3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone put HID's in these headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:45 AM

Anyone put HID's in these headlights

Link

One of my regular bulbs blew just today, they came with the above headlights. Problem is, if I use bulbs other than the ones that came witht the headlights the beam pattern is all messed up. The original bulbs project a donut, which is not bad at all, its a more focused pattern thats alright for driving. But if I throw in an aftermarket bulbs it projects a solid dot which doesn't work at all, its horrible. The difference between the original bulb and a normal aftermarket bulb is the height of the filament, its like a 1.5mm difference that changes the beam pattern.

So has anyone used the above lenses with HID bulbs?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 AM

if you're so inclined, contact izzy, i had given him my extra set of oem headlights. word on the t=street is that he may be buying a parts car to try to fix the POS he has now
Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by eric93SE
Link

One of my regular bulbs blew just today, they came with the above headlights. Problem is, if I use bulbs other than the ones that came witht the headlights the beam pattern is all messed up. The original bulbs project a donut, which is not bad at all, its a more focused pattern thats alright for driving. But if I throw in an aftermarket bulbs it projects a solid dot which doesn't work at all, its horrible. The difference between the original bulb and a normal aftermarket bulb is the height of the filament, its like a 1.5mm difference that changes the beam pattern.

So has anyone used the above lenses with HID bulbs?
those lenses are not for HIDs. The beam pattern is way too helterskelter and you will blind everyone. I guarantee it. Projectors have a very precise cutoff so you can throw a tremendous amount of light out below the cutoff and above it, is totally dark. Look at the wikipedia page on headlights it has pictures.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Thanks Juan, but I don't think I want to go back to factory lenses.

capedcadaver, the pattern is a perfect donut, that is elongated as it projects onto the ground. Its precise compared to the factory lense which is all over the place. I can see that it might project too long though.

Anyone use these lenses with HID's ??
Old 01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Alex_V

Thats pretty much all they are good for. But you'll go through lots of modding to get it all to work properly. It will be worth it however, as our stock lights suck ****.

~Alex

Old 01-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

capedcadaver, the pattern is a perfect donut, that is elongated as it projects onto the ground. Its precise compared to the factory lense which is all over the place. I can see that it might project too long though.

Anyone use these lenses with HID's ??
by 'precise' i was referring to the cutoff line across the pattern... perfect donut is great for highbeams b/c you don't want a cutoff line. not so great for low beams. keep those housings, cut the backs off, and mount some projectors in there. http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...06&postcount=1

the ideal beam pattern for low beams is this http://hanker.tripod.com/hl3-beam-1.jpg

donuts will blind the hell out of people if you aim them for good visibility, and won't let you see much if you aim them for courtesy

my beam pattern isn't the best either, on my stock housings w/ 9007s. kinda like this:

..._____/|_____... ..._____/|_____...

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 01-01-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:15 PM

??

i figured i would give it one last try. i now jasons hid's were bright but not blinding, but they were in stock lenses.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:26 PM

i had HIDs in the stock housings and they were a step above halogens for sure (provided you aim properly to avoid glare) but for the HIDs to truly benefit, definitely go with projectors. Having HIDs in the stock lenses is kind of like running a 3.08 rear on a built motor track car

make sure you have good fog lights though, they're a nice consolation to sucky headlights
Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM

throw projectors in those things. onyx is doing this with his car and he's using infiniti fx projectors.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
throw projectors in those things. onyx is doing this with his car and he's using infiniti fx projectors.
Thats what I was gonna suggest as well, its what I've been wanting to do since I saw these on ebay but never had the money
Old 01-02-2008, 04:38 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

HID's in conventional headlight housings, NO MATTER the current beam pattern, will blind every oncoming vehicle you meet. FMVSS regs on HID's are intended for projector headlamp assemblies only, iirc.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
Thats what I was gonna suggest as well, its what I've been wanting to do since I saw these on ebay but never had the money
if you remember, i've been trying to finish up my retrofit for awhile now.i just need to figure out how to seal them up from the back of the E36 housing and then get the euro headlights for our car and just use the glass lens on the E36 housing with the E60 projectors and E36 7000k CCFL Halo rings.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Eric, i have the "euro" glass headlights with 6000K hid setup.

What i noticed is the light comes out as a str8 beam and extends out a really lengthy way. i see perfectly fine infront of me and on the sides. just its alot of glare but to the sides, i find it weird.

Also to cut down on blinding folks infront of me, i aimed the lights downward to almost having the brightest points (not sure exactly how to describe this so bare with me, thanks) cutoff? at below someone's rear taillights.

Only people who complained to me so far have been rides that have been lowered.

Im also dropped on B&G springs. ...hopes this gives you some kind of an idea what to expect if you decide to get these lights.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by soulsmax
Eric, i have the "euro" glass headlights with 6000K hid setup.

What i noticed is the light comes out as a str8 beam and extends out a really lengthy way. i see perfectly fine infront of me and on the sides. just its alot of glare but to the sides, i find it weird.

Also to cut down on blinding folks infront of me, i aimed the lights downward to almost having the brightest points (not sure exactly how to describe this so bare with me, thanks) cutoff? at below someone's rear taillights.

Only people who complained to me so far have been rides that have been lowered.

Im also dropped on B&G springs. ...hopes this gives you some kind of an idea what to expect if you decide to get these lights.
yeah, that will work, but your visibility will increase with a semicircle w/ a flat top rather than a circle, b/c you have to aim the circle down so far to get the top of the circle under people's line of sight, that the broadest part of the beam is putting the light just in front of your vehicle, instead of off into the distance like projectors do.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
yeah, that will work, but your visibility will increase with a semicircle w/ a flat top rather than a circle, b/c you have to aim the circle down so far to get the top of the circle under people's line of sight, that the broadest part of the beam is putting the light just in front of your vehicle, instead of off into the distance like projectors do.
yeah thats exactly what i noticed, wasnt sure how to describe it.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by soulsmax
yeah thats exactly what i noticed, wasnt sure how to describe it.
how's this?

Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
how's this?

i think thats it ? ...ill have to double check to make sure thats exactly what i see. Thanks for the help. !