3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

In Dash GPS where clock went

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
So you guys actually think its starting to turn out ok or you guys just Bsing me here?
No not BS'ing at all dude. I think most of us think it is a great idea in theory, but simply looks rough at this stage (read: like your center console became involved with a fire lol).

I actually have an example of that entire trim piece fiber-glassed smooth. 'Others' have experimented don't ya know
Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by hadman
No not BS'ing at all dude. I think most of us think it is a great idea in theory, but simply looks rough at this stage (read: like your center console became involved with a fire lol).

I actually have an example of that entire trim piece fiber-glassed smooth. 'Others' have experimented don't ya know
Of course it looks rough, I just wanted to post from the beginning to show you guys from the beginning and post pics and updates as I go. I suppose I could've done the finished product pictures only upon succesfully completing (LIKE YOU DO) but I think people just have to see how much work is involved and what obstacles you come across.

I'd like to see these pictures of your fiberglass piece. Also have you heard of texture paint and have you tried it if first answer is yes?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 PM

Of course it looks rough, I just wanted to post from the beginning to show you guys from the beginning and post pics and updates as I go. I suppose I could've done the finished product pictures only upon succesfully completing (LIKE YOU DO) but I think people just have to see how much work is involved and what obstacles you come across.

I'd like to see these pictures of your fiberglass piece. Also have you heard of texture paint and have you tried it if first answer is yes?
Yeah I can snap a pic of that piece for you. Will upload it tomorrow. Yes I have heard of the textured paint, but haven't used it before. I've heard it's been used with decent results though.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by hadman
Yeah I can snap a pic of that piece for you. Will upload it tomorrow. Yes I have heard of the textured paint, but haven't used it before. I've heard it's been used with decent results though.
Oh boy, I like decent results...my gfs dad told me he's used it and will yield very similar texture and it should look fine. Lets hope its true.

Anyone know any specific type I should get ?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

heh BS...BenStoked...
****, dude, when youre done with this one, ill make a template for my 200, and send it 2 ya, so you can make me one.
asside from the texture, it is almost perfect(almost, cause i cant see it in person)
Old 02-10-2008, 02:23 AM

look for SEM Texture Coating
Old 02-10-2008, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by benstoked
heh BS...BenStoked...
****, dude, when youre done with this one, ill make a template for my 200, and send it 2 ya, so you can make me one.
asside from the texture, it is almost perfect(almost, cause i cant see it in person)
Thank you sir, I was just checkin out the specs of the 200 specifically comparing size but then got distracted and noticed there's an update for mine and yours
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/do...D=134&pID=6290
looks like they fixed A LOT of crap on mine, gonna have to wait for the project to finish so I can pull it out and hook it up for updating.

Originally Posted by maximal
look for SEM Texture Coating
thank you sir
Old 02-10-2008, 06:10 AM
mod or sell?

to get the texture you may want to look for :
Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
to get the texture you may want to look for :
oh, yeah?
post 12:
{cut out crap}
as far as texture, i've seen kits to fix vinyl and leather seats, which have a similar texture, but im not sure how well would they work...
{l'il more crap}
hehe, I beat you, but you do have a picture of the product.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

as for templates. your screen is the same size as mine. i forgot you had the 350...
Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 AM
mod or sell?

oh, yeah?
post 12:

hehe, I beat you, but you do have a picture of the product.
your comment was soo last year though

Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

but it makes me the OG of the suggestion!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM

hmm im trying something similar with a garmin i5. Not as big, (nor touchscreen) but seemed to fit without too much difficulty.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../92max/gps.jpg

I had to sacrifice the open/close control for the vent to the right of it. I mounted the speaker from the unit directly in the vent.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ax/gpsspkr.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ax/gpsdash.jpg

It'll be a few days before I get time to put it all together in the car. I'll be hooked to an external antenna that is mounted on the front of the dash (in the summer i'll move it to the exterior of the car)
Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by smitty124

hmm im trying something similar with a garmin i5. Not as big, (nor touchscreen) but seemed to fit without too much difficulty.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../92max/gps.jpg

I had to sacrifice the open/close control for the vent to the right of it. I mounted the speaker from the unit directly in the vent.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ax/gpsspkr.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ax/gpsdash.jpg

It'll be a few days before I get time to put it all together in the car. I'll be hooked to an external antenna that is mounted on the front of the dash (in the summer i'll move it to the exterior of the car)
NIIICE, holy crap dude you're crazy! I would've never taken mine apart but lookin good, glad I inspired you ( I'm guessing it was me right?)

