3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

is it my window motor or regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 PM

is it my window motor or regulator?

the rear window went out awhile ago and i replaced the regulator, that window had completely shut off all at once which i guessed was the regulator snapping or something.

now ive got both front windows acting funny the drivers side shut off completely while it was open all the way and i assummed it was the regulator but the next day the window worked perfectly then the passenger side started acting funny because sometimes it will stop while coming up or puase inermittently and slow down i now have to wiggle the window to get it to come up but this only happens sometimes usually it works perfectly

so should i replace the motors or the regualtors in the front driver and pasenger side wondows?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

it could be the switch causing the signal to not always reach the motors, or bad wiring before/after the switch.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:33 PM

yea try the switch first more then likely its that
Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 PM

probably cracked or weak connections on the switch's circuit board...
Old 11-27-2008, 10:03 PM

regulator holds the window in the track and provides a track for the window to raise and lower on. If the window is stable then I would look at the electronics. And if you have more than one that is acting up i'd be leaning towards it being the master switch.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:01 PM

i have a simular problem mine will go down but it is slow going up and sometimes stops i am guessing its the motor also
Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by woot
i have a simular problem mine will go down but it is slow going up and sometimes stops i am guessing its the motor also
eh, if it's trying, then the switch is fine. you might have worn out tracks that are grabbing the glass on its way up, causing extra resistance, and a slower climb. your window wiggles alot in the track when halfway up, doesn't it?
Old 12-27-2008, 08:53 AM

I have some of the same problems with my windows i have 3 windows that will not do anything and 1 window that will move but get stuck and makes a popping noise when i press the switch to let it down and out of the 3 windows that will move the driver side winodw falls down so i had to put a broom handle to hand it in place.. so if anymore can get me going into the correct direction on these issue it would be helpful
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 AM

the one you had the broom handle in is definetly the regulator it maybe for all four of them or some of them might be of track but the other two that dont move sounds more like a dead motor to me

my window problem automatically fixed itself which tells me it was the window master switch and it will probably break just as magically as it fixed itself
Old 12-28-2008, 03:20 AM

master control console Imo....
Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 AM

2 front windows do that. Is it the regulator??? Theres no popping noise or anything, but they'll just stop sometimes. Maybe i need to spray some WD-40 on the insides?? lol
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 AM
I can has?

Window Needs to be realigned/ New Motor

Originally Posted by 1993maximaTAG
I have some of the same problems with my windows i have 3 windows that will not do anything and 1 window that will move but get stuck and makes a popping noise when i press the switch to let it down and out of the 3 windows that will move the driver side winodw falls down so i had to put a broom handle to hand it in place.. so if anymore can get me going into the correct direction on these issue it would be helpful
Regulators

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
the one you had the broom handle in is definetly the regulator it maybe for all four of them or some of them might be of track but the other two that dont move sounds more like a dead motor to me

my window problem automatically fixed itself which tells me it was the window master switch and it will probably break just as magically as it fixed itself
Master Window Switch

