3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Intake plenum gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Intake plenum gasket

I got a couple of intake plenum gaskets off of eBay for cheap, but now that I got em, they look like they're made out of paper or something. Is that what plenum gaskets made out of these days?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Deridex
I got a couple of intake plenum gaskets off of eBay for cheap, but now that I got em, they look like they're made out of paper or something. Is that what plenum gaskets made out of these days?
Yep...kinda like thick paper.

Last edited by Greeny; 02-23-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 AM

...might be e-bay fakes,does the box say "nisson" or nissan
heh,hah no ,but seriously you guys are you doing the performance intake spacers at the same time?

Last edited by maximagician; 02-23-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 AM

How cheap did you get them - they are $14 for both upper and lower from Courtesy Nissan.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 AM

Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 AM

The shape is right. It's the material I'm wondering about.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2008, 03:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Look fine to me..
Old 02-23-2008, 03:54 PM

Looks ok to me too....I went to AZ when I replaced the intake gaskets on the VG a couple of years ago and got Felpro....these look similar....somewhat.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:46 PM

It's not the exact matieral of the actual Nissan gasket. I get my parts wholesale and I just grabbed a plenum gasket. I'll take a pic when I get home but they should work regardless.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:54 PM

those are stock gaskets,i put some on about a month ago,mine looked like that and came from nissan..
Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 PM

Yeah, looks fine now, but as if you look inside the plenum, it's all wet and oily in there. And from what I understand, paper gets wet real easy and wet paper is bad news. So just a thought.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

to return a thought to you, when paper that thick gets wet, it expands. since the two pieces will be bolted down, it will only make the seal tighter. and i dont think it will fall apart just because of some oil...

wait, maybe this is just ignorance on my part, but why is it "wet and oily" in there to begin with?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 PM

the gasket i got from idiotzone was'nt any better.
they had paper then around the holes they added a lil' bit of gasket maker which sucked becuase it was leaking....till i made my "version".
Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mattdouken
those are stock gaskets,i put some on about a month ago,mine looked like that and came from nissan..
OH NO YOU DIDNT JUST CALL ME A LIAR! <snaps his finger 3 times in a zig zag>

Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 PM

How much did you get those for?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Donating member? what the?!

How much did you get those for?
Not that I'm Tampa, but off of CourtesyParts Beta site the upper gasket is $7 (SOHC), and the lower is $9(SOHC). The cheaper gasket you might see if for the DOHC engines

When I put my phenolic spacers in, I just used RTV for everything. I don't have any noticeable vacummings as I've tested with Intake cleaner around all the seals. Does anyone know if that's not a good idea?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by super32
Not that I'm Tampa, but off of CourtesyParts Beta site the upper gasket is $7 (SOHC), and the lower is $9(SOHC). The cheaper gasket you might see if for the DOHC engines

When I put my phenolic spacers in, I just used RTV for everything. I don't have any noticeable vacummings as I've tested with Intake cleaner around all the seals. Does anyone know if that's not a good idea?
aaron himself used nothing but black rtv when he installed the prototype phenolic spacers on my car. if the designer of the parts himself used RTV, then i'd trust his method.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Hold on a sec. What are phenolic spacers?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Donating member? what the?!

Hold on a sec. What are phenolic spacers?
Oh man, are YOU missing out! Man, spacers will boost up the power in your engine so much... dang. Sorry you missed out on the deal.

Spacers Thread

JK. I think Aaron still mfg'ing them.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by super32
Oh man, are YOU missing out! Man, spacers will boost up the power in your engine so much... dang. Sorry you missed out on the deal.

Spacers Thread

JK. I think Aaron still mfg'ing them.
Interesting. First time I seen it though. Definitly worth checking out. Thanks man.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:26 PM

$8
Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
aaron himself used nothing but black rtv when he installed the prototype phenolic spacers on my car. if the designer of the parts himself used RTV, then i'd trust his method.
Just because it works in a pinch doesn't mean it is the BEST solution. When you run a bead of RTV around the mating surfaces of those intake manifold parts (regardless of whether you are installing phenolic spacers),
clamp them together and torque the bolts to spec, you're gonna get RTV
squeezing out into the inner passages. I can't think of anything better to disrupt airflow. Stick with the original Nissan gaskets that have the built in rubberized surrounds. Cleaner, better, faster. IMHO...
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Mack531
Just because it works in a pinch doesn't mean it is the BEST solution. When you run a bead of RTV around the mating surfaces of those intake manifold parts (regardless of whether you are installing phenolic spacers),
clamp them together and torque the bolts to spec, you're gonna get RTV
squeezing out into the inner passages. I can't think of anything better to disrupt airflow. Stick with the original Nissan gaskets that have the built in rubberized surrounds. Cleaner, better, faster. IMHO...
well what he did was he smoothed it out, then used his finger to wipe the rtv away from the intake passages on the mating surface so when it squished, it wouldn't squish into the airflow.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 PM

