adapter like I just described, and have those 6x9s re-installed. I re-used these adapters in my Max and it made a HUGE difference in the sound I now get out of those Kenwood 6x9s! (They almost sound as good as those Audiobahns I had). You may want to go with a different speaker size once you see what you've got to work with back there. Speakers that are 6.5" to 6.75" in diameter should fit back there perfectly, and you might want to mount them from the bottom instead of from the top to make sure that your rear deck doesn't interfere with the movement of the speaker.

4) Don't give up!!! These are minor problems that some of us have already gone through, or are about to go through. Such is the life of us Maxima owners!

Sound advice: I wouldn't spend a whole lot on your rear deck speakers in any case. You sit up front, and you should have your best speakers in the front where you can enjoy them the most. You can almost get away with anything in the back just to add to your rear soundstage, as long as it's not distorted. Save your cash munny on your front speakers, head unit, amp(s), subs, etc. and I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride even more! Good luck!

peace2u