3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

In Dash GPS where clock went

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
sorry, john. I forgot about this. use a colored celophane or spotlight gel to change the color of the acc display. it would obviously require you to disasemble the display to put the color inside the window for the display, and you would need to choose a color that would alow you to get the color you want. for example, blue+yellow=green, and so forth (you may have to get ahold of some of your artistic friends to hammer the combination out.(or just google?)
combinations of light also work differently form combinations of ink/paint. primary light is RGB and primary opaque is CMY. So while mixing red paint and green paint will make a brownish gray, mixing red light and green light will make yellow. That's another consideration. That's why a green bulb in your brake lights will show amber in the center, fading to red on the outside edge.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

due to errors in my previous post, let me say something:
I am not an artist, and i even failed art class(cant draw, slightly colorblind both ftl), , but i thought primaries were rby. I know computers and video connections are rbg, but hey I just included my credentials.

my point is still valid, however and i did say confer with others.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

due to errors in my previous post, let me say something:
I am not an artist, and i even failed art class(cant draw, slightly colorblind both ftl), , but i thought primaries were rby. I know computers and video connections are rbg, but hey I just included my credentials.

my point is still valid, however and i did say confer with others.
well the 'elementary school' primaries, and for all intents and purposes, are red yellow blue. cyan and magenta are just 'corrected' versions used in printing. magenta is red light and blue light, and cyan is blue light and green light... if you look at a 3way venn diagram of light it makes sense.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

which is why seperate color printer cartriges are "cmy"
i am not arguing, I am conceding
Old 02-27-2008, 02:34 PM

CYM are subtractive (Complement) colors.
For example Cyan can absorb red light.

From the pic by CapeCadaver the complement of a CYM color is the RGB type color opposite of it.

Last edited by Darkwing48; 02-27-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

which is why seperate color printer cartriges are "cmy"
i am not arguing, I am conceding
and i was giving you credit for paying attention in first grade no seriously i was.

now how the hell do we apply this to changing the color of a clockface from green to blue?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM

I like the look of the navi, I hate those ones that suctioncup to the windshield too.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
now how the hell do we apply this to changing the color of a clockface from green to blue?
It requires some tint. I can't remember which color right now
Old 02-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
C-Max,

I think you should have a gallery of your car and its mods
I dont really have that many mods, power ones at least. Just the GPS (incomplete) some suspension and the lil purdy blue lights but I do have a photobucket account with all in there. Thanks for the interest in my (for now) rust bucket

sorry, john. I forgot about this. use a colored celophane or spotlight gel to change the color of the acc display. it would obviously require you to disasemble the display to put the color inside the window for the display, and you would need to choose a color that would alow you to get the color you want. for example, blue+yellow=green, and so forth (you may have to get ahold of some of your artistic friends to hammer the combination out.(or just google?)
thanks dude

Last edited by ColombianMax; 02-27-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
Originally Posted by Darkwing48
It requires some tint. I can't remember which color right now
yeah. youve seen the can lights at concerts, and how they have a colored screen so they only project certain colors. using the amber bulb in a red housing technique, it will change the color. imagine wearing 3d glasses closing one eye so that you see thru the red side(cant remember the other color usually used). now look at a green light, and it wont be green or red. more yellow(?... color blind, remember?). using colored celophane available at most craft and hobby stores, we can change the color of the acc display. or whatever other display we want to change. its been a long time since ive been in a craft shop, but if i recall correctly, they are available in varying levels of opacity, too.(referring to it being translucent, but harder to see thru given a single, steady light source.)
Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Alright update since I havent in over two years.... figured the forum noobies could have something to look at too since the forum has been so dead.

I picked up a $100 Dremel with all accessories (as far as I know) and sometime this week I might start working on smoothing down the edges... or I might just restart the project from scratch using the dremel instead of a butter knife and a propane torch hahaha...

Open to comments or suggestions on what I can improve this time, thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Alright update since I havent in over two years.... figured the forum noobies could have something to look at too since the forum has been so dead.

