3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

94 GXE engine staling

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

94 GXE engine staling

I have a 94 Maxima GXE with 84,000 miles on it. I love this car, but it really bothers me recently. The engine vebrates when running in highway. The harder the gas was pushed, the stronger the vibration I can feel. Sometimes the engine just cuts off at stop and go conditions. Although the car can be restarted right away, it generally has rough idel. The check engine light was on once, and the code refered to the fuel pump. Have it replaced, the problem is still there. The timing belt was changed at 70,000 miles. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:14 PM

Re: 94 GXE engine staling

Originally posted by Sagan
I have a 94 Maxima GXE with 84,000 miles on it. I love this car, but it really bothers me recently. The engine vebrates when running in highway. The harder the gas was pushed, the stronger the vibration I can feel. Sometimes the engine just cuts off at stop and go conditions. Although the car can be restarted right away, it generally has rough idel. The check engine light was on once, and the code refered to the fuel pump. Have it replaced, the problem is still there. The timing belt was changed at 70,000 miles. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Maybe fuel injectors? Also how is your ignition system? I would do two things:

1) Use a mechanic's stepthoscope to listen to your fuel injectors - they should all have even and consistant "clicks" across the board.

2) Use a timing light to confirm that all of your cylinders are firing and firing properly.

Hopefully that will help get you in the right direction by narrowing down some potential issues.

Good luck,
Old 10-22-2001, 05:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: 94 GXE engine staling

Thanks for the info Brian! Forgot to mention my car is Auto. Actually, my first guess was the bad fuel injector. Went to see 2 techs, both of them said the injector is fine. The first tech suggested replacing the MAF sensor, which I tested and believe it is ok. The second one suggested replacing the timing belt, and he did that. The engine staling problem seems fixed, but shows up 2 weeks later. Came back to the tech, he cannot find the problem. The engine only cuts off at low speed (<1000RPM), and might stale at 50~70mph, otherwise, it runs fine. I have no ignition problem, but do have rough idle sometimes, and the exhaust smells very bad. Is it engine or transmission related? Or caused by clogged catalytic converter? How can I narrow down it? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Engine system related, not transmission. Not catalytic converter.
Some ideas:
1) How does the exhaust smell "bad"? Like unburned gasoline? Eggs? What colour is the exhaust? Heavy & sooty or... ? (Car is getting too much gas)
2) Has the fuel filter been changed? (Car isn't getting enough gas - don't think this is it though since car sounds like it runs ok sometimes right?)

And you are sure your ignition is okay and all the fuel injectors are okay, so if I were you I'd either find a better mechanic or dig up a service manual and go through the tedious process of testing all the engine management sensors that might be related (and maybe the ECU too). This might be one of those weird intermittent problems that computerized engines can have.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:16 AM
STFU n00b!

This has been a common problem on GXEs, and other Nissans with regular distributor-type ignition systems..

My GF's 97 Altima (with 25k miles) had bad spark plug wires.. I replaced the spark plugs, distrib cap and rotor trying to find it.. never thought it would be the wires, as they should last years... Well it was.. replaced the wires and the problem has been gone ever since.

Hers also had the intermittent check engine light like you're talking about.. it'd backfire pretty bad once or twice, then the light would come on, then stay for a day or so until it'd backfire again, then it'd go off...

weird stuff, but it turned out to be as simple as plug wires.

The thing with it going away after the mechanic changed the timing belt is that he probably disconnected the wires to remove enough parts to change the belt- and when he put them back on, the bad connection (wherever it is) was okay for a short while.. then it went bad again.. blah blah blah.I think I made my point.. check your plug wires and see how that does.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have changed the fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve and spark plugs. I will have the plug wires replaced first, don't think they were replaced, and will let you know what's coming out. Thanks for the advise.
Old 10-25-2001, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Plug wires changed

Changed the wires yesterday. The coil wire did in bad condition. Test drive the car, it run like a maxima should be. But it did the whole staling thing again this morning. I will check the cap and rotor this weekend, replace them if necessary. Hope this can fix the problem.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank Matt, problem solved.

Replaced the distributor cap and rator, problem solved. Thanks for you guy's help, especially Matt. The original cap is in bad shape, and it caused the engine staling and rough ideling. Hope this can help other guys who have the similiar problem. Check your plug wires and the cap.
Old 11-08-2001, 07:59 PM
93bluemaxSE

Re: 94 GXE engine staling

Had the same problem, car studdered severely then just quit. Would turn over, but no engine fire. Replaced the fuel pump as you did, but I need to ask: did you replace the fuel filter also?? My filter was so backed up, it restricted the flow of fuel to the point that I think it was part of the reason my pump went.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by Sagan

Old 11-09-2001, 11:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by 93bluemaxSE
did you replace the fuel filter also??
Yeah, I replaced the fuel filter along with the fuel pump. I didn't see any dirty there. The error code always refered to the fuel pump. Even though the voltage test of the old pump didn't show any error, I have it replaced. The funning thing is that the car performanced exactly the same as before. I guess the old pump is ok, and the ecu not always give the correct info. I still have the old pump in my garage, if someone needs it I can sell it.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:51 PM
93bluemaxSE

If still parting your 93 SE out, am interested in the environmental control switches. Snapped a button off the temperature control and would love to replace it. Just let me know via email...beatybj@hotmail.com.

Thanks !

Originally posted by Matt93SE
This has been a common problem on GXEs, and other Nissans with regular distributor-type ignition systems..

My GF's 97 Altima (with 25k miles) had bad spark plug wires.. I replaced the spark plugs, distrib cap and rotor trying to find it.. never thought it would be the wires, as they should last years... Well it was.. replaced the wires and the problem has been gone ever since.

Hers also had the intermittent check engine light like you're talking about.. it'd backfire pretty bad once or twice, then the light would come on, then stay for a day or so until it'd backfire again, then it'd go off...

weird stuff, but it turned out to be as simple as plug wires.

The thing with it going away after the mechanic changed the timing belt is that he probably disconnected the wires to remove enough parts to change the belt- and when he put them back on, the bad connection (wherever it is) was okay for a short while.. then it went bad again.. blah blah blah.I think I made my point.. check your plug wires and see how that does.

Old 11-09-2001, 05:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 93bluemaxSE
Had the same problem, car studdered severely then just quit. Would turn over, but no engine fire. Replaced the fuel pump as you did, but I need to ask: did you replace the fuel filter also?? My filter was so backed up, it restricted the flow of fuel to the point that I think it was part of the reason my pump went.

Good Luck.

I had this same problem with my 86 max and I tried fuel filters and pump voltage but I finally fixed the prob with changing the distributor and my prob went away I would strongly suggest tha you get one from the local Junk yard preferably off of a car with the hood on it
Old 11-09-2001, 05:44 PM

1) How does the exhaust smell "bad"? Like unburned gasoline? Eggs? What colour is the exhaust? Heavy & sooty or... ? (Car is getting too much gas)
2) Has the fuel filter been changed? (Car isn't getting enough gas - don't think this is it though since car sounds like it runs ok sometimes right?)

And you are sure your ignition is okay and all the fuel injectors are okay, so if I were you I'd either find a better mechanic or dig up a service manual and go through the tedious process of testing all the engine management sensors that might be related (and maybe the ECU too). This might be one of those weird intermittent problems that computerized engines can have. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have a 94 gxe that just failed emissions,carbon monoxide was almost 40 times legal limit... this is from unburned gas right? I have noticed latley that i am getting no more than 35 miles to an 1/8 tank... pretty ****ty considering i dont stomp on her. I'mnot exactly sure what I should start with to try & correct the problem, besides sell it, an pointers?