3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Reverse rpm limiter - is there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:42 AM

Reverse rpm limiter - is there?

Has anyone built a safety feature limiting rpm's when R is engaged? Suggestions? I do have few ideas in mind, but what is the most elegant...

- NY News last year: 11ppl killed as man in his 80's slips foot from Chevy brk pedal in R onto accel pedal, vehicle jumps over a group of ppl...
- News from seventies, Audi stops altogether selling pwrful Audi 200: blondies crash through garage doors on street while R....

The dilemma: when theres lots of pwr, put on R, small push with careless toe will cause inertia to push the leg more (fast repeat 10x) -and- car starts to rocket at full speed backwards. Unawares will freeze from fear, cant stop this dive on time.

Now. My fully loaded heavier than stock N/A family car start to go 6s. from 0-60mph (non accidentally) . On Volvo scale T6, this means 280hp... dunno wassup, but no more sleepin horses in my barn.
oops R --->mama will accidentally kill smbdy if this R-problem is not solved...

Give out u input pls.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Wiking
Has anyone built a safety feature limiting rpm's when R is engaged? Suggestions? I do have few ideas in mind, but what is the most elegant...

- NY News last year: 11ppl killed as man in his 80's slips foot from Chevy brk pedal in R onto accel pedal, vehicle jumps over a group of ppl...
- News from seventies, Audi stops altogether selling pwrful Audi 200: blondies crash through garage doors on street while R....

The dilemma: when theres lots of pwr, put on R, small push with careless toe will cause inertia to push the leg more (fast repeat 10x) -and- car starts to rocket at full speed backwards. Unawares will freeze from fear, cant stop this dive on time.

Now. My fully loaded heavier than stock N/A family car start to go 6s. from 0-60mph (non accidentally) . On Volvo scale T6, this means 280hp... dunno wassup, but no more sleepin horses in my barn.
oops R --->mama will accidentally kill smbdy if this R-problem is not solved...

Give out u input pls.
disable MAF while in reverse? limits RPM to 2000? ntrly the most elegant tho, because of how it stumbles. everything that i can think of other than that involves a lot of 'subjective' electronics, that would have to fool the ECU into thinking lies were true.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
disable MAF while in reverse? limits RPM to 2000? ntrly the most elegant tho, because of how it stumbles. everything that i can think of other than that involves a lot of 'subjective' electronics, that would have to fool the ECU into thinking lies were true.
Or tranny or engine rpm sensor - relay cutoff via R? Except Tranny wont go out of Safe Mode w/o ign pwr cutoff...

Well, Mandatory Mama 2x4" under pedal... not practical.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Or tranny or engine rpm sensor - relay cutoff via R? Except Tranny wont go out of Safe Mode w/o ign pwr cutoff...

Well, Mandatory Mama 2x4" under pedal... not practical.
no need to send tranny into safe mode... why would you have to? which of your ideas involved putting it into safe mode?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 AM

no need to send tranny into safe mode... why would you have to? which of your ideas involved putting it into safe mode?
Just letting out all whatsin there... first thought was MAF cutoff. My brains say its not the moist elegant way, could work though w/o problims...

Rpm sensor.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

rpms switch (bakers electronics is the shiz) that cut's power to the injectors only in reverse. Would be effective, shouldn't give codes, but would involve some intense brainstorming for the wiring diagram.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Just letting out all whatsin there... first thought was MAF cutoff. My brains say its not the moist elegant way, could work though w/o problims...

Rpm sensor.
one way to do it is to have that rpm switch, to activate an SPDT relay, to switch the ECU's rpm input from the car's RPM sensor to another power source, which would have a resistor drop the voltage to emulate whatever RPM you want to limit it to (whether 2000 or w/e), and the ECU would say "o ok, we're going 2000rpm at WOT, let's use this much gas."

but i was thinking that might be more effective for the MAF instead, to limit the fuel output to a falsified MAF signal, same thing, using a fixed resistor to switch in once you hit your desired RPM. since the MAF says how much air is coming in, that means you can only use x amount of fuel for that MAF level b/c y amount of air can only burn x amount of fuel... so maybe that would work better than faking the RPM signal

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 05-31-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 AM

one way to do it is to have that rpm switch, to activate an SPDT relay, to switch the ECU's rpm input from the car's RPM sensor to another power source, which would have a resistor drop the voltage to emulate whatever RPM you want to limit it to (whether 2000 or w/e), and the ECU would say "o ok, we're going 2000rpm at WOT, let's use this much gas."

but i was thinking that might be more effective for the MAF instead, to limit the fuel output to a falsified MAF signal, same thing, using a fixed resistor to switch in once you hit your desired RPM. since the MAF says how much air is coming in, that means you can only use x amount of fuel for that MAF level b/c y amount of air can only burn x amount of fuel... so maybe that would work better than faking the RPM signal
Transistor regulated relay could work as its also a voltage signal (freq changes with rpm).

