3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Big(ger) Brake Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by mikekantor
I hope you guys realize that the LSV talk wont work unless you transfer over the entire ABS system. The metal lines go to different places and have different shapes, so you cant swap them and expect it to end up at the master cylinder.

The cobra + z32 stops quite well, even on what I think might be my poor-quality pads. The rotors are real heavy though, there is a noticeable drop in the "umpf" department.
o yeah... that's right, those are the lines OUT of the abs thing.... hmmm. well i've heard that it's possible to make custom lines as necessary.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

Why do people insist on ice skating uphill?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Why do people insist on ice skating uphill?
clarify.... you mean retrofitting LSVs? buying a non-abs car and trying to mess with ABS parts?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yes and yes. If better braking is the goal. I suppose it could be done if you swapped ALL of the abs parts (including the ABS ecu) but the net result would be?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:08 AM
I can has?

Hmm, I'm sure 4 Wheel Disc Cars with a BBK will stop better than Non BBK, ABS car's.... but I absolutely LOVE my ABS... My cousin and I have nearly the same setup now that I did the rear Disc swap on his GXE, but mine stop's a thousand times better...

Not that I would swap ABS parts to a Non-ABS car...
Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes and yes. If better braking is the goal. I suppose it could be done if you swapped ALL of the abs parts (including the ABS ecu) but the net result would be?
+1

... and including the axles, and the sensors, oh my!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Hmm, I'm sure 4 Wheel Disc Cars with a BBK will stop better than Non BBK, ABS car's.... but I absolutely LOVE my ABS... My cousin and I have nearly the same setup now that I did the rear Disc swap on his GXE, but mine stop's a thousand times better...

Not that I would swap ABS parts to a Non-ABS car...
Have you taken wheel width into account? pad type? fluid condition? There is a lot more to gain in other areas.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

so like... there's no possible benefit of putting the LSVs on a non-abs car? or you mean it's just too much trouble for what it will do? I know the piping would be a little bit of a challenge b/c of the mis-matched-ness, but they would still function as designed if the piping is done properly, right?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I can has?

Have you taken wheel width into account? pad type? fluid condition? There is a lot more to gain in other areas.
Well, he has 6.5" Rims, I have 7" so that may help a little... We both have new fluid, and we both have HAWK HPS Pads.

The only real difference is that I have Brembo rotors up front (Where as he has brand new OEM One's), and I have Hawk Pads in the rear as well, (He has ceramic, only generic)

But for the things you can take into account, my stopping power beats his by a LONG shot, and I think it has to do with the ABS.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

I think he still might have the original brake bias % from the disc/drum setup vs having the disc/disc bias. But I can't remember if the two are truely diff or not. I do know that Matt93se thought it was well worth the swap when he first did it years ago.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I think he still might have the original brake bias % from the disc/drum setup vs having the disc/disc bias. But I can't remember if the two are truely diff or not. I do know that Matt93se thought it was well worth the swap when he first did it years ago.
when did matt have drum brakes??? he has a VE which = SE which = 4 discs... or was this on some GXE he was playing with?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Young one, he didn't always have a VE. I turned him onto VEs.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
when did matt have drum brakes??? he has a VE which = SE which = 4 discs... or was this on some GXE he was playing with?
Oh, I HIGHLY recommend the Drum to Disc, and wouldn't even recommend the NON-ABS to ABS swap; just because like everyone else is saying there is a lot more to gain in other area's. But I probably wouldn't buy another 3rd gen if it didn't have ABS to start with. I can literally slam on my brakes going 70 or so and the car just HALTS, no skidding, no sliding, no screeching... And now with the tokico/eibach the front of the car doesn't even dip that much... You can feel the internals in your body slosh forward Not bad for the price.

From about 55 seconds in, to about a minute three watch how the car goes from 88mph down to 40 about half brake pressure applied.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zmiv0m1ZVcg

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 06-19-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Young one, he didn't always have a VE. I turned him onto VEs.
ohh. gotcha. i just knew he's had his VE for a while tho, so i figured that's where he started.

Oh, I HIGHLY recommend the Drum to Disc, and wouldn't even recommend the NON-ABS to ABS swap; just because like everyone else is saying there is a lot more to gain in other area's. But I probably wouldn't buy another 3rd gen if it didn't have ABS to start with. I can literally slam on my brakes going 70 or so and the car just HALTS, no skidding, no sliding, no screeching... And now with the tokico/eibach the front of the car doesn't even dip that much... You can feel the internals in your body slosh forward Not bad for the price.
well i never planned to put ABS on the car, all I wanted was to retro on the LSVs onto my non-ABS car. my struts suck ***** tho, so i suspect my braking will have the world's biggest-ever improvement when i go from a worn GXE suspension and brake package to a SE/KYB spring/strut package with a disc swap and BBK. Now i realize that Konis would be far better than the KYBs.... but I'm not trying to break the bank on struts alone. is Tociko much better of a choice or value than KYB or just a matter of personal preference?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
I can has?