I picked up a $100 Dremel with all accessories (as far as I know) and sometime this week I might start working on smoothing down the edges... or I might just restart the project from scratch using the dremel instead of a butter knife and a propane torch hahaha...

rig up a usb cable, to update maps and such. mine keeps whining about map updates...

or a newer gps? the 200w (or as it a 205w? can't remember and too busy playing with a tablet pc to flip back a page or two) is becoming dated
Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
rig up a usb cable, to update maps and such. mine keeps whining about map updates...

or a newer gps? the 200w (or as it a 205w? can't remember and too busy playing with a tablet pc to flip back a page or two) is becoming dated
I have a Nuvi 350 but I'm not gonna spend $99 to update it when I can buy something newer for a couple dollars more
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I have a Nuvi 350 but I'm not gonna spend $99 to update it when I can buy something newer for a couple dollars more
buy an update? what the f.... oh... and i thought you were all techy an' junk
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Just get a double DIN navigation/dvd/stereo and quit effing up your dash already.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by nismax1994
Just get a double DIN navigation/dvd/stereo and quit effing up your dash already.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Oh but I do have one, but I dont like the location where it would go on the third gen. You really come off like an ******* by the way you worded your sentence and I dont appreciate ********. If you dont like it, fine but dont need to bash it when it's not even complete.

And just for reference, its not the dash, its the bezel. If I ever wanted to go back to stock, I just simply have to remove approximately 8 screws, so whether I'm ****ing it up or not; its irrelevant because the damage can easily be undone.

Originally Posted by Hectic
Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
buy an update? what the f.... oh... and i thought you were all techy an' junk
I am but only on the weekends, perhaps you should link me to this unpurchased update
Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 PM

someone didnt get their poptart this morning
Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 AM

That is sweet what model is the GPS?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mustanghater
That is sweet what model is the GPS?

Garmin Nuvi 350. It was a hot model back in 2007
Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Way out West

Oh but I do have one, but I dont like the location where it would go on the third gen. You really come off like an ******* by the way you worded your sentence and I dont appreciate ********. If you dont like it, fine but dont need to bash it when it's not even complete.

And just for reference, its not the dash, its the bezel. If I ever wanted to go back to stock, I just simply have to remove approximately 8 screws, so whether I'm ****ing it up or not; its irrelevant because the damage can easily be undone.

It looks good and it doesn't hurt to try. I got a Nuvi 255w for $100, but I am not going to do that because I move it from car to car. Otherwise, I might consider something like that, just because the suction cup/wires are pretty lame.

If you need an extra bezel, I have one from my parts car. I am sure anyone could find them at a junkyard. It's not a piece that usually gets damaged.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
It looks good and it doesn't hurt to try. I got a Nuvi 255w for $100, but I am not going to do that because I move it from car to car. Otherwise, I might consider something like that, just because the suction cup/wires are pretty lame.

If you need an extra bezel, I have one from my parts car. I am sure anyone could find them at a junkyard. It's not a piece that usually gets damaged.
thank you sir, I'll keep that in mind in in case I can't come across any... I used to work at the JY so I have like 2-3 spares of everything for my Maximas
Old 05-16-2010, 08:51 AM
mod or sell?

John, what you should do is fab up a mounting bracket in back so you can swap out the GPS as newer models become available. the screen sizes really aren't changing much.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Well let me rephrase that. I am of the opinion that you would be much more satisfied if you abandoned the project and replaced the modified bezel with a stock replacement and found within yourself the ability to accept a double DIN unit offering the same functionality. I simply feel the appearance of your bezel cannot be redeemed with the use of more equipment. As it is, vandals have acheived similar results with a lighter and can of wd-40.

