3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

(Aftermarket) Alarms and keypads

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 PM

(Aftermarket) Alarms and keypads

Were the factory alarm and keypads ever both an option on the same car?

I'll looking at buying an aftermarket alarm, and want to sync it with my keypads on my door. Would it just be a matter of one wire being a kill signal, and the lock button sending an arm signal, or does it get messy?

Also, Ive seen aftermarket alarms with a feature similar to 4+ Gen alarms, hold down the button and the windows open up, has anyone seen this wired up to work on a 3rd gen ?

-Nic
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Aftermarket alarm simply replaces stock alarm, the keypad will still lock and unlock the doors even with the stock alarm unplugged, but if unlock the doors with the keypad and open them up, your alarm is going to go off because you didn't use the remote, which leads to the fact that the keypad more or less becomes obsolete once you have an aftermarket alarm with remote.

And as far as the windows, you need a power window module for to utilize that feature on the 3rd gen I believe. = more money, just a matter of whether or not you think you need it. It's possible if that's what you're asking.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 PM

So you're saying with the factory, if I keyed in the code and opened the door, and the factory alarm still goes off?

I was wondering if there is a wire I can splice the alarm into, so that the unlock / lock signal off the digital touch entry system computer, that will arm/disarm the alarm.
Right now I just have an aftermarket immobaliser and the keypads, but I want an alarm.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Aftermarket alarm simply replaces stock alarm, the keypad will still lock and unlock the doors even with the stock alarm unplugged, but if unlock the doors with the keypad and open them up, your alarm is going to go off because you didn't use the remote, which leads to the fact that the keypad more or less becomes obsolete once you have an aftermarket alarm with remote.

And as far as the windows, you need a power window module for to utilize that feature on the 3rd gen I believe. = more money, just a matter of whether or not you think you need it. It's possible if that's what you're asking.
ive got an aftermarket alarm and i didn't go through any of that.....tha alarm never sounds when i use the keypad..... i threw away the remote because it was a PITA i would put the keys in my pocket walk away and the car would unlock itself or start itself while the dam keys where still in my pocket.......but i always use the keypad i kinda show it off even cuz most newer cars dont even have a keypad.......alarm has never sounded on me once by doing that.....and im not sure how but there should be away to get the windows to roll down from a remote because the keypads have a button that allows you to roll them all down......not too sure about the windows but theres no way that all aftermarket alarms go off because u used the keypad to unlock the doors.

niccos, whatever u get make sure the dam remote doesnt go off when u put in your pocket or u'll just end up gutting your remote and using it as a key chain like i did
Old 03-21-2009, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
ive got an aftermarket alarm and i didn't go through any of that.....tha alarm never sounds when i use the keypad..... i threw away the remote because it was a PITA i would put the keys in my pocket walk away and the car would unlock itself or start itself while the dam keys where still in my pocket.......but i always use the keypad i kinda show it off even cuz most newer cars dont even have a keypad.......alarm has never sounded on me once by doing that.....and im not sure how but there should be away to get the windows to roll down from a remote because the keypads have a button that allows you to roll them all down......not too sure about the windows but theres no way that all aftermarket alarms go off because u used the keypad to unlock the doors.

niccos, whatever u get make sure the dam remote doesnt go off when u put in your pocket or u'll just end up gutting your remote and using it as a key chain like i did
Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear .
I asked the guys at the local store today, they said its easy as pie.
Some brands manufacture 'upgrade kits' that just plug and play into messy electrical systems like ours. He said as long as the keypad controls (unlock/lock, window/sunroof open/close signal) are controlled at a single point (the control module), and not at the doors individually, compatibility wont be a problem.

Did you have your alarm installed by a store or someone else? Or did you install it yourself?
Old 03-21-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e

Maybe the reason your aftermarket alarm didn't go off when you used the keypad is because it's a piece of trash which is validated by the fact you threw your remote away because it kept disarming the car when it was in your pocket. Aftermarket alarms are pretty simple. If you open a door, hood, trunk, or another input is activated when it's armed, it will trigger the siren. If you installed an alarm independent of the keyless entry (which is what he wants to do), the aftermarket alarm is going to go off unless the alarm is wired to disarm when the code is entered on the keypad. Looking through my Clifford 2-way install manual, doesn't look like there's any secondary disarm input, which isn't surprising because once again, there is no point in disarming and unlocking the car via anything besides the remote. Keypad is OLD technology, it becomes obsolete with a GOOD modern aftermarket system. Not some asianwolf crap you had installed at a shoddy stereo shop on the bad side of town.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-21-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Anyway Nicco, i'm not saying it's impossible for the keypad to disarm an aftermarket alarm, but at least with my Cliffy Matrix, doesn't look like there's any input for external disarm unless you wanted to somehow wire up the valet switch input to the keypad. Which is kind of odd because one might want the alarm to disarm when unlocking via key at least. I've never bothered with wiring an aftermarket system to disarm with anything other than the remote. But once again, there's really no need for a keypad, or even door keys once you have an aftermarket alarm installed..