This is the warped signal when distr grounding fails = IT DOES. IF. Grounding has not been thoroughly cleaned. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/10

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/9
Old 05-31-2008, 11:57 AM

...MAF signal, same thing, using a fixed resistor to switch in once you hit your desired RPM. ...
I am just working on a MAF signal 'pump', gettin adjustable signal boost to fit the incoming air. I might use t hat... but how [tingling unter der tin hat]

It has to work seamlessly w/o hesitation.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I am just working on a MAF signal 'pump', gettin adjustable signal boost to fit the incoming air. I might use t hat... but how [tingling unter der tin hat]

It has to work seamlessly w/o hesitation.
the hard part about it is that it'll have one signal for level ground, but the MAF signal will be higher to maintain 2000rpm backing uphill, and less when backing downhill.. so maybe MAF is not the best idea after all. argh. how to make the rpm stay at the limit... retard timing perhaps?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:31 PM

the hard part about it is that it'll have one signal for level ground, but the MAF signal will be higher to maintain 2000rpm backing uphill, and less when backing downhill.. so maybe MAF is not the best idea after all. argh. how to make the rpm stay at the limit... retard timing perhaps?
Affecting MAF, injector pulses or timing etc would degrade engine pwr and cause problems u depict ... what I want is pure rpm limiter on R.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Affecting MAF, injector pulses or timing etc would degrade engine pwr and cause problems u depict ... what I want is pure rpm limiter on R.
well an RPM limiter is going to have to tie-in to these other systems of the car and manipulate them anyways. as far as i can see the MAF, although it might act a little choppy, is the best way to do it... what if the MAF only gets disabled with RPM is over 1900rpm.. that way it's got a 100rpm buffer for the MAF to impose its limit of 2000rpm, and make it 2100-2200 on a VE for the 2300rpm MAF-unplugged limit. That sounds like a winner.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:07 PM
mod or sell?

I'd put in an ignition RPM limit switch that is activated by the PRNDL switch when it's in R
Old 05-31-2008, 09:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I'd put in an ignition RPM limit switch that is activated by the PRNDL switch when it's in R
how violently will that behave if the limit is reached?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 PM

Seems So Easy: where is that "RPM limit switch"
Old 06-01-2008, 06:12 AM
mod or sell?

Seems So Easy: where is that "RPM limit switch"
available form manufacturers like MSD, Crane, Mallory.
it's commonly used in racing.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:13 AM
mod or sell?

how violently will that behave if the limit is reached?
same as your current RPM limiter probably.
it basically misfires the engine to keep the RPM down
Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I can has?

You guys get bored easy...
Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 AM

... used in racing.
Sound$ like $$$.$$ ?

So. I have to add one Rlimiter more in my quest: budget... has to be DIY and 'under 10$'. Means some components from el shop and existing features soldered.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
mod or sell?

Sound$ like $$$.$$ ?

So. I have to add one Rlimiter more in my quest: budget... has to be DIY and 'under 10$'. Means some components from el shop and existing features soldered.
http://forum.teamfc3s.org/attachment...7&d=1066659821 ?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 AM

Hey thks, this fits the bill!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

Haha reverse limited to 2000rpm? Geez....I exceed that daily in the school parking lot. Gotta' show those Honda fools that the Maxima means business.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by 3g94MaxGXE
Haha reverse limited to 2000rpm? Geez....I exceed that daily in the school parking lot. Gotta' show those Honda fools that the Maxima means business.
Its sad how many start to think in jail after killin smbdy via stupidity. Racin is fun but its only done by murderers - on suburb streets, in parkin lots full of kids
Old 06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

Not full of kids actually, my class always gets out earlier than the others because of how bad the rednecks drive their trucks in the parking lot and I always look straight behind myself over my right shoulder. I'm not talking racing I just throw it into reverse, turn around and put the pedal down till it hits about 2500rpm not that I can really see exactly where it is at since I'm looking behind me but I know the engine well enough that I can just tell based on the sound.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Not full of kids actually, my class always gets out earlier than the others because of how bad the rednecks drive their trucks in the parking lot and I always look straight behind myself over my right shoulder. I'm not talking racing I just throw it into reverse, turn around and put the pedal down till it hits about 2500rpm not that I can really see exactly where it is at since I'm looking behind me but I know the engine well enough that I can just tell based on the sound.
still, 2000 is a pretty safe limit in must circumstances.... I don't know if anyone can scientifically prove if it's safer to be able to floor reverse to redline for avoidance purposes, or to limit reverse speeds for idiot-proofing.... i guess the jury is still out on that. but seeing as how lots of drivers have enough trouble manging a car going steady and straight... there are bound do be a bunch more drivers who are wholly incapable of controlling a car in reverse at WOT..

now i do know someone who is "better at backing it up than going the regular way" but a) she's got a big booty and b) she's still getting used to her first-ever manual tranny car.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

I agree, I wouldn't recommend a 15 or 16 year old to just hit the pedal since someone who doesn't know what they are doing could easily spin out (or plain out learn how to do a donut on accident). I've slowly learned what I can handle with my maxima and I wouldn't attempt to drive a new car the same way. I doubt even I could floor it to the redline without losing control of it and likely the only time I'll ever perform such a maneuver will be when I'm trying to lose the cops in a need for speed game.