Okay I guess I can't help but be an *******. Don't take it personally, you solicited opinions on the project and I gave you mine. Everyone else here seems pretty supportive to go for it, its your dash er I mean bezel. And BTW if you were some newbie there would be a lot more negativity in this thread. I mean just look at home boy's truck wheels thread.
It's not so much that your opinion bothers me, its just the way you put it. The way I looked at it was, just think of a car that was in an accident and its sitting in a shop with work being done but not finished.. its too early to say th e car looks like crap because it simply isn't ready to be "judged". This thread was made more as a step by step of the work I've done but that all came to a halt when I stopped driving my 3rd gen due to some strut tower rust which is now repaired. I can now finally resume work in which the finished product should look halfway decent [at least the craftmanship part of the mod] and somewhat factory.

It will not look like it was gone over with a lighter and WD40 once the product is finished.

I can agree on functionality of the GPS/DVD/MP3 headunit... I actually have an AVIC D3 in my 4th gen and although the GPS isn't as nice as the Garmin interface, I love the overall functionality of the unit, however, the 4th gen really has a forgiving layout where the headunit is at a perfect height and position where you can see. In the 3rd gen itself, I feel it would be rather... low and not aimed up towards the driver (I'm 6 ft tall)

I don't know... if you look at the original date of when this thread was started, I was still a noob... I'm STILL a noob I learn something everyday and thats why I consider myself still a noob
Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM

It's not so much that your opinion bothers me, its just the way you put it. The way I looked at it was, just think of a car that was in an accident and its sitting in a shop with work being done but not finished.. its too early to say th e car looks like crap because it simply isn't ready to be "judged". This thread was made more as a step by step of the work I've done but that all came to a halt when I stopped driving my 3rd gen due to some strut tower rust which is now repaired. I can now finally resume work in which the finished product should look halfway decent [at least the craftmanship part of the mod] and somewhat factory.

It will not look like it was gone over with a lighter and WD40 once the product is finished.

I can agree on functionality of the GPS/DVD/MP3 headunit... I actually have an AVIC D3 in my 4th gen and although the GPS isn't as nice as the Garmin interface, I love the overall functionality of the unit, however, the 4th gen really has a forgiving layout where the headunit is at a perfect height and position where you can see. In the 3rd gen itself, I feel it would be rather... low and not aimed up towards the driver (I'm 6 ft tall)

I don't know... if you look at the original date of when this thread was started, I was still a noob... I'm STILL a noob I learn something everyday and thats why I consider myself still a noob
I'm sorry to be so critical and I understand its a work in progress. I wish you well, I actually deleted that post I was hoping you wouldn't read it. Sorry I'm such a douche.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:04 PM

I'm sorry to be so critical and I understand its a work in progress. I wish you well, I actually deleted that post I was hoping you wouldn't read it. Sorry I'm such a douche.
lol don't worry about it dude... I didn't make it a personal attack.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kountz430
thats what im talkin about a classy mod, thats not gawdy.looks almost like it came from the factory like that.keep'em comin
that's what i'm saying....looks excellent..like stock..if you dont mind i might bite...looks great!!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 AM

pretty slick man... first person ive seen with the idea... kinda rough around the edges i'd say pull it back off and get it smooth and thats a job well done
Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

In the 3rd gen itself, I feel it would be rather... low and not aimed up towards the driver (I'm 6 ft tall)

all this, qft. I though the exact thing about the radio/gps unit; way too low in the dash. you have to take your eyes off the road just to see what's coming up. a radio isn't too bad, you can memorize where a button is, and adjust accordingly.

I love/hate being a n00b, too.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice mod
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Just an FYI you can move the heater controls down to where the radio is to be able to get a single din unit up top, doesn't help for GPS but in case you want your radio higher.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 PM

is there a way to hand out tampons in this thread?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 PM

You could try PMing people for their address and just send em a tampon via USPS.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my only question is how do you update the gps unit. do you have to pull it out of dash??
Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by woodybarrie
my only question is how do you update the gps unit. do you have to pull it out of dash??
Yes, to update I'd have to remove the the gauge cluster bezel which is a few screws, regardless...if I didnt have a laptop I would still have to remove it and take it where there's a computer even if prewired a USB cord poking out the back.