3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Best way to pull the block and tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM

Best way to pull the block and tranny?

i want to pull my block and tranny out the bottom in one piece. has anyone done this with out a lift?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

usually when somebody wants to do this, they have an engine lift to lift up the front of the car (as i understand, that is how they do it) but yes, it is possible.
it would be difficult, because you would need to get the front far enough up to pull the motor out from under the car. I have gotten my front end up pretty high with jack stands, but I am unsure if it would be tall enough, and if it would be sturdy enough to work under
maybe if you have some really strong friends to lift it up?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Out the bottom is the best way to do it imo, that's how they went in at the factory..look up my ve retirement thread, it should have some pictures of the engine coming out the bottom in one piece..
Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Out the bottom is the best way to do it imo, that's how they went in at the factory..look up my ve retirement thread, it should have some pictures of the engine coming out the bottom in one piece..
Great just checked them, Thank you greeny.

i want to avoid using my engine crane cause it was a pita pulling my 302 a few years back and that had far less around it to get in the way.

thanks again
Old 03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the thing about taking it out the bottom is that you have to have the right equipment to do so. I have a hoist and a crappy car jack. Greeny has a fantastic car jack, and no hoist. So i always remove the tranny and pull the engine out the top. Works fine every time. On my brother's Camry i even installed the engine and trans from the top, as one unit. The only real pain when removing it from the top is getting the bolt from the top of the rear motor mount, but aside from that, it's cake.

I've never tried out the bottom, but if I did, i'd still use a hoist... Drop the crossmember onto ground w/ drivetrain still on it, then once it's safely on the ground, i would proceed to lift the car up off it with the hoist (cuz i don't have a high lift jack).
Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
STFU n00b!

I've done it both ways. It's a PITA in either direction. moreso of a PITA of you go out the bottom since you have to be able to roll the engine out from under the car on a dolly or something once you get it out. I personally found it easier to just do it from the top.

You also have to remove all but the bellhousing bolts to get the enging out anyway... you're not far from having the tranny out as well- just the bellhousing bolts at this point.. you might find it works better to go ahead and take the extra 20 minutes to dismount the tranny and set it aside. makes the assembly 100+lb lighter and smaller to move around..
Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I've done it both ways. It's a PITA in either direction. moreso of a PITA of you go out the bottom since you have to be able to roll the engine out from under the car on a dolly or something once you get it out. I personally found it easier to just do it from the top.

VG powah!!

You also have to remove all but the bellhousing bolts to get the enging out anyway... you're not far from having the tranny out as well- just the bellhousing bolts at this point.. you might find it works better to go ahead and take the extra 20 minutes to dismount the tranny and set it aside. makes the assembly 100+lb lighter and smaller to move around..
+1

I also recommend removing the trans regardless of which end the engine comes out..
Old 03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
VG powah!!

+1

I also recommend removing the trans regardless of which end the engine comes out..
yea, me too. I just didn't do that on the toyota, cuz i was unfamiliar with it, and it had a true subframe underneath, which made it difficult to install the tranny from underneath without unhooking a bunch of other crap like the swaybars and steering rack from it.