3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Who has JWT in their Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009 | 07:17 AM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by -ReLLiK-
So you are saying that the JWT is better than NIStune as far as accessibility to tuning?
Other way around, you can tune your nistune ECU on the fly with a laptop.

While my personal JWT ECU (I got this before nistune was making ECUs for our cars, we have Jeremy (maxmaxima91) to thank for that)for my tubo setup (370cc, z32 MAF) drove just like stock but it lacked power (low ignition timing under boost). I could have sent it back to JWT for a more aggressive tune at $100. However it would still just be a generic tune from a shop across the country who doesn't have the ability or time to tune for my specific setup. Either way you have an ECU just like stock, there is no changes you can make to it.

Nistune replaces the main chip with one that can be tuned on the fly, unlike the JWT which requires removal and special hardware to tune. (not to mention $100, shipping, weeks of waiting and downtime) For our type 1s the chip is fitting with a USB cable which attaches to your laptop. Nistune comes with a base tune for your specific car and ECU (stock). The software is easy to download on their website, and they update it frequently. You can then change literally any parameter in the ECU without even restarting the car making the car very easy to tune for your specific mods and setup.

The bonus of the USB is two way communication, so the Nistune software allows you to monitor every single engine sensor in real time, as well as log it too. You can even monitor the sensors voltage output so you dont have to bother with ohming anything, and you can adjust sensors they need it so you know they are not only in spec, but the ECU is reading them correctly. You can even forget reading flashing engine codes from the passenger side in the car and then looking up the code, the software will tell you in plain english the exact malfunction.
These days, this easy of changes are important for even simple mods. You can load as many different maps or programs, and change them as often as you wish on the fly. You can program a map for best gas mileage and switch for full power when you want to get on it, limit power/rpms for lending it to friends/valet or a map that will pass emissions when it otherwise wouldn't. You can save millions of tunes if you want, change them up whenever you want and even share them with your other maxima buddies (come on guys lets see how a group effort could really unleash some power out of the stock ECU, even beyond a JWT!)

I could go on and on, but for about $300 its a freaking steal since it basically turns your ECU into a full stand alone. I spent $600 for my JWT and I wouldnt have spent double that if Nistune was available. At $300 it will basically pay for itself in gas savings, repairs, and power/maximizing mods. Not to mention, while watching the way the ECU works and seeing the effects of your changes will teach you a ton of REAL knowledge
I would seriously advice anyone serious about tweeking their car and planning on taking to the next level check out nistune. Stock, cams, intakes, exhausts, headers, turbo, nos, 3.3 swap, gas savings, you can easily change it for anything. http://www.nistune.com/
Old 12-17-2009 | 09:03 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Maxpwer: $300? was it strait from NIStune? I was looking on their site, they want $420 (aud) for type 1, and $440 (aud) for type 3.
Which would you recommend?
Old 12-17-2009 | 10:08 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
Maxpwer: $300? was it strait from NIStune? I was looking on their site, they want $420 (aud) for type 1, and $440 (aud) for type 3.
type 1 is the kind for our cars. other types correspond to other cars (like 32-bit vs 16-bit, etc)

and the USD is stronger than the AUD so 420->300 is about right i guess.
Old 12-17-2009 | 10:43 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
type 1 is the kind for our cars. other types correspond to other cars (like 32-bit vs 16-bit, etc)

and the USD is stronger than the AUD so 420->300 is about right i guess.
hmm... that musta been the "rock" typing, again (lol)
I used google to find the exchange rate, said it was closer to $400. of course, depending on what day it is, those sites may not be that accurate.
Old 12-17-2009 | 11:30 AM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by BenStoked
The VG ecu is 8bit and must use the Type 1 board, whereas the VE is a 16bit ECU and must use the Type 3 board. Yes I got mine directly from Nistune but they must have changed their prices. I got mine a while back and I believe the total was $330 USD including the fastest (most expensive shipping).and it looks likes its closer to $400 USD for the same. Its a little more but still well worth the price. If it worked on the 4th+ gens you would never see them messing with an e-manage.
Old 12-18-2009 | 07:58 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Maxpwer

While my personal JWT ECU (I got this before nistune was making ECUs for our cars, we have Jeremy (maxmaxima91) to thank for that)for my tubo setup (370cc, z32 MAF) drove just like stock but it lacked power (low ignition timing under boost). I could have sent it back to JWT for a more aggressive tune at $100. However it would still just be a generic tune from a shop across the country who doesn't have the ability or time to tune for my specific setup. Either way you have an ECU just like stock, there is no changes you can make to it.

Nistune replaces the main chip with one that can be tuned on the fly, unlike the JWT which requires removal and special hardware to tune. (not to mention $100, shipping, weeks of waiting and downtime) For our type 1s the chip is fitting with a USB cable which attaches to your laptop. Nistune comes with a base tune for your specific car and ECU (stock). The software is easy to download on their website, and they update it frequently. You can then change literally any parameter in the ECU without even restarting the car making the car very easy to tune for your specific mods and setup.

