3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Disconnecting injector/spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Disconnecting injector/spark plug

I finally found a leak in one of my injectors, hence, I'm guessing the bad gas milage. Or at least it's one of the problems. But I'm not gonna have time to really work on it until weekend. So would it be wise to just disconnect the bad injector and the adjacent spark plug for the time being?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
mod or sell?

not really IMO.
if it's only a couple days I'd leave it alone
Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by Deridex
I finally found a leak in one of my injectors, hence, I'm guessing the bad gas milage. Or at least it's one of the problems. But I'm not gonna have time to really work on it until weekend. So would it be wise to just disconnect the bad injector and the adjacent spark plug for the time being?
Disconnecting the leaky injector plug (how did you manage to "find" that leak?) will do nothing about stopping/reducing the volume of fuel due to the leak (leaking past the O-ring? or pintle leak?), so preventing ignition in that cylinder by spark-plug disconnection is going to dump raw fuel into the cylinder continuously, and if its not at least partially burnt on the compression stroke that fuel washes off the oil on the cylinder walls and goes down into the oil - so leave it alone till you can fix it properly like Brian suggested
Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by LvR
Disconnecting the leaky injector plug (how did you manage to "find" that leak?) will do nothing about stopping/reducing the volume of fuel due to the leak (leaking past the O-ring? or pintle leak?), so preventing ignition in that cylinder by spark-plug disconnection is going to dump raw fuel into the cylinder continuously, and if its not at least partially burnt on the compression stroke that fuel washes off the oil on the cylinder walls and goes down into the oil - so leave it alone till you can fix it properly like Brian suggested
I found the leak because there's a huge wet spot smelling like gas around one injector, while the rest of the rail is dry. But wouldn't disconnecting the injector prevent gas from getting into the cylinder?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:58 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by Deridex
I found the leak because there's a huge wet spot smelling like gas around one injector, while the rest of the rail is dry. But wouldn't disconnecting the injector prevent gas from getting into the cylinder?
So the top seal is leaking (or the injector body molding itself)?

Then sure leaked fuel will not (should not be able to) go down into the cylinder, but disconnecting the spark-plug lead creates a possible source of spark (lead sparking to the engine) in a fuel rich environment on top of the motor so its still not a good idea unless you plan on having a roadside BBQ
Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
So the top seal is leaking (or the injector body molding itself)?

Then sure leaked fuel will not (should not be able to) go down into the cylinder, but disconnecting the spark-plug lead creates a possible source of spark (lead sparking to the engine) in a fuel rich environment on top of the motor so its still not a good idea unless you plan on having a roadside BBQ
Alright, thanks for the heads up. The last thing I wanna do is make it even worse by trying to fix it. I hate when that happens.