3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wiring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by benstoked
I should also add "like wiring harnesses" you have two different ones and it compounds the situation, what, 100x? maybe 1000000^100000x?

mike, was the swap worth it, money-wise? or if you had it to do over again, would you just buy a VE? (i know its been a learning experinece for me, so i know it must have been for you and mebe ghost?)

Oh, don't get me wrong, the thrill of the extra ponies and the torque are awesome. But............with my car being a 90 and the parts car a 92, if I had to do it again, I would probably just put another VG in there. Now if my car was a 92-94 GXE and I wanted to swap in a VE, I would consider that. The swap itself is not that big a deal. Even swapping all the wiring isn't too bad, but the turn signals and the possiblity of not having a cruise control have me second guessing it. I drive like 150 miles a day and this dang VE won't stay off 90mph. Yes, I said 90. Let off just a little bit on the throttle and you are going 50. THAT is why I need my cruise control.

Don't get me wrong, it is really cool pulling up beside peeps and revving the HAI and watching them about break their necks trying to figure out where that mean growl is coming from.

And I can truly say that I have one of the few, if not the only, 90SE around with a VE under the hood.

But in a nutshell, part of me says it wasn't worth it and then there is the other part that says
Old 02-22-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
OK mike a few quick questions to make sure i get your exact setup
  1. what color wires are coming out of your turn signal switch harness?
  2. what color wire goes into D1 on your E-side of the SMJ?
  3. What color wire goes into D1 on the M-side of your SMJ?
  4. What color wires go into A6 and A11 on the E-side of your SMJ?
  5. What color wires go into A6 and A11 on the M-side of your SMJ?

i know you probably think i'm dumb for asking those, but basically i'm trying to see what kind of mis-matches you have, since D1 is used on the later system and not on the earlier system (if it is used for anything on the early system, it's not turnsignal related), and the same for A6 and A11 on the later system. Depending on your answers, you will either be able to use existing SMJ wiring, or you may have to bypass some wires on the SMJ. I have a diagram of what I think your setup looks like, but the fact that the early system uses more SMJ wires than the later system causes me to have to clarify a few things.

Caped, I will address these questions for you tomorrow.....I plan on getting this figured out this weekend. Makes me terribly nervous not having TS in this neck of the woods.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mike90SE
Caped, I will address these questions for you tomorrow.....I plan on getting this figured out this weekend. Makes me terribly nervous not having TS in this neck of the woods.
I got me TS to work today!

Basically what you have to do is remove the 90 combo flasher and replace it with the 92 combo flasher. Actually it is a little more detailed than this, but it was not as bad as I was afraid it was going to be.

As you know, I don't like to take pictures as I am working....I lose my train of thought. LOL But this is a basic idea of what has to happen:
  1. remove the hazard and combo flasher unit from the donor car
  2. snip all wires leading into the combo flasher unit and hazard flasher on the destination car
  3. connect like color wires to like color adding in the donor car parts
  4. the orange/blue wire acts as ground, connect the orange/blue wire from the combo flasher to the orange/blue coming from the TS switch
  5. test and enjoy!

All that is left is the cruise control! Anyone have this figured out yet?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 AM

all we need is the wiring diagrams and we'll get it too
Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 AM

I may be a noob but

I have a 90 se FSM thats in really bad shape if you want me to scan anything I'll do it.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Uberhass
I have a 90 se FSM thats in really bad shape if you want me to scan anything I'll do it.
if you can find the pages wit the cruise control system it'd be a blessing, so we can figure out wat wires we need to swap and stuff
Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Uberhass
from either you or Hectic (91fsm) I'd love to see a 89-91 era foldout scanned.. it'd make me happy...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM

the wire diagrams

hope it helps
Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM

On second thought

This might be more helpful

Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 PM

If you need anything else just ask
Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ghostridden
if you can find the pages wit the cruise control system it'd be a blessing, so we can figure out wat wires we need to swap and stuff

Hey Zack, check out post 63 in this thread.... second picture....
Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mike90SE
Hey Zack, check out post 63 in this thread.... second picture....
oh durrrrr i'm a moron lol
Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 AM

Location: Long Beach, CA is where i live. Queens NYC is always home.
yeah... thats what sux about our cars. Depending on build date and year, there are things that are screwed up w/ the electrical on our cars. I piche up a driver door for my friend form a 94 and she had a 90. After all the mumbo jumbo, I had to order the whole door harness thru my job. I went thr this headache when i was getting panels for my interior.I went to use 90 maxima SE trims inside my 92.I had the part number from my original and the one in the junkyard.Same number, but one was black plastic and my original had that gray fabric on it. My parts guy looks em up and we find that it was per VIN number ... aint that some crap
??? The part numbers can get VIN specific depending on what u r lookin for
Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by GAMERA30
yeah... thats what sux about our cars. Depending on build date and year, there are things that are screwed up w/ the electrical on our cars. I piche up a driver door for my friend form a 94 and she had a 90. After all the mumbo jumbo, I had to order the whole door harness thru my job. I went thr this headache when i was getting panels for my interior.I went to use 90 maxima SE trims inside my 92.I had the part number from my original and the one in the junkyard.Same number, but one was black plastic and my original had that gray fabric on it. My parts guy looks em up and we find that it was per VIN number ... aint that some crap
??? The part numbers can get VIN specific depending on what u r lookin for
you think our cars are screwy?
you obviously don't do much repair work.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you think our cars are screwy?
you obviously don't do much repair work.
haha, see that? Brian still considers himself one of us.

Yeah, as for weirdness, i have a post-92 california engine in my 90 fed-spec car. Or something like that. So if went to buy injectors for a 90 they'd be wrong, I'd be cussing out the guy at the parts counter, and he'd be insisting "these are the right ones for a 90".
Old 04-09-2008, 06:48 PM
mod or sell?

haha, see that? Brian still considers himself one of us.

Yeah, as for weirdness, i have a post-92 california engine in my 90 fed-spec car. Or something like that. So if went to buy injectors for a 90 they'd be wrong, I'd be cussing out the guy at the parts counter, and he'd be insisting "these are the right ones for a 90".
I had to make the choice of buying another VE recently, I didn't do it. the price was right, but the logic of getting rid of the Subie with it's AWD and better MPG for the VE doesn't make good sense to me.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I had to make the choice of buying another VE recently, I didn't do it. the price was right, but the logic of getting rid of the Subie with it's AWD and better MPG for the VE doesn't make good sense to me.
nothing wrong with having 3 cars...
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

nothing wrong with having 3 cars...
Their is in chicago..
Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 PM
mod or sell?

I've already got 3.
and the max would be redundant.
the only thing it could outdo the legacy on would be a drag race in the dry.