3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Easy Mirror Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by marke
^^^nice work! How long ago did u do that? What kind of paint? Is starting to flake off? I might try that again.

I'm wanting to transform my GXE to a sporty sedan, so chrome doesn't fit that. Just my humble opinion.
Originally Posted by kringle03
What are you referring to as the 'grill mod'? The switch from the chrome to the painted? Just curious

What primer and paint was used for the trim? How has the paint been holding up?
For the side that is shown I think i used the "color place" primer but upgraded to the "dupli-color" for the other side. both work fine... Here is tha problem with the blacks..."krylon" flat black and "color place" primer is whats shown in the picture. on the other side i use the "dupli-color" primer and the "color-place" flat black AND IT SUCKS it looks dry!!!DO NOT USE COLOR PLACE... any other questions just ask...

Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 PM

what grit sandpaper did u use? and how many coats of the black did u use?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 PM

what grit sandpaper did u use? and how many coats of the black did u use?
Thats a good question im not sure that grit it was I do know it was green in color with a yellow back and i used a sanding block also and just make sure u cover everthing with tha primer. and do a light coat of black first let dry then go back in with about 2 more coats if u do one thick coat its going to come off and for the other people take mirror off before u paint them i didnt and i messed up the first time had a few dips on it.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
For the side that is shown I think i used the "color place" primer but upgraded to the "dupli-color" for the other side. both work fine... Here is tha problem with the blacks..."krylon" flat black and "color place" primer is whats shown in the picture. on the other side i use the "dupli-color" primer and the "color-place" flat black AND IT SUCKS it looks dry!!!DO NOT USE COLOR PLACE... any other questions just ask...

So... use the Dupli-color primer and the Krylon flat black for best results? Just wanna make sure... you've got Color-Place listed as both primer and flat black but not specifying which not to use...
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by kringle03
So... use the Dupli-color primer and the Krylon flat black for best results? Just wanna make sure... you've got Color-Place listed as both primer and flat black but not specifying which not to use...
U can use any primer just make sure u USE KRYLON FLAT BLACK because the color place flat black sucks. but with the color place primer get about three good coats of it the Dupli color primer says it fulls in deep scratches & minor imperfections...
Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM

I'm a noob at painting I guess, but do u sand the primer between coats?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:13 PM

I'm a noob at painting I guess, but do u sand the primer between coats?
IM NO PRO myself but this is something simple that can be done with a little time...but i dont see why u should sand the primer...i didnt...
Old 08-15-2009, 05:58 PM

it depends on what type of primer you use if you should sand or not....IMO working in a body shop everyday you shoudl always atleast scuff the primer before applying paint just to make sure you have proper adhesion...The best primer of course comes out of a paint gun but if you have to use spray can primer then apply in light coats and scuff only after primer is fully dry right before applying paint...
Old 08-16-2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
it depends on what type of primer you use if you should sand or not....IMO working in a body shop everyday you shoudl always atleast scuff the primer before applying paint just to make sure you have proper adhesion...The best primer of course comes out of a paint gun but if you have to use spray can primer then apply in light coats and scuff only after primer is fully dry right before applying paint...

Sounds good to me...thanks for the correction.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i wish my maxima was white, but its black. smh.. if i had a white maxima ill make it a panda. black roof, black mirrors, black side molding, black door handles, sideskirts, bottom bumpers, and black 17" wheels with a nice drop. pls feel free to use these ideas

Last edited by UnknownRacer; 11-02-2009 at 01:19 AM.