I don't like the idea of such a feature being installed on my car and the people that would need something of this nature don't need to be driving since they lack common sense so I don't see what the point of such a device is. You'd think people driving crazy in reverse would be more likely to hit a non-moving object which is less likely to be occupied than that car that is in front of them when they run a redlight. I'd rather see unsafe drivers taken off the road than companies investing in restricting things like reverse RPM.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I agree, I wouldn't recommend a 15 or 16 year old to just hit the pedal since someone who doesn't know what they are doing could easily spin out (or plain out learn how to do a donut on accident). I've slowly learned what I can handle with my maxima and I wouldn't attempt to drive a new car the same way. I doubt even I could floor it to the redline without losing control of it and likely the only time I'll ever perform such a maneuver will be when I'm trying to lose the cops in a need for speed game.

I don't like the idea of such a feature being installed on my car and the people that would need something of this nature don't need to be driving since they lack common sense so I don't see what the point of such a device is. You'd think people driving crazy in reverse would be more likely to hit a non-moving object which is less likely to be occupied than that car that is in front of them when they run a redlight. I'd rather see unsafe drivers taken off the road than companies investing in restricting things like reverse RPM.
well the issue with reverse is that if your car goes backward hard, it actually pushes your foot into the pedal more.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Banned

Can't say I know the feeling, I never have experienced any problems - I usually plant the heel of my foot on the floor of the car and it stays where I want it. I've had a problem on my mom's Xterra though, when you hit a bump on that thing your foot really doesn't want to stay in one place.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Can't say I know the feeling, I never have experienced any problems - I usually plant the heel of my foot on the floor of the car and it stays where I want it. I've had a problem on my mom's Xterra though, when you hit a bump on that thing your foot really doesn't want to stay in one place.
well, i guess it depends on the car. when i had the totally-mutilated motor mount in my car, the whole car would buck so violently that i had to lift completely and start over to keep the recoil from pulsing my foot again and making it worse.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

Sounds like fun hahaha
Old 06-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I dont even touch the accel to reverse. there is more than enough power for an "idle" engine, combined with the gearing for reverse to back up with sufficient quickness that only an idiot would take it above 2k. unless you have the worlds ****tiest engine?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Sounds like fun hahaha
it wasn't at all.. it was so gaping that the shifter moved side-to-side on/off throttle.... like a full gate side-to-side. almost impossible to drive, almost impossible to pick gears. reverse wasn't as harsh though... engine just pushed down and stayed there.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

Having to and wanting to are two very different things. I don't have to use the gas anywhere that is paved (I park in the yard though and that does require a little over 1000).
Old 06-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
I dont even touch the accel to reverse. there is more than enough power for an "idle" engine, combined with the gearing for reverse to back up with sufficient quickness that only an idiot would take it above 2k. unless you have the worlds ****tiest engine?
true, generally i only use the gas when reversing if i'm waaaay out in the open and know there's nothing to hit, or if i parked downhill. and that includes the launch into reverse... still don't really need gas for that.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:52 PM

if u need a limiter should you be driving?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
if u need a limiter should you be driving?
Should ppl be writing w/o reading?

This thread is not speaking about stock sissy stock VG, but pwr car used by multiple drivers. Idle is enough...

benstoked I dont even touch the accel to reverse.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 PM

Why would anyone want a reverse rev limiter? My Taurus wagon was limited to 2200RPM in reverse and I hated it (built into the ECU programing though). Really ruined reverse J-turns and fun in the snow....
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Why would anyone want a reverse rev limiter? My Taurus wagon was limited to 2200RPM in reverse and I hated it (built into the ECU programing though). Really ruined reverse J-turns and fun in the snow....
I am impressed by ppl with only capacity to write, no read. This is why in italy all police officers work in pairs...

Why o Why: havent u heard of a bypass sw? Dummies cant read nor use it, safety feature ON.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Should ppl be writing w/o reading?

This thread is not speaking about stock sissy stock VG, but pwr car used by multiple drivers. Idle is enough...

I read it so don't be rude and insulting or go find a Scandanavian Maxima forum where everyone can read to your satisfaction.

You said that "mama will kill someone if this isn't solved"

should she be in a car that has to have a limiter to keep her from loosing control and killing or injuring someone? maybe she should find another method of transportation where she can't hurt anyone (walking, riding a bike)

Last edited by gapboi210; 06-10-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:58 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by modenaf1
no wonder you drive a taurus and a 4th gen.