3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bose swap and Auto climate control swap question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:16 AM

Bose swap and Auto climate control swap question

Is it possible and how difficult is it to swap in a stock Auto climate control and Bose system into a 3rd gen that didnt come with either? I recently totalled my fully loaded 89 Brougham/GXE and I'm having a tough time finding a good replacement 3rd gen, so I'll have to swap. I have everything needed for swaps from my 89. Also, check out the classifieds for parts, I'm parting this out... Thanks

PS all four amps were recently rebuilt in the last couple of years and the headunit is from a 99 max.

Last edited by Dayle97SE; 06-25-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:21 AM

I would not reccommend swapping the Bose system unless it has been rebuilt recently because they fail quite commonly. As far as the auto climate control, here is all you need to know. http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/index.html

It is the first item on the list under "How to"
Old 06-25-2008, 03:28 PM

+1 on no Bose. I have a Bose system in mine and it rocks err....rocked. The driver door speaker worked sometimes. I bought 4-5 other speakers from JY, ebay, this forum and none of them worked. now the whole system seems to be lacking any bass. Im headed for aftermarket. There is a write up on this site http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace very labor intensive. I drove a max with the auto climate control and i just liked my manual one better. sorry if i burst ur buble
Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Dayle97SE
Is it possible and how difficult is it to swap in a stock Auto climate control and Bose system into a 3rd gen that didnt come with either? I recently totalled my fully loaded 89 Brougham/GXE and I'm having a tough time finding a good replacement 3rd gen, so I'll have to swap. I have everything needed for swaps from my 89. Also, check out the classifieds for parts, I'm parting this out... Thanks

PS all four amps were recently rebuilt in the last couple of years and the headunit is from a 99 max.
so you are planning on getting another 3rd gen?
if so I'd just look for one that already has ACC, and don't worry about the blose. It's not a well designed system in Nissan's version. I'd just swap in a nice aftermarket setup and be done with it.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
so you are planning on getting another 3rd gen?
if so I'd just look for one that already has ACC, and don't worry about the blose. It's not a well designed system in Nissan's version. I'd just swap in a nice aftermarket setup and be done with it.
well, I can't speak for a 3rd gen, but my sister's 99 se had bose, and had more than enough thump for my tastes highs and mids were clear, crisp, it all sounded pretty damn good. If I could have nabbed the speakers/hu outa there, I would have after it got totaled(along with some other "goodies"...)
Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by benstoked
well, I can't speak for a 3rd gen, but my sister's 99 se had bose, and had more than enough thump for my tastes highs and mids were clear, crisp, it all sounded pretty damn good. If I could have nabbed the speakers/hu outa there, I would have after it got totaled(along with some other "goodies"...)
it's not that it sounds bad when it's all functioning well, it's that it doesn't stay functioning well in the long run.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 PM

i had quite a few cars that had bose.
89 accord se-i, acura legend, and my old se
all of em hit pretty good.
well my se hit the hardest.
internet was right though, i pulled in a 01 i30 and work and the bose bass sucked!

i was thinkin about doping it myself. the speakers in my car are 1 ohm and can hadle what evr hits them.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:06 AM

OK, enough with the bose/blose stories.......is it possible or not?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 AM
mod or sell?

yes it is possible.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 AM

It isn't that it sucks, it is just expensive to repair and weird to upgrade. Each speaker has its own amp instead of power from the headunit. It makes it terrible to upgrade to a new powered head-unit(basically every one made today). It was just a warning that it goes out eventually, mine was dead and from my grandmother no less. She only listened to classical music at the lowest volume, so just didn't want you to do the work and be surprised it stopped working. And last it is expensive as anything to repair. I paid $400 and it has made 3 trips back on warranty to what I thought was a reputable place. Good Luck with whatever you choose and I hope your system lasts.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I can has?

Just find another third gen with Bose/Manual Climate (like mine) and swap it in the bose for your rebuilt system and do the manual to auto climate control conversion.

Ps. It's good that your Bose is working, and even better that it's been rebuilt in the past, but the 3rd gen Bose amps and speakers just weren't all that great of a designed system. EVEN THOUGH yours still works, the smart move would be to either A. Find a third gen with an aftermarket system already in it, and add on to that with your speaker/amp/head unit choice, or just install an aftermarket system in whatever car you do find. It will save you money in the long run, and will inevitably sound better for less $$.

All I have in my car is:

JVC CD/MP3 Player (KD-LH810)
Cerwin Vega 6X9" 3-Ways
Alpine 6 1/2" 2-Ways
Kicker 10" Enclosed Subwoofer
Clarion 400W Bridged Amp

Pretty inexpensive and quality sound- better than a BOSE anyway.

I rode in a brand new Impalla lately and it had Bose with a 6 disc mp3 player, I think it sounded like ****.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 AM

Location: Long Beach, CA is where i live. Queens NYC is always home.
personally, i`m not a fan of the Bose system setup.It`s not as versatile to upgrades like the no Bose ( clarion equipped) cars. I had Bose in my 92 SE and it was ok until the amps blew. I got rid of it and just ran the audio like a regular radio. The bose was great when the cars were new. I remember my uncles SE when it was new and it pumped. But it`s old technology now.Might as well upgrade to more current stuff. Keep the Bose grilles tho ..=P
Old 06-26-2008, 08:16 PM

may sound crazy but it's possible.
just create a rack or mount for the amps, run decent wiring and i belive it requires one relay to power all of the amps.

my fronts are powered by the clarion amp along with the rears, since evrything is basically back there it sould be kinda easy.