3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cold start problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 10:17 PM
saskmaxima

Cold start problem.

Hi. I just had the broken manifold bolts fixed along with a new timing belt and water pump on my 91 Maxima. When I started it this morning it wasn't idling as smooth as before the repairs. It was about 12 degrees F and was sat outside overnight. After letting it warm up for about 2 or 3 minutes I started driving but it had no power (seemed to be running on about 5 out of 6 cyls) and sounded like the engine had bit of a knock to it. I drove it for about two blocks and pulled over to let it warm up a bit more and then all was well. It seems to sort itself out once its warm, but it didn't do this before the repair. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

Old 11-29-2001, 10:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First, check under the hood to make sure all the wires and vacuum hoses are in place and nothing looks like it's missing or hanging in the breeze. Also make sure the ones that look okay are tight.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:13 AM

Re: Cold start problem.

Originally posted by saskmaxima
Hi. I just had the broken manifold bolts fixed along with a new timing belt and water pump on my 91 Maxima. When I started it this morning it wasn't idling as smooth as before the repairs. It was about 12 degrees F and was sat outside overnight. After letting it warm up for about 2 or 3 minutes I started driving but it had no power (seemed to be running on about 5 out of 6 cyls) and sounded like the engine had bit of a knock to it. I drove it for about two blocks and pulled over to let it warm up a bit more and then all was well. It seems to sort itself out once its warm, but it didn't do this before the repair. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

I'm going thru the same type of problem with my 90se. I had it taken in for a bad fuel injector, water pump & timing belt. It seems to be the cold start issue. The knocking can become real bad if it's kinda cold and I'm at constant red lights, but after 2 blocks the problem is gone. I took it back to the mechanic and he said nothing is wrong as far as loose wires, tubes...He asked for me to leave it overnight, but I haven't been able to do that yet. I think I sometimes smell gas from under the hood. I could be just paranoid though. I'm curious to read the responses.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:47 PM
saskmaxima

Re: Re: Cold start problem.

Originally posted by lateralus

I'm going thru the same type of problem with my 90se. I had it taken in for a bad fuel injector, water pump & timing belt. It seems to be the cold start issue. The knocking can become real bad if it's kinda cold and I'm at constant red lights, but after 2 blocks the problem is gone. I took it back to the mechanic and he said nothing is wrong as far as loose wires, tubes...He asked for me to leave it overnight, but I haven't been able to do that yet. I think I sometimes smell gas from under the hood. I could be just paranoid though. I'm curious to read the responses.
It had two injectors replaced already but I'm starting to think another one might be on its way out.