Thanks to BS(lol) and Brian for pointing out the vinyl repair kit, also looks like it might work but first I gotta smoother everything out and that'll be zhe last thing
Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 AM

lol of course it was you bluetoof!

anyhow, whenver i buy a new electronic gadget I try to find the most unique way to void the warranty. :P

i'm also doing a bunch of other mods all at once, but I need a better camera before I can send pics of those.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:00 AM

anyhow, whenver i buy a new electronic gadget I try to find the most unique way to void the warranty. :P

i'm also doing a bunch of other mods all at once, but I need a better camera before I can send pics of those.
Yo I noticed you're in Toronto! I'm probably driving up there with some buddies in summer to partay! We've heard there's some pretty damn good clubs up there.

back ot, I on the other hand usually always [try to] find a way to EXTEND the warranty
Old 02-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Alex_V

John Ive used a hammer finish paint alot, I believe its from rustoleum and it looks great. But the vinyl should look factory. But if you didn't get the repair kit to work the hammered finish might look good in a few places on your interior trim.

~Alex

Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Alex_V
John Ive used a hammer finish paint alot, I believe its from rustoleum and it looks great. But the vinyl should look factory. But if you didn't get the repair kit to work the hammered finish might look good in a few places on your interior trim.

~Alex
maybe just get a dash trim kit
Old 02-10-2008, 12:08 PM

hmm I was also thinking about that dont they like only have stainless (which I like but not for the 3rd gen) and then woodgrain which I wouldn't want either?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I think there is a cf kit available, too. wouldnt look that good with the auto.
after you swap a 5 speed in(do it this weekend!lol) itll look better
Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
mod or sell?

hmm I was also thinking about that dont they like only have stainless (which I like but not for the 3rd gen) and then woodgrain which I wouldn't want either?
I'd have to look closer.
http://www.mimousa.com/home.asp?dir=dashlist&prod=136
let me know if you want pricing on one of the kits.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:27 PM

Here's the pics I said I'd upload for you. It was never entirely finished, as you can see from the outline of the backing piece, but you can see how it was smoothed in to the contour of the bezel.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I'd have to look closer.
http://www.mimousa.com/home.asp?dir=dashlist&prod=136
let me know if you want pricing on one of the kits.
LOOK, JOHN! BLUE carbon fiber! itll match the gauges!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:44 PM

looks good smitty

hey john, that's pretty much what i meant. the only way to truly make it look oem is to take apart the unit and use the gps face/bezel and integrate that directly into the clock area.

smitty: the top of the gps bezel seems to be popping out a bit too far. you'd have to fill in this area, but there still might be a wierd transition. it might look better if you recessed it a bit more. before you go to far, i'd suggest mounting it in the dash and check the viewing angle. also, make sure there's no glare from the sun. also, i would have mounted the speaker in the driver's side vent...but that's just me. good job so far. looking forward to seeing completed pics.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:03 PM

Well that solves my mystery where to put a couple gauges hadman Looks good!

Also if you could mount a single gauge and a sexy clock from a supra.

Last edited by goon9; 02-10-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by maximal
looks good smitty

hey john, that's pretty much what i meant. the only way to truly make it look oem is to take apart the unit and use the gps face/bezel and integrate that directly into the clock area.
yes and no for me. My GPS is silver ( yes I know i can paint it) and I wouldn't take apart a $450 piece of equipment to make it look stock...I can mess around some more and do some more tweaking beside the project isnt even near finished the major stuff is done but not the details.

I do agree though, smitty's doing a kick *** job. Wonder how old his GPS is when it doent have touchscreen

Ben, OOOOO BLUE CB!!! lol I'll keep it stock lookin

hadman, thats how I plan on having mine with smooth lookin shiznit
Old 02-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

haha, that name stuck, even after you got changed back to "colombianmax".