The bonus of the USB is two way communication, so the Nistune software allows you to monitor every single engine sensor in real time, as well as log it too. You can even monitor the sensors voltage output so you dont have to bother with ohming anything, and you can adjust sensors they need it so you know they are not only in spec, but the ECU is reading them correctly. You can even forget reading flashing engine codes from the passenger side in the car and then looking up the code, the software will tell you in plain english the exact malfunction.
These days, this easy of changes are important for even simple mods. You can load as many different maps or programs, and change them as often as you wish on the fly. You can program a map for best gas mileage and switch for full power when you want to get on it, limit power/rpms for lending it to friends/valet or a map that will pass emissions when it otherwise wouldn't. You can save millions of tunes if you want, change them up whenever you want and even share them with your other maxima buddies (come on guys lets see how a group effort could really unleash some power out of the stock ECU, even beyond a JWT!)

I could go on and on, but for about $300 its a freaking steal since it basically turns your ECU into a full stand alone. I spent $600 for my JWT and I wouldnt have spent double that if Nistune was available. At $300 it will basically pay for itself in gas savings, repairs, and power/maximizing mods. Not to mention, while watching the way the ECU works and seeing the effects of your changes will teach you a ton of REAL knowledge
I would seriously advice anyone serious about tweeking their car and planning on taking to the next level check out nistune. Stock, cams, intakes, exhausts, headers, turbo, nos, 3.3 swap, gas savings, you can easily change it for anything. http://www.nistune.com/
definitely agree with the above.
Old 12-18-2009 | 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn after reading this thread I have to go with nistune I own a S14 currently in the build stage and a 92 ve with a JW ECU I'm happy with it for the maxima cause I don't want to go futher with it but for my 95 240sx I'm going to boost it of course,lol.Sorry didn't mean to get off topic just wanted to share how my opinion was swayed to nistune as my choice as a S14 tune thank you org. members.

Last edited by maximusve92; 12-18-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2009 | 03:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maximusve92
Damn after reading this thread I have to go with nistune I own a S14 currently in the build stage and a 92 ve with a JW ECU I'm happy with it for the maxima cause I don't want to go futher with it but for my 95 240sx I'm going to boost it of course,lol.Sorry didn't mean to get off topic just wanted to share how my opinion was swayed to nistune as my choice as a S14 tune thank you org. members.
yea but Nistune is cheaper than the JW too isn't it?
Old 12-18-2009 | 03:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nistune should give maxpwr a free unit for that endorsement. Nice write up.
Old 12-18-2009 | 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer

Holy crap. Now THIS is the info i was looking for. (Haha I guess I ask good questions )

If I can find a VE i definitely will be looking into NIStune
Old 12-18-2009 | 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by -ReLLiK-
The posting has expired now ...
So you are saying that the JWT is better than NIStune as far as accessibility to tuning?
Not if the owner is someone that is has knowledge/exp in engine tuning or can pay someone that knows what they are doing. I know that I'd leave my tuning to someone else that has actually done it right. There is no doubt that a custom tune will be better than what jwt can do off shelf. However for most people here that only have intake, exhaust, udp the tune should be close. Now consider how much is the nistune + wideband + dyno tuning vs jwt ecu. For the people that boost their motors a custom tune would be better for power as a jwt tune would give you stock like driveability.

However given all the features of nistune, it would be nice to have for someone that does want to tune themselves and have the ability to do it without blowing their motor up.
Old 12-19-2009 | 01:12 AM

The only reason I was skeptical about 5 months ago about Nistune was that I had no previous experience at tuning ECUs and wasn't so hot about testing on my year long project. Especially after talking to Hadman and getting his advice on which I should get considering the facts I just stated. He recommended the JWT. Although the reason I was all about the Nistune was because of all the previous reasons stated. Just didn't want to take a car that was alright and within the push of one key cause thousands of dollars in damage. But if you say its possible to watch how it works and slowly make my own changes from there then I'm down.
Old 12-19-2009 | 10:21 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maximo018
The only reason I was skeptical about 5 months ago about Nistune was that I had no previous experience at tuning ECUs and wasn't so hot about testing on my year long project. Especially after talking to Hadman and getting his advice on which I should get considering the facts I just stated. He recommended the JWT. Although the reason I was all about the Nistune was because of all the previous reasons stated. Just didn't want to take a car that was alright and within the push of one key cause thousands of dollars in damage. But if you say its possible to watch how it works and slowly make my own changes from there then I'm down.
well that's also why you make small changes... don't change a 1 to a 100, if you know what i mean. but then once you have your a/f ratios looking good throughout the rev-range and throttle position range then you can start working on the ignition timing. you don't have to completely do the whole 'tune' in one shot. like he said, you can adjust it as many times as you need to which means you can do it in chunks while leaving the rest stock until work your way through it all.
Old 12-21-2009 | 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
well that's also why you make small changes... don't change a 1 to a 100, if you know what i mean. but then once you have your a/f ratios looking good throughout the rev-range and throttle position range then you can start working on the ignition timing. you don't have to completely do the whole 'tune' in one shot. like he said, you can adjust it as many times as you need to which means you can do it in chunks while leaving the rest stock until work your way through it all.
Great way to put it Cape. Wish I would have got this advice months ago. Then again I was further from the end and it wasn't at the top of my priority list then.
Old 12-26-2009 | 05:20 PM

looks like i'm going with Nistune for my 3rd gen now, i bought a notebook laptop specifically for it. You just download the Nistune software right, no CD?

and idiot question can i use Nistune before i 5spd swap/turbo then change the settings afterwards?