3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

1990 Maxima running poorly.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ridemywideglide
I just went out and tried that, no go.. The wiring seems pretty well intact in the car for the age. Nothing I've found has been brittle or cracked.

Also went through ALL of the signal checks, everything is good on that end.

Also the MAF passes the manual tests.. Only checks voltage in and out tho...
I found wiggling that MAF wire would change my state of idle! The defective wiring was inside the sheilded wire.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 AM

You think I'm safe buying a used part off ebay? There are several on there now. I'm not against buying a new one, but I'd rather make sure that the problem before I drop $200 on one.

Is there a mechanical/electrical way to test the MAF itself?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 AM

You think I'm safe buying a used part off ebay? There are several on there now. I'm not against buying a new one, but I'd rather make sure that the problem before I drop $200 on one.

Is there a mechanical/electrical way to test the MAF itself?
You just did that: dropit off from the game...

Call local JY...

I have been tuning my MAF and found it to be very asthmatic device. It can detect your finger approaching (=turbulence) 'one foot distance'.
Therefore test/try running the engine without filter; if I remember right, theres a service bulletin on wrong/dirty filter.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
You just did that: dropit off from the game...

Call local JY...

I have been tuning my MAF and found it to be very asthmatic device. It can detect your finger approaching (=turbulence) 'one foot distance'.
Therefore test/try running the engine without filter; if I remember right, theres a service bulletin on wrong/dirty filter.
No local junkyards sadly.. The drive would be more than shipping one.

I went back out and tried it off the filter, no difference. While it was running, I poked my fingers around in there and noticed that if I covered 1/3 to 1/2 of the opening, it got better.

So the duck tape came out....
Drives great like this, around the block anyway. I don't know how this would be on the highway, or what my mileage would be.

I'm guessing this could mean I have a large vacuum leak...???
I've sprayed around the whole engine with brake-clean and there are no rpm increases...
Attached Thumbnails 1990 Maxima running poorly.-20081128_084.jpg  
Old 11-28-2008, 11:35 AM

No local junkyards sadly.. The drive would be more than shipping one.

I went back out and tried it off the filter, no difference. While it was running, I poked my fingers around in there and noticed that if I covered 1/3 to 1/2 of the opening, it got better.

So the duck tape came out....
Drives great like this, around the block anyway. I don't know how this would be on the highway, or what my mileage would be.

I'm guessing this could mean I have a large vacuum leak...???
I've sprayed around the whole engine with brake-clean and there are no rpm increases...
Last time I visited Springs there were even 3gen maximas plenty around

I guess no vac leak: either the heating resistor or sensor element has deteriorated or got covered by soot. Take the meshes out, use cleaner while lightly brushing. Then place a plastic/metal plate longitudinally inside the MAF 'tube', halving the diameter like Ø ... this tames turbulences while not affecting flow.

Duct taping just chokes pwr, wont affect mpg: ECU always compensates injection based on airflow.

The sensor elements (in the airflow):
see http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/9

Last edited by Wiking; 11-28-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:41 AM

I'm about 5 hours from springs.. Grand Junction would be the closest place from here.

I've already pulled the screens and gently cleaned with TB cleaner. Didn't make a difference.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:57 AM

I'm about 5 hours from springs.. Grand Junction would be the closest place from here.

I've already pulled the screens and gently cleaned with TB cleaner. Didn't make a difference.
From my viewpoint they all fit under one fingertip... but not really, cant comprehend the scale: 14hrs from here (at 500mph).

Theres also compensating & amp electronics inside the 'box' ... any of em may be semi dead. Drive with the duct tape until u get better.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wiking
From my viewpoint they all fit under one fingertip... but not really, cant comprehend the scale: 14hrs from here (at 500mph).
Hahaha.. I see your point. About 230 miles.. Not a trip I want to make for a $50 part.

I found one on ebay for $26 shipped... I'll try that and go from there.

Placing a piece of metal in the opening did nothing either.. Made more airfoil noise, that's it.

I noticed the sensor is not directly behind the heater, as it looks like it should be in order to "feel" the heated air. Maybe it already was bashed and the tape is altering the flow in the right direction. If I tape the other side of the opening (left versun right) it dies right away.

Thanks for all your help and information. Your site should be required reading..
Old 11-28-2008, 12:41 PM

... Maybe it already was bashed and the tape is altering the flow in the right direction. If I tape the other side of the opening (left versun right) it dies right away...
Good if the 26$olution works. Hope its all for now.

If MAF sensitivity goes down, adding 'more' airflow (like u did with choking) around the sensor, compensates ... The word [around] here is very vague due to somewhat chaotic airflow. I've been rippin my hairs off on this issue, got some results. But like R Kipling says; "its another story"...

I do hope that someone someday opens the MAF 'box', digs out all the component types and distributes the knowledge. Should be easy solder/repair work.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Hot DAMN!! The duck tape fixed my car too! Sorry to dig this up, but it may be of some future use. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ImAlive1459
Hot DAMN!! The duck tape fixed my car too! Sorry to dig this up, but it may be of some future use. Thanks!
What is "duck tape"?

15 is just around the corner!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ImAlive1459

Just hit a junkyard and find a new MAF... Like I said, mine ran $26, and the car is still running great. I've given it to my girlfriends daughter, so don't do much with it at this point.

And what is "duck tape"?? Hahaha, c'mon Hectic... That's the **** you use when you duck breaks and you need put him back together...
You've never heard of duck weld have you, duh...

Old 01-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Oh ha ha very funny.

Except:

Duck Tape

Yes, you have been served.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM

Well,,, I was hoping that he wasn't serious...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
What is "duck tape"?

15 is just around the corner!
I don't know how much it would help for me to be able to post. I can really only share ways to jury-rig things. Not sure how helpful that would be.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Just hit a junkyard and find a new MAF... Like I said, mine ran $26, and the car is still running great. I've given it to my girlfriends daughter, so don't do much with it at this point.
Got me another MAF and still no good. I'm lost now. I guess I should try to change my o2 sensor now. Any suggestions? Do I need to reset my ECU or anything now that the new sensor is in?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel injector?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 AM

WHite plugs and a lot of sputtering was my issue also..

Unplugged the MAF as adviced then cranked and wala. perfect idle.

New MAF will be purchased. THanks MAxima.org