3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

2 Electrical Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:45 PM

2 Electrical Questions

Im really having 3 electrical problems:

#1. Fm Diversity Stereo System - Display is out, radio plays and tunes, etc. sound from front speaker, none from back - clarion speakers and amp?

My question in theory is im lookin to buy same year model car that is basically a parts car. If it has the same system in the parts car that is working would it work in my car if i just swap out the head units, amps, speakers?

#2. Only the back passenger window will roll up and down, sometimes. The other 3 windows have been glued shut by the previous owner. Sometimes I can hear the motor running in either the drivers door or the front passenger door and sometimes they will click when I press the switch on the other 3 windows. I have unglued all three windows but they will not roll up with the switch so I reglued them closed. At times I hear the motors on the front windows running but its not consistent. The rear passenger window's switch will click when i press it but no motor sound. Sometime rear drivers side window will go up and down on its own and sometimes with the drivers switch and then sometimes it has no power at all.

My question is would you suggest I replace the drivers switch and the motor and regulator in all four windows?

Could I just switch out the doors with a wrecked car onto mine if the wrecked car windows worked?

ALSO - Somebody said they had a fix for the plastic part for the regulator that fails. Does anybody remember what that fix was.....

#3 The Coolant/ Guage on the dash doesnt work. The previous owner said the car had a water pump replaced and the guage didnt work after this. Do I need to replace the whole guage in the dash??

Last edited by fotoman; 05-16-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by fotoman
Im really having 3 electrical problems:

#1. Fm Diversity Stereo System - Display is out, radio plays and tunes, etc. sound from front speaker, none from back - clarion speakers and amp?

My question in theory is im lookin to buy same year model car that is basically a parts car. If it has the same system in the parts car that is working would it work in my car if i just swap out the head units, amps, speakers?

#2. Only the back passenger window will roll up and down, sometimes. The other 3 windows have been glued shut by the previous owner. Sometimes I can hear the motor running in either the drivers door or the front passenger door and sometimes they will click when I press the switch on the other 3 windows. I have unglued all three windows but they will not roll up with the switch so I reglued them closed. At times I hear the motors on the front windows running but its not consistent. The rear passenger window's switch will click when i press it but no motor sound. Sometime rear drivers side window will go up and down on its own and sometimes with the drivers switch and then sometimes it has no power at all.

My question is would you suggest I replace the drivers switch and the motor and regulator in all four windows?

Could I just switch out the doors with a wrecked car onto mine if the wrecked car windows worked?

ALSO - Somebody said they had a fix for the plastic part for the regulator that fails. Does anybody remember what that fix was.....

#3 The Coolant/ Guage on the dash doesnt work. The previous owner said the car had a water pump replaced and the guage didnt work after this. Do I need to replace the whole guage in the dash??
Sounds like just the head unit and connections, but while you're at it, it wouldnt hurt to replace the works if its in better shape than your current gear.

That will be just the motors. Replacing the motors will do the job, but it might be quicker to transplant the whole door, assuming they definately work and painted the same color.
EDIT: If they were locked shut - replace the works. I learnt the hard way, finding out mine were locked for TWO reasons not one, and a 30 min motor replacement job turned into a stressfull 2 hour job replacing everything, scratched glass and re-alligning the rails.

Unlikely to be the gauge, make sure the sensors are actually connected and working properly, otherwise replacing that specific module in your cluster is fairly straight fowards, but time consuming.
Maybe the sensors are gone, another thing to replace with the parts car.

Pick up the parts car and get to work.
You can do all that within a day, half a day if you've worked around those problems before, but a day tops if you're still fairly new.

Last edited by Niccos89; 05-17-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 AM

#3 The gauge is a tech induced problem. Either they busted a wire and didn't repair, or they simply forgot to reattach a connector. If it's consistent with it not working after a replacement of the water pump. When I had mine replaced, my guy called me up wondering if my gauge had worked before or not... since it did, he was responsible for finding the electrical fault that was induced.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Well now the search for a car to use as a parts car begins... any suggestions????
Old 05-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Local wreckers
Cragslist or whatever it is you lot have over there
occasionally here on the forums a complete 3rd gen comes up as a parts out vehicle, if you get in quick, you could get a whole (or close to whole) pretty cheap.