/Thread
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM

I'VE BEEN BRINGING MY DADS MAXIMA BACK TO LIFE AND ONLY THE FRONT PASSENGERS SIDE WOULD WORK. cHANGED THE TWO REAR REGULATOR AND MOTOR AND THEY WORK GREAT. BUT MY DRIVERSIDE WILL NOT BUDGE!! i CAN HEAR IT ATTEMPT TO MOVE, BUT NOTHING HAPPENS. i CONNECTED A NEW MOTOR AND REGULATOR, BUT THAT WONT WORK AT ALL. tRIED A USED MASTER WINDOW SWITCH AND NOTHING WORKED! doNT KNOW WHAT TO DO, chANGED THE WHOLE DOOR? PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BX-NY-MAX
I'VE BEEN BRINGING MY DADS MAXIMA BACK TO LIFE AND ONLY THE FRONT PASSENGERS SIDE WOULD WORK. cHANGED THE TWO REAR REGULATOR AND MOTOR AND THEY WORK GREAT. BUT MY DRIVERSIDE WILL NOT BUDGE!! i CAN HEAR IT ATTEMPT TO MOVE, BUT NOTHING HAPPENS. i CONNECTED A NEW MOTOR AND REGULATOR, BUT THAT WONT WORK AT ALL. tRIED A USED MASTER WINDOW SWITCH AND NOTHING WORKED! doNT KNOW WHAT TO DO, chANGED THE WHOLE DOOR? PLEASE HELP!!!
retype w/o capslock or nobody will read it.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
retype w/o capslock or nobody will read it.
Thanks!
Drivers side window stuck in up position. I do hear a sound when I attempt to lower it but nothing happens. All other windows work. Attempted to change regulator and motor, but upon checking the new motor by plugging it in, it doesn't move at all, no sound. Tried a new (used ) master window switch, but then none of the windows work. Tried forcing window down, but no luck, seems stuck! any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Thanks!
Drivers side window stuck in up position. I do hear a sound when I attempt to lower it but nothing happens. All other windows work. Attempted to change regulator and motor, but upon checking the new motor by plugging it in, it doesn't move at all, no sound. Tried a new (used ) master window switch, but then none of the windows work. Tried forcing window down, but no luck, seems stuck! any suggestions would be appreciated!
is it just a faint click, or does it sound like stuff inside the door is trying to move but is stuck/jammed?

if it's just a faint click, probably a dead motor (list price is $350!!! so get a good used one here http://forums.maxima.org/1st-3rd-gen...-1981-1994-44/)

if it's stuff in the door trying to move but can't, then it's the regulator cable guides that are broken. get a new regulator here http://www.courtesyparts.com/80701-r...4-p-44776.html or see if anyone who's parting cars out has any here http://forums.maxima.org/1st-3rd-gen...-1981-1994-44/
Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the reply caped! I have a new regulator and motor, but when i plug it in to test, it doesn't move at all, i don't even hear the sound (faint clicking noise). THats why i thought it was the master switch, but when i tried a different one , none of the windows worked ( maybe just a bad switch?) The car sat for a few years and it got a little rusty on the inside ( i.e, door locks dont work ) Any other suggestions, thanks.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Thanks for the reply caped! I have a new regulator and motor, but when i plug it in to test, it doesn't move at all, i don't even hear the sound (faint clicking noise). THats why i thought it was the master switch, but when i tried a different one , none of the windows worked ( maybe just a bad switch?) The car sat for a few years and it got a little rusty on the inside ( i.e, door locks dont work ) Any other suggestions, thanks.
heh i read it wrong. it's possible both switches were bad. it's not uncommon for a switch to be bad, so it's easy to get another bad one from the JY or whatever. if none of the wires are broken or anything and there is no corrosion in the connectors, then probably all you need is another switch that works. see if the Auto Down feature works with the original switch you had.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:11 PM

the auto down makes the same noise as the down button. sounds like it wants to go down but nothing happens. I just put a bid on ebay for another switch. Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the auto down makes the same noise as the down button. sounds like it wants to go down but nothing happens. I just put a bid on ebay for another switch. Thanks again for your help.
wait hold on... i thought you said it DIDN'T make noise.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
wait hold on... i thought you said it DIDN'T make noise.
Where did you read that drunkiefurball?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 PM

u said u tested the motor right try installing the regulator most likely the motors are fine ive replaced three regulators and on each one i reused the old motor

regulators are 30 bucks new and 60 bucks for the new motor (which u most likely dont need)

dont buy courtesy nissan this is where i bought all three regulators and they all work fine: http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Windo...n/Maxima/1993/
Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
Where did you read that drunkiefurball?
... I have a new regulator and motor, but when i plug it in to test, it doesn't move at all, i don't even hear the sound (faint clicking noise)...