3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG UDP w/ only 2 rows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

VG UDP w/ only 2 rows?

Hello, I'm slowly putting my VG auto back together after I replaced the rear main seal (seems to be a trend ), oil pan gaskets, LCA's, Engine mounts, Struts, PS pump, FSB Links, etc...

I wanted to install as many of the performance parts that I have accumulated over the years as I can, but, It seems that I may have an issue with the UDP I bought off eBay a few years ago. It only has space for 2 belts. The outer (A/C) belt row is missing. I don't know what brand it is. I got it for less than $100 about 3 or 4 years ago and never put it on. I know it isn't a UR brand. Anyway, I was wondering if I should install it to give it a try or not. I do live in Florida, but it will be Fall soon and I may not drive the car all that much.

I just wonder if anyone has heard of such a UDP with only 2 rows or if I have the wrong one. Sitting side by side w/ the OEM pully it seems like it will fit. I will check it out tomorrow.

BTW, are UDPs (under drive pulleys) available for sale for the 3rd gens anymore? If this one doesn't give me the performance I am looking for I may sell it.

-Mark
Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Hello, I'm slowly putting my VG auto back together after I replaced the rear main seal (seems to be a trend ), oil pan gaskets, LCA's, Engine mounts, Struts, PS pump, FSB Links, etc...

I wanted to install as many of the performance parts that I have accumulated over the years as I can, but, It seems that I may have an issue with the UDP I bought off eBay a few years ago. It only has space for 2 belts. The outer (A/C) belt row is missing. I don't know what brand it is. I got it for less than $100 about 3 or 4 years ago and never put it on. I know it isn't a UR brand. Anyway, I was wondering if I should install it to give it a try or not. I do live in Florida, but it will be Fall soon and I may not drive the car all that much.

I just wonder if anyone has heard of such a UDP with only 2 rows or if I have the wrong one. Sitting side by side w/ the OEM pully it seems like it will fit. I will check it out tomorrow.

BTW, are UDPs (under drive pulleys) available for sale for the 3rd gens anymore? If this one doesn't give me the performance I am looking for I may sell it.

-Mark
aaron has one for his VE but i think he cut the thing off himself w/ some sort of tool he's got in his shop.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:40 PM

ASP should still sell udp's for the vg so you should call them about that but im pretty sure these are considered strictly racing mods so i wouldn't be surprised if they leave out the ac cuz usually thats the first thing that gets chopped for wieght sake
Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 PM
STFU n00b!

Sleepy.. Shut up if you don't know WTF you're talking about.
ASP makes pulleys for all kinds of cars. I've had one on my VE for about 8 years now.

mrkanda, the pulley is probably from a Z31. They only use 2 belts, IIRC.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Sleepy.. Shut up if you don't know WTF you're talking about.
ASP makes pulleys for all kinds of cars. I've had one on my VE for about 8 years now.

mrkanda, the pulley is probably from a Z31. They only use 2 belts, IIRC.
do they make varying sizes of UDPs for our engines (ie, more or less underdriven)? and/or stock size but just lightweight?

(and yea i've noticed sleepy seems half-asleep when he posts b/c he never makes sense )
Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 PM

I heart my UDP. That is all.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:08 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by goon9
I heart my UDP. That is all.
+1, I have an ASP. I forget if they actually make one for the VG, if they ever did; I'm almost positive it's not being developed anymore. I know for a fact that Unorthodox Racing used to make them for the VG too; pretty sure they were all three band pulleys though.

Also, sleepy... Our A/C's are clutch driven so taking off the belt won't help performance any noticeable amount.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
+1, I have an ASP. I forget if they actually make one for the VG, if they ever did; I'm almost positive it's not being developed anymore. I know for a fact that Unorthodox Racing used to make them for the VG too; pretty sure they were all three band pulleys though.

Also, sleepy... Our A/C's are clutch driven so taking off the belt won't help performance any noticeable amount.
i think he meant removal of the entire system for weight reduction reasons
Old 08-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Hmmm.... Well, it seems that Matt is probably right again (as usual ). The one row on the pulley and the belt that came with it are both a lot wider than any of the pulleys on my car. I guess I got screwed by eBay misadformation! Well, that was back in '05. I think it was from ASP. It is new in box and has both belts with it. What is the best way to verify what application it goes to so I can try and sell it?

Also, I would like a UDP for my VG if anyone knows where to buy one. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE

Mine is unorthodox, and it has 3 rows.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:44 PM

Mine is UR as well and it also so has three rows. Maybe two row is for non-A/C cars? or as Matt said Z31
Old 08-16-2008, 02:17 PM
STFU n00b!

ASP Has listings for VE and Z31 VG- which has 2 rows.
They do not list one for a VG Maxima.
mrkanda, see if the pulley has a part number stamped in it- I don't remember if it does or not.
Also look at the belt sizes.
Then go to ASP's website aspracing.com I think and look it up in there. see if they cross.

If you can't find info there, call up ASP directly (small shop, about 5 people, real nice. They're about 30 min from my house and I've gone by a few times.) but call them up and tell them what's going on and ask if they can give you some rough dimensions of the Z21 pulley so you can compare yours to their numbers.

UR sells/sold one for VG Maximas with 3 rows. IIRC, they're the only ones that sold one for the VG Maxima.
And no, I don't think ASP would be wiling to make another pulley for the VG- there's just not that much demand in it. BUT.. you might see if they're willing to. can't hurt to ask. they'll probably require a sample pulley and 10+ minimum order to do it though.

