3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Radius Rod Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Radius Rod Bushings

i need help to get my radius rod bushing inn

i got it in half way in and i couldn't get the rest in

any techniques and tools would be very helpful
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by coolsun
i need help to get my radius rod bushing inn

i got it in half way in and i couldn't get the rest in

any techniques and tools would be very helpful
i was just thinking about radius rod bushings earlier today

um. try putting it bushing-side-down and putting some wood on the arm-side and whacking away
Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
i was just thinking about radius rod bushings earlier today

um. try putting it bushing-side-down and putting some wood on the arm-side and whacking away
i tried that too and i used a table press too
Old 04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by coolsun
i tried that too and i used a table press too
o. and that didn't move it at all?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:12 PM

nope only half way imma go to the mechanic tommorrow and ask them if they can do any thing
Old 04-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

they would use a 20ton hydraulic shop press and some flat metal plates to sandwich the bushing between the press and the rod. Apply pressure to the metal plate and it will evenly disperse it across the entire face of the bushing and press it in perfectly.

If you don't have a press, you can use the weight of the car. Just jack it up, place the part you want to press under the rear wheel while the parking break is on, and use your hydraulic jack to gently lower the car onto the part. Presto, you now have a makeshift 2 ton press. This also works better with a metal plate to disperse the weight. It's not the BEST method, but I've done it in a crunch multiple times and it works pretty well for small stuff like rubber bushings. I wouldn't go trying that method for a wheel bushing, but it would work fine for this application.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by traxtar944
they would use a 20ton hydraulic shop press and some flat metal plates to sandwich the bushing between the press and the rod. Apply pressure to the metal plate and it will evenly disperse it across the entire face of the bushing and press it in perfectly.

If you don't have a press, you can use the weight of the car. Just jack it up, place the part you want to press under the rear wheel while the parking break is on, and use your hydraulic jack to gently lower the car onto the part. Presto, you now have a makeshift 2 ton press. This also works better with a metal plate to disperse the weight. It's not the BEST method, but I've done it in a crunch multiple times and it works pretty well for small stuff like rubber bushings. I wouldn't go trying that method for a wheel bushing, but it would work fine for this application.
dude that's a f**king GENIUS idea! i'm definitely adding this to my repetoire.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:50 PM

... you can use the weight of the car. ...you now have a makeshift 2 ton press.....
My guess is nearer to 1/4 ton press ... depends how loaded your rig is. But if it works, figures dont matter.

Most hydraulic jacks can do that 2 tons, find 'any' gap to heave em in...
Old 04-26-2008, 11:15 PM

Universal 2-ton press

That's really slicK!!! And; I was in a hurry to buy a 20 ton press...you definitely know how to improvise!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 AM

Very resourceful and a great idea, Im gonna have to use that
Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 AM

umm one thing the wheels are off and they are the rear ones
i cant jack up both ends and if i put the wheels back on then everything is going to miss align and there would be no weight distribution to the car it would all just bend my suspension right?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

read wiking's post, he offered another solution. If you still want to try the weight-of-the-car method, see if you have access to another car. Alternatively, if you have access to a high clearance SUV, you can use both method in tandem, using the SUV as the weight, and then use the jack as a press, just shove the bushing in between the jack's jacking point and a flat surface under the SUV, usually the frame or some other solid point and jack away.....(get your head out of the gutter).
Old 04-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

true, you can just put the part between the jack and the frame of the car, but that's risky and the part could shoot out like a projectile. A car/SUV being jacked up is usually pretty unstable. It's better to lower the car/sUV onto the part because you can stop the motion with a turn of the valve.