Originally Posted by Niccos89
So you're saying with the factory, if I keyed in the code and opened the door, and the factory alarm still goes off?
No, I was saying the aftermarket alarm would go off because it was still armed even though the doors had been unlocked. Factory alarm should be completely disconnected when aftermarket is installed.

Here's my install for ****s and giggles. Not too difficult, took me an afternoon. Hardest part is finding the damn door lock and unlock wires that hide deep in the fat bundle of wires behind the driver side kick panel. $116 new off Ebay. ~$500 installed @ Worst Buy.

Non pocket disarming remote Even plays a song when you install a new battery.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-21-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Maybe the reason your aftermarket alarm didn't go off when you used the keypad is because it's a piece of trash which is validated by the fact you threw your remote away because it kept disarming the car when it was in your pocket. Aftermarket alarms are pretty simple. If you open a door, hood, trunk, or another input is activated when it's armed, it will trigger the siren. If you installed an alarm independent of the keyless entry (which is what he wants to do), the aftermarket alarm is going to go off unless the alarm is wired to disarm when the code is entered on the keypad. Looking through my Clifford 2-way install manual, doesn't look like there's any secondary disarm input, which isn't surprising because once again, there is no point in disarming and unlocking the car via anything besides the remote. Keypad is OLD technology, it becomes obsolete with a GOOD modern aftermarket system. Not some asianwolf crap you had installed at a shoddy stereo shop on the bad side of town.
Geez man, dig in some more huh?
YOUR system doesnt have an external disarm ability, so attacking HIS 'particular' system is like throwing stones from the front of your glass house.
Some systems can accomidate external disarming, I've seen that before, and I checked with some staff at a few places that sell and install alarms, and they said no problems with higher end, more expensive systems. Doesnt mean his system is dodgey, it could be quiet the opposite, a very well installed system.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:15 PM

I said it was pointless, not impossible. All I did was answer your original question about whether or not the keypad will work if you replaced the stock alarm with an aftermarket one. HE rolled his eyes and put words in my mouth. I'll keep throwing rocks from the front of my house, usually they just end up in the street anyway. Probably not the best idea to throw them in or at my house though
Old 07-11-2009, 02:02 AM

Is it possbile to use a ebay keyless with a '90 that do not have a keyless entry system?
I'm a little uncertain because if I use the lock/unlock button it will unlock/lock all doors except driver side.

Anyone knows if it works or not?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:02 AM

fellows this is easy.......
get rid of the keypads for a maxima S E model (i did)and i got a ve,too

seriously, just kidding i liked my old gxe ,i even took the after market alarm it had with me to my 91 se ,that and all my other mods. ive used this alarm so long (4 years in the gxe, 5 years in the 91 se) now the only remote it had came with
only has one out of four buttons still working (arm\disarm)ive re learned it to the last working button

i may just UNPLUG MY FACTORY ALARM because im sick of FORGETTING THAT IF I CLOSE THE HOOD OR TRUNK LAST and wait more than 15 seconds to hit the remote
it arms the factory alarm and honks the horn till i put my key in (this is because the next time you unlock with the aftermarket remote(if you let the factory alarm arm the car doesnt sense your key and thinks someone broke the window and lifted your doorlock
(worthless factory alarm doesnt detect glass breakage or cars hitting yours)

i also put me an alarm in my 92 se which i leave sensitive(although i only get false alarms when loud farty cars or motorcycles speed by the buildings in ravenna)

the old viper alarm i put in my truck is so old it was taken out of my friends cutlass in like
1995 and it sat in his room till i put it in my truck in like 2005 the remote batteries were still rockin this one i leave med sensitivity but the trucks so solid it takes a wollop to set it off accidently

Last edited by maximagician; 07-12-2009 at 04:23 AM.