3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Car audio experts/opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM

Car audio experts/opinion?

im looking to buy an amp. mt friend gave me 2 alpine TYPE S 10 inch subs in ported enclosure.

will this amp power it? and is it any good/better than jL?

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...9;&menuLevel=1

thanks guys
Old 10-14-2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by sams
im looking to buy an amp. mt friend gave me 2 alpine TYPE S 10 inch subs in ported enclosure.

will this amp power it? and is it any good/better than jL?

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...9;&menuLevel=1

thanks guys
not a pro at this but yeah from what ive seen and heard around the way is that Class D mono block amps are good to go...ive heard that they are the best to go with. however i work at a walmart and this is they amp we just got in a few week ago

I have two sony 1100watt 12"subs bouble ported box with a 500/550 watt amp bridged together...and i turn heads daily... im lookin to get a 1200w AMP and using the amp i have now for my tweeters... the both hold 500w each... and in the back i have to Ecplise 6x9 the play real clear... and i have to stock bose speakers inthe front havent had time to upgrade...

To help u out with ur question i would say yeah thats gonna get u a pretty good sound...
Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM

I run two Alpine Type S 10's in my trunk. powered by a 400 watt amp. mine is a 2 channel though. but yes, that 1 channel 800 watt amp will definitely have enough power for your two tens. Assuming that you are installing a new H/U, make sure to get one w/ 4V preouts. makes everything sound better. also make sure to wire the H/U to your acc wire, (if you bought a wire splice/adapter kit that just plugs in just connect all the wires like you normally would) the acc wire i blue IIRC. otherwise your H/U and amp will stay on with the faceplate on, even when the car is off. which will drain your batt.
Oh and as far as if the amp is better than a JL, i really couldn't tell you. But you definitely won't be disappointed with that one.
have fun!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:47 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
not a pro at this but yeah from what ive seen and heard around the way is that Class D mono block amps are good to go...ive heard that they are the best to go with. however i work at a walmart and this is they amp we just got in a few week ago

I have two sony 1100watt 12"subs bouble ported box with a 500/550 watt amp bridged together...and i turn heads daily... im lookin to get a 1200w AMP and using the amp i have now for my tweeters... the both hold 500w each... and in the back i have to Ecplise 6x9 the play real clear... and i have to stock bose speakers inthe front havent had time to upgrade...

To help u out with ur question i would say yeah thats gonna get u a pretty good sound...
Umm wtf? that's completely assbackwards. don't to ANYTHING to your tweeters- especially putting a 500w amp on them. that's effing stupid, even if you do live in the ghetto. dump the Bose front speakers and put some good 6.5" in there with a decent amp and crossover.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 PM
STFU n00b!

To answer the original question.. Yes that Pioneer amp will power those subs. No it is not better than a JL amp.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
To answer the original question.. Yes that Pioneer amp will power those subs. No it is not better than a JL amp.
Listen to Matt, he knows best.
I run 6.5 (or 6x4 can't member right now. factory size anyway) Kenwood excelon's in the front and they are a good upgrade from stock for sure. the trim on our cars is nice and simple to take on/off to get at speakers/wires. so basically what i'm saying is if you want to replace/upgrade the stock speakers in your car, replace with factory size but just w/ a reputable brand. and it will sound nice!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 PM

thats a decent amp, not the best but its a good one
Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 PM

thank you for all the input..

but its mono and only for subs.......... forget the car speakers i have dealt with them.

and yes thanks guys. i run a new pioneer premier deck with 4v outs.

and it says 400w rms. the whole 800w thing seems to be a scam. i heard rms is all that matters.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Umm wtf? that's completely assbackwards. don't to ANYTHING to your tweeters- especially putting a 500w amp on them. that's effing stupid, even if you do live in the ghetto. dump the Bose front speakers and put some good 6.5" in there with a decent amp and crossover.
lol i knew it would be somebody to talk ish. I dont live in a ghetto from from it. anyways tha amp i have now is a piece of crap and my tweeter are hook up to it now so yeah they can handle it. Now i wouldn't do something stupid like put a speaker in the grill of the car im african american but thats just stupid to me haha and i have them hooked up to the regular speaker wires and they didnt play well so yeah ill put them on that amp and just turn the amp down not gonna hurt anything for now cause i dont have a crossover and i did have to pay for my speaker got them from my brother for free.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Garf
Listen to Matt, he knows best.
I run 6.5 (or 6x4 can't member right now. factory size anyway) Kenwood excelon's in the front and they are a good upgrade from stock for sure. the trim on our cars is nice and simple to take on/off to get at speakers/wires. so basically what i'm saying is if you want to replace/upgrade the stock speakers in your car, replace with factory size but just w/ a reputable brand. and it will sound nice!
Got cha but like I said before I even said anything else "IM NOT A PRO" it was just an input on what i've came across...
Old 10-15-2009, 12:04 AM

I standby my MRP-M1000 from alpine, 1000 watts RMS. It dosent Overheat
Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Got cha but like I said before I even said anything else "IM NOT A PRO" it was just an input on what i've came across...

lol reading the replies on this thread is funny...but yeah your total constant rms from your subs is the main thing you want to look at and the constant rms from the amp also...always power your sounds to their constant rms power range never over do it or push it to their max wattage...will cause distortion and end up frying the voice coils...go with amps that are if im correct CEA certified which means they were actually tested for the wattage that the manufacturer says they have cause some manufacturers will say 2500 watts peak and 1200rms but actually be only half that...you'll end up paying more for reputable brands but end up with less hassle when it comes to malfunctions, overheating and frying lol...good luck with the sounds tho
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sams
thank you for all the input..

but its mono and only for subs.......... forget the car speakers i have dealt with them.

and yes thanks guys. i run a new pioneer premier deck with 4v outs.

and it says 400w rms. the whole 800w thing seems to be a scam. i heard rms is all that matters.
hmm its not a scam....that 800W is the peak rating which a device can handle for a very short period of time and that 400W RMS is the continues rating which a device can handle without any damage till u r using it....so yes RMS is all that matters and u should be looking for RMS rating....
Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 AM

What ohm are the Alpine's? Are they dual voice coil? That Pioneer amp is 250rms @ 4 ohm and 400rms @ 2 ohm. Since it's a one channel amp and your going to run both subs these are questions that need answers.

JL is much better than Pioneer. No comparison besides price.