I'm getting GPS one of these days... and I'm thinkin' to try something innovative with it as well.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Hey Smitty that looks pretty good. I'll have to check that out in person if you show up at a local TMEC meet.

Goon - get on eet!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 PM

Heya Bluetoof... err ColombianMax. Did you end up getting it wired to the clock as a power source? If so what wires did you use?

I noticed the black and the brown-white seem to provide an 'always on' source, while the white-blue and black provide power while the key is turned to the on position.

However, it seems this dosent provide enough current to actually power my gps. (through a cig lighter adaptor assembly) while it works fine with the brown-white, I dont want the thing to always be on.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:59 PM

Heya Bluetoof... err ColombianMax. Did you end up getting it wired to the clock as a power source? If so what wires did you use?

I noticed the black and the brown-white seem to provide an 'always on' source, while the white-blue and black provide power while the key is turned to the on position.

However, it seems this dosent provide enough current to actually power my gps. (through a cig lighter adaptor assembly) while it works fine with the brown-white, I dont want the thing to always be on.
I'm using the blue-white and black for my wiring. Turns the GPS on and off with the key My GPS only uses 5V thats why I didnt cut the cig lighter
Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 AM

hmm for some reason the white-blue wire wasnt giving consistent power for me, so I ended up tapping the cig lighter. (gps is also 5v) Anyhow its done, pics coming soon.

And Bluetoof, you need to do a digital acc conversion to go with that gps :P
Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 PM

hmm for some reason the white-blue wire wasnt giving consistent power for me, so I ended up tapping the cig lighter. (gps is also 5v) Anyhow its done, pics coming soon.

And Bluetoof, you need to do a digital acc conversion to go with that gps :P

Oh but I do have it just isnt installed. I'm debating whether taking the time to convert to DCC or not. I want it to match my blue scheme..I dont think I can get the display to go blue just the buttons.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

blue celophane... DURH!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 PM

blue celophane... DURH!
I dont know whether thats a real suggestion or not. I dont know what that is but do tell some more
Old 02-15-2008, 07:55 PM

I think its this blue tinted see thru plastic that comes in paper like sheets? I think people have used it to tint the clock blue, i wanna try it, but dont know wat color to use, i heard pink, but i duno, someone else who really knows this stuff will hopefully chime in.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Well for the most part i've got everythign working, I may still do a little bit more work on the edges when I get some time (highly reflective parts)

I used gloss plastic paint to match the gps face to the rest of the dash, it actually looks good (unless you fire a camera flash at it)

The gps turns on with a key, but can also be overridden by an on/off switch by the coin plate. (other visible switch is for turning on/off extra leds)

ok, I admit I seem to have an LED addiction :P I'll blame it on the fact that I didnt get a light-brite for xmas when I was 6...

I'm going to switch the gauge lights back to white (hyperwhite) as I dont really like the effect I got from mixing red and blue bulbs.

Last edited by smitty124; 02-26-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 AM

look good man
Old 02-27-2008, 07:59 AM

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/smitty124/92max/frontseat.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/smitty124/92max/rdashlight.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/smitty124/92max/fseat2.jpg[IMG]

ok, I admit I seem to have an LED addiction :P I'll blame it on the fact that I didnt get a light-brite for xmas when I was 6...

I'm going to switch the gauge lights back to white (hyperwhite) as I dont really like the effect I got from mixing red and blue bulbs.

Holy crap its like Saturday Night Fever in your dash. But good job actually doing all that.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 AM

C-Max,

I think you should have a gallery of your car and its mods
Old 02-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

blue celophane... DURH!
sorry, john. I forgot about this. use a colored celophane or spotlight gel to change the color of the acc display. it would obviously require you to disasemble the display to put the color inside the window for the display, and you would need to choose a color that would alow you to get the color you want. for example, blue+yellow=green, and so forth (you may have to get ahold of some of your artistic friends to hammer the combination out.(or just google?)

Quick Reply: In Dash GPS where clock went