3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can i have Blue Speedo Meter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by hadman
I wouldn't expect the cluster itself to be the issue. If anything the bulb would give off a bluish hue.
Not sure what you mean in terms of changing bulb position from left to right of the cluster, unless you mean spinning the bulb in its socket so it emit light from a different angle?
Did you replace all the bulbs in the cluster?
SE clusters actually have a slight blue tint on the face of the gauge itself.... for example if you are in a place where the streetlights are sort of orangey, the blubs will look bluish a little bit. In the video, i have SE gauges with plain clear-glass incandescent 194 bulbs. (Ozzy FTW )

Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
SE clusters actually have a slight blue tint on the face of the gauge itself.... for example if you are in a place where the streetlights are sort of orangey, the blubs will look bluish a little bit. In the video, i have SE gauges with plain clear-glass incandescent 194 bulbs. (Ozzy FTW )

it looks more brownish to me tho cuz BLUE + ORANGE = BROWNISH or YELLOW + ORANGE = PURPLE

Last edited by burhan92SE; 01-29-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
it looks more brownish to me tho cuz BLUE + ORANGE = BROWNISH or YELLOW + ORANGE = PURPLE
since when does yellow + orange = purple???

anyhow, it's more noticeable in person.. i had automatic white-balance enabled on the camera so it adjusted the coloration... but if youve got orange street lights shining into the car enough to where they light up your gauge faces, the back-lighting will look kindof bluish. it might just be a subtractive-coloration phenomenon tho. like if you close your eyes and cover one eye with your hand then shine a flashlight at your face... when you open your eyes, one eye will make stuff look bluish (the eye that had the flashlight shone at it thru the eyelid) and the covered eye will show thing in normal color.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

aight well i had a spare SE tach lying around... so i took it apart and snapped a few pics

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...ster%20gauges/
as i suspected the plastic itself IS blue, with a white coating sprayed onto it, to make the white face of the gauge. the blue is JUST so, that it offsets the orange-ish nature of the stock incandescent bulbs (which themselves have that blue slipcover on them)

translucent blue plastic with white coating on it

backlit by a small LED flashlight

backlit by an incandescent light fixture

i also noticed something else... that plastic face is REALLY restrictive! it lets almost NO light through! the LED flashlight was blindingly bright but even in a dark room with all the lights off and the led flashlight pressed up against the backing of the gauge.. it still wasn't terribly bright. you can sort of see this here (real short exposure, LED positioned right behind the hole the stopper needle goes through)
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM

aight well i had a spare SE tach lying around... so i took it apart and snapped a few pics

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...ster%20gauges/
as i suspected the plastic itself IS blue, with a white coating sprayed onto it, to make the white face of the gauge. the blue is JUST so, that it offsets the orange-ish nature of the stock incandescent bulbs (which themselves have that blue slipcover on them)

translucent blue plastic with white coating on it

backlit by a small LED flashlight

backlit by an incandescent light fixture

i also noticed something else... that plastic face is REALLY restrictive! it lets almost NO light through! the LED flashlight was blindingly bright but even in a dark room with all the lights off and the led flashlight pressed up against the backing of the gauge.. it still wasn't terribly bright. you can sort of see this here (real short exposure, LED positioned right behind the hole the stopper needle goes through)

really eh...interesting cap..
Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

really eh...interesting cap..
you're the one that said it looked brown
Old 01-30-2009, 12:35 AM

you're the one that said it looked brown
no in video it still looks brownish to me till u cleared up in pics..
Old 01-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

no in video it still looks brownish to me till u cleared up in pics..
o ok. but i really think i might want to put the blue lights back in that I had before... see, when it's white, and it's dusky outside it's too dark to see the cluster with the backlighting off, but it's too light still to be able to see the backlighting very well.. maybe having colored lights will change that. i had blue in when i first swapped in the SE cluster

the first pic is so cool i think... had the map light on. no LEDs tho... just 194b blue bulbs

they weren't bad, but i still wished they were brighter than they were. i guess i'll give your LED thing a try... 2 blue 2 white, until i make up my mind which is better then i'll settle for all one color.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

o ok. but i really think i might want to put the blue lights back in that I had before... see, when it's white, and it's dusky outside it's too dark to see the cluster with the backlighting off, but it's too light still to be able to see the backlighting very well.. maybe having colored lights will change that. i had blue in when i first swapped in the SE cluster

the first pic is so cool i think... had the map light on. no LEDs tho... just 194b blue bulbs

they weren't bad, but i still wished they were brighter than they were. i guess i'll give your LED thing a try... 2 blue 2 white, until i make up my mind which is better then i'll settle for all one color.
Veddy veddy interesting indeed. True, in my original cluster swap I used 194 blues, but not LED, just a standard wedge bulb.
What I'm trying to understand is why/how, the OEM Nissan bulbs are white with a green condom (now discovered to emit light through a blue tint), which results in... white.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by hadman
Veddy veddy interesting indeed. True, in my original cluster swap I used 194 blues, but not LED, just a standard wedge bulb.
What I'm trying to understand is why/how, the OEM Nissan bulbs are white with a green condom (now discovered to emit light through a blue tint), which results in... white.
that's just a matter of optical engineering. the incandescent light bulb emits a yellowish-orange light... and passing that through a blue filter of just the right shade will reduce all colors but blue (the weakest color in incandescent light), making all colors have about the same strength... thus, white. However that reduces light throughput... which is why ricer blue headlight bulbs, although they look 'brighter' are actually far far dimmer than clear-glass bulbs.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 PM

