3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need Help - Can't remove driver's side CV halfshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Tom

Need Help - Can't remove driver's side CV halfshaft

I got the passenger side off without too much trouble, but I can't get the driver's side halfshaft out.

The repair manual says, after I remove the passenger side halfshaft, tap the end of the driver's side halfshaft through the differential using a screwdriver to drift it out. I tried this many times, but it's impossible to see inside the differential to see that the screwdriver is hitting the end of the halfshaft. Also being upside down under the car and having all kinds of stuff in the way (Y-pipe, cross member, etc..) doesn't help.

I tried to just yank it out, but the shaft just elongates at the inner CV joint.

I was reading Matt's write up and wish I could just jerk the whole thing out. I tried to see if I can pry it, but access is limited.

http://blehmco.com/faq/CV%20boot%20change.txt

I have a brand-new halfshaft ready to install, so it doesn't matter if the old halfshafts get beat up.

How do you guys do it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, I have new axles seals. I can't seem to get the old one out..

Last edited by Tom; 12-20-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

all i did was stick a FAT flat-tip screwdriver between the transmission casing and the axle, and pry gently.

you can beat it up all you want, but if that lockring breaks inside the transmission, you may be in for a lot of trouble.

all in all the DS axle replacement took me a total of 15 minutes (aside from having the wrong parts in the first place...) It was the easiest thing i have ever done on a car, mechanically. ;x
Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 PM

I had the same problem a while back and following I think it was MyGreenMax's advice, I used a crowbar to pry it out. The fact that there's barely enough space to stick a crowbar didn't help either, but after about 5 minutes of cursing and pinched finger, I managed to get that sucker out.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Tom

Thanks USTFDES. I got the fattest flat tip screw driver I had and it came out. The little lock ring came out intact also.

Amazing how it just came out. I found the best place to pry it is the right side of the shaft.

It's a good thing I got a new axle seal as I damaged it while prying out the shaft.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Tom
Thanks USTFDES. I got the fattest flat tip screw driver I had and it came out. The little lock ring came out intact also.

Amazing how it just came out. I found the best place to pry it is the right side of the shaft.

It's a good thing I got a new axle seal as I damaged it while prying out the shaft.
Dude make sure that seal is in straight and FLUSH...I ended up getting a new trans cuz all my fluid leaked out and I had to keep pouring new trans fluid in which had "detergent" and finished off what I had left on my ORIGINAL VG slushbox with 174k miles on.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

Originally Posted by Tom

so did i, but i already had the new seal, planned to install it already....yeah, make sure you get it in right, because i BELIEVE mine is still leaking for some reason, will find out why when i yank the tranny to replace my clutch soon.

glad i could help!