Last edited by Matt93SE; 08-16-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
ASP Has listings for VE and Z31 VG- which has 2 rows.
They do not list one for a VG Maxima.
mrkanda, see if the pulley has a part number stamped in it- I don't remember if it does or not.
Also look at the belt sizes.
Then go to ASP's website aspracing.com I think and look it up in there. see if they cross.

If you can't find info there, call up ASP directly (small shop, about 5 people, real nice. They're about 30 min from my house and I've gone by a few times.) but call them up and tell them what's going on and ask if they can give you some rough dimensions of the Z21 pulley so you can compare yours to their numbers.

UR sells/sold one for VG Maximas with 3 rows. IIRC, they're the only ones that sold one for the VG Maxima.
And no, I don't think ASP would be wiling to make another pulley for the VG- there's just not that much demand in it. BUT.. you might see if they're willing to. can't hurt to ask. they'll probably require a sample pulley and 10+ minimum order to do it though.
Matt have you been to their new location on Sugarbridge between W Airport and Mula Rd?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 AM

There's something else you can do...Sent your VG crank pulley to ASP and they'll copy it in T6061 aluminum of course. You gain hp/throttle response due to the weight reduction. But the accessories will still be turning at their normal spend which could be good in a street sense or bad it it's a full time racecar looking to reduce the accessories speeds. If you can't do that... I'll take mine(1990 VG30E Oem) to them for them to copy if you need your ride! PM me ok!

Last edited by CMax03; 08-18-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by CMax03
There's something else you can do...Sent your VG crank pulley to ASAP and they'll copy it in T6061 aluminum of course. You gain hp/throttle response due to the weight reduction. But the accessories will still be turning at their normal spend which could be good in a street sense or bad it it's a full time racecar looking to reduce the accessories speeds. If you can't do that... I'll take mine(1990 VG30E Oem) to them for them to copy if you need your ride! PM me ok!
how much would a (custom?) job like that run though? compared to the cost of a UDP that's already in semi-mass production?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:17 PM
STFU n00b!

Matt have you been to their new location on Sugarbridge between W Airport and Mula Rd?
No, haven't been by there yet. I go by that area all the time since Sterling McCall Nissan is just around the corner. might have to stop by and see if they want to make some lightweight pulleys for my power steering and water pump on the 240...
Old 08-17-2008, 02:40 PM

There's something else you can do...Sent your VG crank pulley to ASAP and they'll copy it in T6061 aluminum of course. You gain hp/throttle response due to the weight reduction. But the accessories will still be turning at their normal spend which could be good in a street sense or bad it it's a full time racecar looking to reduce the accessories speeds. If you can't do that... I'll take mine(1990 VG30E Oem) to them for them to copy if you need your ride! PM me ok!
now why would they make it out of t6061 i know thats what they use on the fidanza flywheel but wouldn't there be a lighter material we could use for such a small part if not id still consider doing it ive always been paranoid about udp's because ive heard alot of people say that they lose so much low end that they end up going back to stock
Old 08-17-2008, 03:49 PM
STFU n00b!

6061 is the material of choice for these types of parts. most other alu alloys aren't strong enough, unless you go to an even more expensive alloy.

and no, you don't lose low end from adding a pulley. the people that told you that just haven't learned how to launch their cars with one installed.
When you lower rotating mass of the engine, you make it harder to launch because there's not as much inertia trying to still spin the flywheel.

Drag racing is more conducive to heavy flywheels and rotating assemblies. for road racing, lighter is better.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
now why would they make it out of t6061 i know thats what they use on the fidanza flywheel but wouldn't there be a lighter material we could use for such a small part if not id still consider doing it ive always been paranoid about udp's because ive heard alot of people say that they lose so much low end that they end up going back to stock
Well I purchased a unorthodox UDP from Custom Maxima b4 they went out of business and when comparing OEM to Unorthodox's UDP....the weight difference alone is a major factor. The factory is pretty heavy, about 6 lbs and the UDP is about .9 lbs. So that much weight off your crank should result in better throttle response. Now the problem that I was aware of was those with BIG AUDIO weren't able to keep their batteries full charged, due to the slower spinning altenator speeds! That will not be a factor yours will be stock size, if they use mine as the example....PM me if you're interested!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM
STFU n00b!

I've got a 2500w RMS stereo in my car and a UDP. I have zero problems keeping the battery charged.

with the UDP, an OEM alternator will charge ~70A at the engine's normal 700rpm idle speed. that's 1000W of charge capacity at idle. It takes about 50w to run the engine, so let's say there's 950W left over to run the audio system.

If you run the system at 1000+ W CONSTANT long enough to drain the battery, you're going to be one (or many) of these:
1. deaf
2. in jail for disturbing the peace
3. carjacked
4. on fire because you melted the voice coils of your speakers 30 seconds into it.

Needing an overdriven alternator and multiple batteries to keep your stereo powered is urban legend.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Well I contacted Unorthodox Racing to see if they were able to make and/or supply a UDP for the VG Maxima, and here is what they said:

They have been discontinued for a few years. We plan on offering special
order options for discontinued parts late this year so stay tuned to the
site, we have a new one coming online in the next week or so.

:-)
Shawn Baumgartner
631.586.9525 x.16

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:07 AM
To: shawnb@unorthodoxracing.com
Subject: UDP for VG Maxima

Hello, I know UR used to make and carry UDPs for the
89-94 VG Nissan Maximas. I was wondering if there is
any way to still get one. If not, is there any scope
for producing them again? Thanks, Mark
Old 08-18-2008, 06:24 PM
STFU n00b!

Check with *gag* Courtesy.. they used to stock them. might still have one on the shelf.
Don't let them tell you they can order them and get one in though, cause obviously unorthodox doesn't keep them on the shelf anymore.