well what he did was he smoothed it out, then used his finger to wipe the rtv away from the intake passages on the mating surface so when it squished, it wouldn't squish into the airflow.
Yes, (great fallback position) but-- I don't think that's possible when bolting down the "V" shaped upper plenum to the baseplate that attaches to the lower intake manefold. Granted, it's a "flat floor" arangement, but wiping away the excess isn't do-able. Therein lies my concern. Ahem...
Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Yes, (great fallback position) but-- I don't think that's possible when bolting down the "V" shaped upper plenum to the baseplate that attaches to the lower intake manefold. Granted, it's a "flat floor" arangement, but wiping away the excess isn't do-able. Therein lies my concern. Ahem...
Which engine are we talking about? Only place we used black RTV was between the dualduct and TB, and TB and UIM, and IACV and UIM on my VG... the VG kit didn't include a UIM spacer, due to the fact that it would have ended up making the kit less cost effective due to its complexity
Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Which engine are we talking about? Only place we used black RTV was between the dualduct and TB, and TB and UIM, and IACV and UIM on my VG... the VG kit didn't include a UIM spacer, due to the fact that it would have ended up making the kit less cost effective due to its complexity
Yeah? Look again! There's the lower intake manifold that bolts directly to the two cylinder heads mounted on the block, then, BETWEEN THE LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD AND THE UPPER INTAKE PLENUM is a plate about 18 inches long with six eliptical holes-- one for each cylinder. It bolts down to the lower intake manifold with its own set of allen bolts, then the upper intake plenum bolts to it with ANOTHER SET of allen bolts. This last assembly once mated, does not allow any way in which to stick a finger into the passages created and smooth out any RTV squeezed into the
passages. No?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

LOL who you be sMACKin?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 PM

the paper-felt ones are fine, i applied a very small amount to the gasket. Any that squished and cured inside the plenum would create a microscopic change if any to the airflow.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

those jis guys are pretty good i got on a pair of head gaskets from them actually i got the whole kit with like 8 billion seals and stuff for like 60 dlls .
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yeah? Look again! There's the lower intake manifold that bolts directly to the two cylinder heads mounted on the block, then, BETWEEN THE LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD AND THE UPPER INTAKE PLENUM is a plate about 18 inches long with six eliptical holes-- one for each cylinder. It bolts down to the lower intake manifold with its own set of allen bolts, then the upper intake plenum bolts to it with ANOTHER SET of allen bolts. This last assembly once mated, does not allow any way in which to stick a finger into the passages created and smooth out any RTV squeezed into the
passages. No?
Please Read his post again, you are making no sense at this point in this convo.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by traxtar944
LOL who you be sMACKin?

Hi, Matt! LOL-- I thought it was funny that he wanted to know if a set of VG gaskets were okay, and then thought it was an even better idea to throw in some RTV. (Where you can't wipe it away). Then didn't think there was an intermediate plate between the LIM and the UIP. THE HAVE TO GO TOGETHER SOMEHOW! Truth be told, I was jus' lookin' for an excuse to use that "slapper" emoticon! LOL
Say, My "package" ever show up?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Hi, Matt! LOL-- I thought it was funny that he wanted to know if a set of VG gaskets were okay, and then thought it was an even better idea to throw in some RTV. (Where you can't wipe it away). Then didn't think there was an intermediate plate between the LIM and the UIP. THE HAVE TO GO TOGETHER SOMEHOW! Truth be told, I was jus' lookin' for an excuse to use that "slapper" emoticon! LOL
Say, My "package" ever show up?
well it's nice that you got to use it, but next time, actually have something to slap about. i never said anything about using RTV in those areas. At least since I've owned my car since 2006, the UIM has never been off... I said we had a spacer between the IACV and the UIM, which is 4 hexhead bolts and a rectangular gasket with slight indentions for the bolt holes... and yes we did use the finger method on that one. And yes I do know what the rest of the intake looks like, from other ORGers pictures... but I haven't ever had mine off, and therefore, never used RTV on it...

In fact the ONLY time anyone on here mentioned RTV was for phenolic spacer installation, rather than using gaskets in addition to the spacers. So next time before you .

That is all.