Unrelated to this thread, kind of.
I noticed your clock is blue. That is standard on the SE I believe? or did you modify that to do so? (Do you know if it can be modified to blue?)
Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Niccos89
Unrelated to this thread, kind of.
I noticed your clock is blue. That is standard on the SE I believe? or did you modify that to do so? (Do you know if it can be modified to blue?)
no, clock on all maximas r green but i have no idea why his clock looks blue maybe jus a glance
Old 01-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

no, clock on all maximas r green but i have no idea why his clock looks blue maybe jus a glance
auto white-balance on my camera trying to 'correct' for the orangeish lights inside the tunnel
Old 01-31-2009, 12:38 AM

auto white-balance on my camera trying to 'correct' for the orangeish lights inside the tunnel
oh ok...that make sense...
Old 01-31-2009, 01:28 AM

Ok...Ive seen a pictures of SE's with what appears to be "blue" clocks....even some old promo pics of them.....do you know how the color is determined in the clock?
I've done some research and didnt find anything....apparently its controlled by voltage, not by an LED ??...and another source suggests its a tint, like the gauges....I pulled mine a while ago, it didnt appear to be tinted...
Old 01-31-2009, 06:46 AM

hadman: i mean take one bulb out from one side of the cluster and move it to the other side of the cluster. and yes i replaced all 4 of them with the ones i ordered.

burhan92SE: the bulbs i got were the same ones that you posted the link of on here but in white. now that i read capes findings on the gauge faces having a blue tint with white overlay that would explain why i would have blue hot spots with white on the damn gauge faces. if i would have just used blue then it will give me a consistent hue instead of white and blue mixed. oh well?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:02 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
hadman: i mean take one bulb out from one side of the cluster and move it to the other side of the cluster. and yes i replaced all 4 of them with the ones i ordered.

burhan92SE: the bulbs i got were the same ones that you posted the link of on here but in white. now that i read capes findings on the gauge faces having a blue tint with white overlay that would explain why i would have blue hot spots with white on the damn gauge faces. if i would have just used blue then it will give me a consistent hue instead of white and blue mixed. oh well?
i see.. i just have 2 issues with using blue bulbs.
1) the odometer turns blue
2) the redzone turns a bit purplish

i would rather be able to use white backlighting just because you can be a little more creative with your colorations... like having white letters, the "x1000r/min" amber, and the needle blue. that's what i would like mine to look like actually.

I wonder just how difficult it would be to get some un-tinted gauge faces printed up.. it's just a thin sheet of plastic with a few holes in it and opaque ink printed on it... cant be that hard?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:18 AM

i see.. i just have 2 issues with using blue bulbs.
1) the odometer turns blue
2) the redzone turns a bit purplish

i would rather be able to use white backlighting just because you can be a little more creative with your colorations... like having white letters, the "x1000r/min" amber, and the needle blue. that's what i would like mine to look like actually.

I wonder just how difficult it would be to get some un-tinted gauge faces printed up.. it's just a thin sheet of plastic with a few holes in it and opaque ink printed on it... cant be that hard?
i guess get an 8.5 x 11 laminate sheet and print on it and then cut out and try that first. nice idea cape!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:36 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i guess get an 8.5 x 11 laminate sheet and print on it and then cut out and try that first. nice idea cape!
well i know a guy (d0zxmustang) on performanceprobe.com that has done some pretty sick stuff (met him personally... he's a riot)... he designed a set of custom faces on his computer, and then had them made by another member on their site.. here's the thread

http://www.performanceprobe.com/foru...ad.php?t=30025

i PM'd the James guy (he's the one who makes them) asking if he can and would make clear-backed ones (that let more light through) and for how much.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 AM

well i know a guy (d0zxmustang) on performanceprobe.com that has done some pretty sick stuff (met him personally... he's a riot)... he designed a set of custom faces on his computer, and then had them made by another member on their site.. here's the thread

http://www.performanceprobe.com/foru...ad.php?t=30025

i PM'd the James guy (he's the one who makes them) asking if he can and would make clear-backed ones (that let more light through) and for how much.
sick, now if you can get it done so we can all get our hands on them, that'll be great!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

sick, now if you can get it done so we can all get our hands on them, that'll be great!
heh yea. hopefully he can do them for a reasonable price
Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 PM