ohh. gotcha. i just knew he's had his VE for a while tho, so i figured that's where he started.

well i never planned to put ABS on the car, all I wanted was to retro on the LSVs onto my non-ABS car. my struts suck ***** tho, so i suspect my braking will have the world's biggest-ever improvement when i go from a worn GXE suspension and brake package to a SE/KYB spring/strut package with a disc swap and BBK. Now i realize that Konis would be far better than the KYBs.... but I'm not trying to break the bank on struts alone. is Tociko much better of a choice or value than KYB or just a matter of personal preference?
In my opinion yes, Tokico is a much better shock. And if you buy them new I'm pretty sure they have a limited lifetime warranty. They won't replace them if you dog them, but they will in the event of a defect or a problem.

Monroe(trash), KYB(Decent, but I wouldn't drop with them), Tokico(Fine for dropping on Eibach/B&G) and If I got something any lower I'd Go Koni.

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 06-19-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

In my opinion yes, Tokico is a much better shock. And if you buy them new I'm pretty sure they have a limited lifetime warranty. They won't replace them if you dog them, but they will in the event of a defect or a problem.

Monroe(trash), KYB(Decent, but I wouldn't drop with them), Tokico(Fine for dropping on Eibach) and If I got something any lower I'd Go Koni.
well, I don't know that I ever really plan to drop my ride height, but I'll see about getting Tokicos. and yes i know what you mean about monroes... i've put 20k on the monroes i have on there right now, which were installed by the PO at some point, and yeah.... my car has no handling anymore, even for a GXE.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I can has?

well, I don't know that I ever really plan to drop my ride height, but I'll see about getting Tokicos. and yes i know what you mean about monroes... i've put 20k on the monroes i have on there right now, which were installed by the PO at some point, and yeah.... my car has no handling anymore, even for a GXE.
Hmm, no plans to lower huh? You'd be surprised what BIG effects Tokico/Eibach has over even a new stock SE spring/Tokico Strut Combo. Eibach makes awesome springs, and the drop is very subtle visually (I'd rather go B&G)... but makes up for it in the ride... For the most part it is decently smooth, maybe a little annoying on bumpy roads, and be prepared to nick your Front Sway bar only at BIG speed bumps, but the way the car feels on curves and the interstate is AMAZING over stock.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

lol. You two should grab a ride with someone with eibachs/konis/frt & rear sways and a bbk. I bet you wouldn't mess with 1/2 of this stuff you guys are talking about.

I couldn't believe how much better used Konis were over my Crapkicos.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:51 PM
I can has?

lol. You two should grab a ride with someone with eibachs/konis/frt & rear sways and a bbk. I bet you wouldn't mess with 1/2 of this stuff you guys are talking about.

Hah, I would LOVE to have Koni's but never see any used... and I just don't have enough money to buy new, though I am getting some suspension tech front and rear sway bars very soon, a rear strut tower brace, Matt's rear links/Stage 2 Tie Bar, and poly bushings.

But that's after my other big engine/tranny project
Old 06-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i'm sure i'll get that chance this weekend at Maxus. I'm heading out around midnight tonight.... so i won't be sleeping again until tomorrow night.

by "wouldn't mess with 1/2 of this stuff you guys are talking about" you mean we'd skip the intermediate-quality stuff and go straight for the high-end stuff? I do plan to do a Cobra/Z31 BBK setup, it's just a matter of the fact that I'm still trying to recover from not making but $1500 TOTAL from december to march... and the expenses didn't go away. so yeah, I plan to do a lot of things but don't really plan to do to them until I know what's the best way to go for how much i plan on spending. so this is quite helpful to me, letting the people that have different setups say what they have and how well it works.

the reason i didn't plan to lower is because there are scrapeage issues at my parents house... so i can't get in and out of the driveway without slamming the car onto the street if i'm lowered. or maybe that's just the struts' fault. who knows. but if eibach is just a tiny drop it might be OK.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

The cobra + z32 stops quite well, even on what I think might be my poor-quality pads. The rotors are real heavy though, there is a noticeable drop in the "umpf" department.
That's why I was asking about the Wilwood setup. Did anyone look at this link?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...m120272021135&

What is the total price for the Z32/Q45 setup? This Wilwood looks to be available for around $700. With the lighter calipers it may be worth it.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by mrkanda
That's why I was asking about the Wilwood setup. Did anyone look at this link?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...m120272021135&

What is the total price for the Z32/Q45 setup? This Wilwood looks to be available for around $700. With the lighter calipers it may be worth it.
It ain't the caliper weigh that hurts. It's the rotor weight. Since that kit uses 1 pc rotors, it will be heavy also. If you want lightweight big rotors, you have to pay and go 2 pc.l
Old 06-20-2008, 04:53 AM
STFU n00b!

