3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

1990 VG30 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:18 PM

1990 VG30 Headers

I'm still assembling my VG30 and I've had the block bored and installed the entire balanced recip assy with new .5mm overbore pistons and ARP rod bolts, with home ported 3 angled valve job heads, match ported the entire intake tract and I'm looking at installing the entire Pacesetter exhaust system (ceramic coated header assy and 2.25" catback), I'm running the Isky torque cam, along with a JWT pop filter and JWT reflashed ecu. Has anyone ever ran this same setup! I've read a few threads (years) back that were dissatisfied with the performance gains or lack of...with pacesetter headers installed! What I'm trying to accomplish is a complete massage of the engine breathing and trying to increase it's velocity on the intake and exhaust tract. I have other mods in the fuel system such as the fuel pump, internal fuel rail debur, match flowed injectors, APR and an O2 bung for my wideband A/F ratio meter so I can tune it's open loop (wot) condition! I just can't believe the headers couldn't improve upon the whp more, when compared to that POS OEM exhaust manifold! So I'll find out in a few months....

Last edited by CMax03; 04-25-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
... APR and an O2 bung for my wideband A/F ratio meter ....
I am lost. Can u pls hlp me on board...?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

FWIW the stock manifolds are not THAT bad that's why the gains are not really that significant with headers.

have you consider porting out the stock manifolds? i've heard fitment issues with paceheader headers.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:56 AM

Depending on your compression ratio, a custom set of headers will make more power. I didn't know that pacesetter still makes the VG headers. IMHO you would probably be better off modifying a set of VQ headers, unless you can design a set for yourself. VQ headers won't bolt up but with a new flange/fabrication made for the VG it "could" work. Otherwise I believe summit racing sells a DIY header kit but you'll still need a set of flanges for the VG heads and a collector.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:29 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by DanNY
FWIW the stock manifolds are not THAT bad that's why the gains are not really that significant with headers.

Even the vg headers are a pretty nice design, but the ve>

have you consider porting out the stock manifolds? i've heard fitment issues with paceheader headers.

Never heard of these headers, got a link?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Vg30 headers

Originally Posted by Wiking
I am lost. Can u pls hlp me on board...?
Sorry that means adjustable fuel pressure regulator or maybe I should have used FPR! The wideband air/fuel ratio meter is my toy for adjusting the air/ful ratio at wide open throttle (Open Loop). The computer only controls your air/fuel ratio in closed loop via the O2 sensors!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:08 PM

Pacesetter Headers

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
Depending on your compression ratio, a custom set of headers will make more power. I didn't know that pacesetter still makes the VG headers. IMHO you would probably be better off modifying a set of VQ headers, unless you can design a set for yourself. VQ headers won't bolt up but with a new flange/fabrication made for the VG it "could" work. Otherwise I believe summit racing sells a DIY header kit but you'll still need a set of flanges for the VG heads and a collector.
Yes, they're still available! Thru Summit, Jeg's, AJ-Usa, JcWhitney,etc.... And they come with a Satisfaction Guarantee ( as long as they haven't been damaged or modified)! I can deal with any of the fitment problems...I personally think it was the lack of experience on behalf of the person/s installing it! I will be safety wiring all of the hardware at ball and socket(swingvalve) style connections! The hardware has to be locked or safety or it will loosen due to the exhaust harmonics, which in turn spells exhaust leak! I wish they would have used rigidly fixed 3 bolt hole circle type fitting with HD copper gaskets. But many auto makers still use that design on thier factory exhaust system. I believe inconjuction with a torquey cam, reprogramed ECU, and a clean flowing intake system, it should be a totally different beast! Have you ever looked inside your intake? There's so many exposed edges, casting lumps, misaligned trumpet ports, etc! I thought I was looking at an old american V-8!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:29 PM

VG Headers

Are we speaking on the same subject? There's no why that cast iron, stamped steel, log style, hybrid exhaust manifold can out flow a tuned or untuned equal lenght exhaust headers! WHAT are you gonna port out! only the mating surfaces or the flanges are made out of cast iron the rest is thin gaged steel stamped tubes welded all together to save room! I'm looking at my Exhaust manifold in my hand as of now! I did all that porting at the flanges already! Logged stlye exhaust are power robbers! Safety wire will cure the exhaust leak and fitment problems! Those spring loaded joints need the hardware to be safetied to remain secured! Exhaust harmonics will loosen almost anything!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
... I thought I was looking at an old american V-8!
True. Like Jalalabad mountain range... seems like intentional marketing to keep VGE tuned below VE.