u have hot spots with the bulbs i posted? with white color? hmm interesting...they r not suppose to make hot spots....r u sure u got the same bulbs?.....i m gonna order these in white too and see wat can i do...
Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

u have hot spots with the bulbs i posted? with white color? hmm interesting...they r not suppose to make hot spots....r u sure u got the same bulbs?.....i m gonna order these in white too and see wat can i do...
i think he's having it where the areas where the light is closest to the face is white.. then the areas between lights are more bluish... i think.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

got an email from the guy, and responded. he's wary of it, since d0zxmustang has had illumination issues... so i told him that if he can just send me a 2x2 square of the vynil that he usually prints onto, that i'll be able to tell him whether or not it's gonna let enough light through. If it does, i assured him that our stock optics and the LEDs burhan introduced will take care of the rest; no need to worry. Hopefully his vynil will be less restrictive than the stock stuff... and i'll be able to coax him into printing a test face... even if it's just one gauge (i have a spare tach sitting on the table).

so cross your fingers.

edit:
he's gonna send me one of the extras from d0zxmustang's set, just for me to see how well they pass light. teh awesomes

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 01-31-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 PM

i think he's having it where the areas where the light is closest to the face is white.. then the areas between lights are more bluish... i think.
yeah u r right but wat u explained is suppose happen with other normal LEDs not with these...thats why i recommend these LEDs cuz the small led lights on these bulbs r on 4 corners not in the middle so they dont throw all the light from the center but from sides not making hot spots...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM

its not really hot spots but rather some areas more white than others which are bluish, cape, commented about this where he did his research on actually revealing some of the blue tint that is under the white coated surface of the gauge faces and that might be whats going on with me. if i would have ordered blue instead of white then i don't think i should be having this problem with discoloration of the gauge faces.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

its not really hot spots but rather some areas more white than others which are bluish, cape, commented about this where he did his research on actually revealing some of the blue tint that is under the white coated surface of the gauge faces and that might be whats going on with me. if i would have ordered blue instead of white then i don't think i should be having this problem with discoloration of the gauge faces.
well i'm gonna get the ones from this dude, and then if you want i can send you one of them to testfit with the LEDs you have. it won't have the right markings on it, but i have a spare dead speedo lying around that i can just mail you to let you see how well it lights up
Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 AM

well i'm gonna get the ones from this dude, and then if you want i can send you one of them to testfit with the LEDs you have. it won't have the right markings on it, but i have a spare dead speedo lying around that i can just mail you to let you see how well it lights up
sounds like a plan.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM

how maay light i will need to change the speedo and the shifter light? from green to blue? and how does the speedo come out?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
+Cru OG

Hmm .. I wonder if it'll work on mine.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well i got the spares from that dude... unfortunately they aren't what i thought they were. His are black letters and the white part lights up, instead of the way ours are. So i guess it's back to the drawing board. If i can find some sort of place that can print white opaque ink on something tho... I can get some printable transparencies and make some with a black face, just to see if they are any brighter.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM
+Cru OG

well i got the spares from that dude... unfortunately they aren't what i thought they were. His are black letters and the white part lights up, instead of the way ours are. So i guess it's back to the drawing board. If i can find some sort of place that can print white opaque ink on something tho... I can get some printable transparencies and make some with a black face, just to see if they are any brighter.
There's a company called "Script 2000 Communications" in Raleigh that does vinyl printing; maybe they can do what you're planning to do.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
There's a company called "Script 2000 Communications" in Raleigh that does vinyl printing; maybe they can do what you're planning to do.
have you had anything done through them before? and cost is an issue too.. i'm really not trying to spend any money on this haha.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Can somebody tell me how many bulbs im going to need to replace in order to change the speedo meter and the shifter color? and does anybody know what kind of bulbs are in the doors? and what all should have to take off to get to the speedo meter?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Can somebody tell me how many bulbs im going to need to replace in order to change the speedo meter and the shifter color? and does anybody know what kind of bulbs are in the doors? and what all should have to take off to get to the speedo meter?
i believe that was discussed earlier in the posting about 4 total for the dash if i recall, its in the posting for sure

Last edited by 300zmax; 02-11-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
194's: total of 4 bulbs...
how many for the gear box?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM

4 for the cluster and if i remember correctly i think its only 1 for the shifter but can't remember since my car ain't automatic anymore.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 PM

4 for the cluster and if i remember correctly i think its only 1 for the shifter but can't remember since my car ain't automatic anymore.
ok thankx..
Old 02-11-2009, 08:49 PM

how many for the gear box?
only 1 for gear box....
Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 AM

5 T10s
4 for dash oil / fuel / speedo / tacho / odo
1 for shifter

10-12 T3s (or T5s soldered in)
7 for A/C (less for Climate Control I think)
2-4 for steering collumn switches (dimmer, de-mister, cruise control on etc)
1 for driver's side power window

+ 1 for A/T "Power/Comfort" mode

Anyone know how to change the clock color?
is it voltage controlled ?

Quick Reply: Can i have Blue Speedo Meter?