Ohhh young Grasshoppah... I was not always of the VE world... I've only had the VE for about 7 years...

My first Maxima: (and still my favorite color!)
http://blehmco.com/pics/old_max/car/good_pics/1.jpg
http://blehmco.com/pics/old_max/car/good_pics/2.jpg
http://blehmco.com/pics/old_max/car/good_pics/7.jpg
http://blehmco.com/pics/old_max/car/good_pics/4.jpg
http://blehmco.com/pics/old_max/car/good_pics/11.jpg
http://blehmco.com/pics/old_max/car/dash_kit/dash11.jpg

Me and Kaleb doing the first two rear disc conversions on our GXEs- about 9 years ago: http://blehmco.com/faq/rear_disc_conversion/

Jeffy's right on all accounts in the thread.

Do you think Nissan engineers designed the non-ABS cars to use/need the LSVs? Do you really think a bunch of internet forum ****** are going to design a better brake system than 50 professional brake system engineers that had YEARS to develop a brake system on their cars?
leave the LSVs alone. put on properly sized calipers and good quality pads, and any BBK will do what it needs.

then again, I've got adjustable proportioning valves on my car, so I can't say that too loud.

Last edited by Matt93SE; 06-20-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

It's not about it being "intermediate". It's about if it's a good thing to do at all. IMHO it's not. It's a TON of work, won't net you anything and it will end up costing more than doing a mod that's actually worthwhile. If you're THAT much on a budget, look into the 6th gen front brake swap and the Z31 rear rotor and early maxima bracket swap ( I used to make the rear brackets but the interest/cost ratio is almost nil). If you don't have the funds for this, then, don't mod. Just keep your oem stuff running properly.

i'm sure i'll get that chance this weekend at Maxus. I'm heading out around midnight tonight.... so i won't be sleeping again until tomorrow night.

by "wouldn't mess with 1/2 of this stuff you guys are talking about" you mean we'd skip the intermediate-quality stuff and go straight for the high-end stuff? I do plan to do a Cobra/Z31 BBK setup, it's just a matter of the fact that I'm still trying to recover from not making but $1500 TOTAL from december to march... and the expenses didn't go away. so yeah, I plan to do a lot of things but don't really plan to do to them until I know what's the best way to go for how much i plan on spending. so this is quite helpful to me, letting the people that have different setups say what they have and how well it works.

the reason i didn't plan to lower is because there are scrapeage issues at my parents house... so i can't get in and out of the driveway without slamming the car onto the street if i'm lowered. or maybe that's just the struts' fault. who knows. but if eibach is just a tiny drop it might be OK.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Ohhh young Grasshoppah... I was not always of the VE world... I've only had the VE for about 7 years...

Me and Kaleb doing the first two rear disc conversions on our GXEs- about 9 years ago: http://blehmco.com/faq/rear_disc_conversion/

Do you think Nissan engineers designed the non-ABS cars to use/need the LSVs? Do you really think a bunch of internet forum ****** are going to design a better brake system than 50 professional brake system engineers that had YEARS to develop a brake system on their cars?
leave the LSVs alone. put on properly sized calipers and good quality pads, and any BBK will do what it needs.

then again, I've got adjustable proportioning valves on my car, so I can't say that too loud.
you can say it as loud as you want.. your VE is a track car and the more adjustibility the better. I know all-too-well what you mean about outdoing engineers... i just figured they were omitted as some sort of a cost reduction or something.

It's not about it being "intermediate". It's about if it's a good thing to do at all. IMHO it's not. It's a TON of work, won't net you anything and it will end up costing more than doing a mod that's actually worthwhile. If you're THAT much on a budget, look into the 6th gen front brake swap and the Z31 rear rotor and early maxima bracket swap ( I used to make the rear brackets but the interest/cost ratio is almost nil). If you don't have the funds for this, then, don't mod. Just keep your oem stuff running properly.
well, my brakes currently suck a hard one, so i was planning on replacing all the stuff, but before I do i wanted to get a working rear disc swap and all that. My car is an early maxima so i actually would need the later calipers and tq member wouldn't i? i have all that stuff either way, just haven't installed it. need money for the pads and rotors.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

I have that same Drop/Wheel/Tire Size combo on my car... I love the way it sits and Black Emerald is my favorite color on Maxima's too... But at Night/ In the Right Sun the pearl owns. +1 On not messing with the ABS or Proportioning valves, they're nice to have stock... but for the money there are better ways of improving the braking system.