3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Time to say goodbye to the 93 maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=yaofch;6541671]I have a 93 maxima gxe with about 115,000 miles on it last Saturday. After a horrible sound from the font, the car is stuck on the road with the front wheels freezed. It is not movable even put on neutral. Very likely it's the auto transmission. end/QUOTE]

thats wierd its not even moveable in nuetral? you mean by engine? or you cant even push it or roll it? lift the front and try spinning the wheels to confirm

ive replaced torque converters that strip out and dont even spin the transmission shaft any more on my first maxima and a friends 90 stanza
200 bucks each ,but i had to pull the transmisshys and put em back
both cases the car kick-downshifted and just spun as if in nuetral
but the real clue was immediatly after turning off motor you could hear the converter still spinning and making a scrape noise

when you get yours out look in the converter body with a flashlight
and you might just throw in a new converter (let the fluid drip out so you can see in the better)
Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BenStoked
maybe your current project doesnt need air tools, but some jobs can be cut in half just by using an air tool (impact wrench and air ratchet ftmfw!)
decide to do your struts/springs? air tools will cut the job down to less than 30 minutes for the front set, vs about an hour and a half (and save a case of beer for the drinkers out there... you know what I mean!)
I can promise you that pneumatic tools would have cut my valve cover reassembly time in half, as well as the removal. I've got plenty of time and not enough money so air tools wouldn't be as efficient as standing hunched over my car for hours in 90 degree weather dripping sweat.

You make the struts/springs sound easy with or without the tools. My dad spent 2-3 hours replacing the high pressure power steering hose, I've spent at least 6 hours and likely twice that on my underhood dress up project not to mention all the hours I've spent under the hood with a wire brush in the past.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i have done a tranny swap and subsequent clutch replacement, engine removal off the parts car, and currently paused in the middle of strutswap/brakeswap/bushings/tierods/etc. all without air tools. just don't have the money for it...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

hell I just got done re-doing the rear main seal on my 4th gen cuz when we did the clutch last thursday we didnt use enough silicon for the seal plate... how fun that was, now my timing is off cuz we had to spin the flywheel to mate the trans and motor. Glad I had air tools
Old 08-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
hell I just got done re-doing the rear main seal on my 4th gen cuz when we did the clutch last thursday we didnt use enough silicon for the seal plate... how fun that was, now my timing is off cuz we had to spin the flywheel to mate the trans and motor. Glad I had air tools
??? how is your timing off from that?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
thats what I'm wondering...or the starter is just spinning and not turning the FW
Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
he forgot to tighten up the crankshaft sensor
Old 08-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
he forgot to tighten up the crankshaft sensor
uh... now i'm confused. are vq's that weird? i can remove my tranny, clutch, flywheel, and rear main any time of day or night and my timing won't change........ or is the sensor on the VQ over on the rear of the engine?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:53 PM

lol hey we were working on the car all day long and we were exhausted give us a break here :P what happened was that the sensor is held by a 10mm bolt just like everything else on nissans and just like every old 10mm bolt, the head breaks so guess what? It was loose. Its all good now