3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Who has JWT in their Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009 | 11:01 AM

Who has JWT in their Maxima?

Ive searched, and seen that all of the threads regarding the JWT ECUs in our 3rd gens were REALLY old. Anyone have one in their VG/VE now? Any differences? Power gains? etc. Im really leaning toward getting a VE and building it N/A.

Or any of their products for that matter?

Last edited by -ReLLiK-; 12-05-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2009 | 11:07 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I have one that's going in my blue VE if I can ever get the base timing set accurately

I've run it in my DD VE a few times just for fun and it makes quite a noticeable difference
Old 12-05-2009 | 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
I have one that's going in my blue VE if I can ever get the base timing set accurately

I've run it in my DD VE a few times just for fun and it makes quite a noticeable difference
Nice. I just figured since no one really talks about them anymore they were outdated er something. Your DD was NA, correct? You how much HP/TQ you gained? What felt different? Low-End? Mid-Range? Top-End?

Another question. Stillen has JWT ECUs on sale but all it says is 89 Maxima SOHC. Does that mean only that year is on sale? Or Engine?
Old 12-05-2009 | 01:04 PM

i'm getting one pretty quick to start getting everything to go turbo, ive heard alot of good stuff about JWT and JoeBoost uses alot of JWT stuff on his 3rd gen

i would imagine theyre all on sale
Old 12-05-2009 | 01:09 PM

Well, they ARE "outdated" in the sense they're not adjustable on the fly. I mean, with NIStune and the like out there it is outdated in that sense. Nobody really talks about them because they've been so expensive for so long, and since the 3rd gen. community is rapidly dying out nobody really cares to spend that much money on these cars.

I mean, personally, I only got one because I got a killer deal on it from Stillen. Not sure on the 89 SOHC thing. You could go to Jim Wolf's website and match part numbers to be certain. BTW, Stillen doesn't have any VE ones listed because I got the last one

*edit* also, my observations were on the butt-dyno, and yes it's N/A. I seemed to mainly feel a power increase in the mid-high range. Plus, with the bumped rev-limiter it'll rev all the way to 7k+ (of course not necessarily making power there)

Last edited by James92SE; 12-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2009 | 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
i'm getting one pretty quick to start getting everything to go turbo, ive heard alot of good stuff about JWT and JoeBoost uses alot of JWT stuff on his 3rd gen

i would imagine theyre all on sale
Yea. I would go turbo. But being a college student. And by the car being so damn complicated to turbo, I honestly dont even want to deal with that. Wish someone made cams for the VE.
Old 12-05-2009 | 01:15 PM

Well, they ARE "outdated" in the sense they're not adjustable on the fly. I mean, with NIStune and the like out there it is outdated in that sense. Nobody really talks about them because they've been so expensive for so long, and since the 3rd gen. community is rapidly dying out nobody really cares to spend that much money on these cars.

I mean, personally, I only got one because I got a killer deal on it from Stillen. Not sure on the 89 SOHC thing. You could go to Jim Wolf's website and match part numbers to be certain. BTW, Stillen doesn't have any VE ones listed because I got the last one

*edit* also, my observations were on the butt-dyno, and yes it's N/A. I seemed to mainly feel a power increase in the mid-high range. Plus, with the bumped rev-limiter it'll rev all the way to 7k+ (of course not necessarily making power there)
So how much does NIStune run? And yea Im trying really hard to stay in the 3rd Gen community, but these car can be so complicated to do anything to its ridiculous.

Are you saying you got the last one EVER for a VE?

You know exactly how much of a power increase you get?
Old 12-05-2009 | 01:29 PM

No, I'm saying I got the last one Stillen had in stock. Keep in mind, Stillen would buy them from Jim Wolf, then turned around and re-sell them.

As these cars aged, they probably sold less and less of them, but they still had these ECU's sitting around their warehouse. So when the stock got down really low, they had a "blowout" on them because they realized they were likely to never sell at full price again. You can surely still get them from JWT (probably would have to send in your own ECU)

I have no clue how much power increase it gives. I'd say probably 7-10 hp? I'd highly doubt they make 15-20 hp that they've claimed over the years, but I have no clue, really. I'll dyno my blue VE one of these days when I get it all sorted out. My other VE with all the bolt-ons except the NWP spacers and ECU did 180hp and 185 lbs of tq., so I'd hope this one would do more than that, but I won't know until I dyno it some day
Old 12-05-2009 | 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by -ReLLiK-
Yea. I would go turbo. But being a college student. And by the car being so damn complicated to turbo, I honestly dont even want to deal with that. Wish someone made cams for the VE.
easiest in a VG30E is to use the Z31 turbo (what i'm doing), since the Z31 turbo used the VG30ET (old school VG30E 2nd gen Maxima's have). you can just take the turbo and put it in a 3rd gens VG30E which apparently doesnt take a whole lot of trouble, or just take the whole VG30ET from a Z31 and drop it in which i was considering but i want to keep my original VG30E. Z31 turbo never came with a intercooler, so you can run the turbo without a intercooler but a intercooler will make it far more efficient.

if youve got a auto now like me, it would be a good idea to 5spd swap before you go turbo (what ive gotta do)
Old 12-05-2009 | 01:39 PM

No, I'm saying I got the last one Stillen had in stock. Keep in mind, Stillen would buy them from Jim Wolf, then turned around and re-sell them.

As these cars aged, they probably sold less and less of them, but they still had these ECU's sitting around their warehouse. So when the stock got down really low, they had a "blowout" on them because they realized they were likely to never sell at full price again. You can surely still get them from JWT (probably would have to send in your own ECU)

I have no clue how much power increase it gives. I'd say probably 7-10 hp? I'd highly doubt they make 15-20 hp that they've claimed over the years, but I have no clue, really. I'll dyno my blue VE one of these days when I get it all sorted out. My other VE with all the bolt-ons except the NWP spacers and ECU did 180hp and 185 lbs of tq., so I'd hope this one would do more than that, but I won't know until I dyno it some day
Ohh ok I was about to fall into depression if you got the LAST last one lol

Oh ok. hmm thats ok i guess. Not worth $595 though. For $497 I can get a stage 4 supercharger kit upgrade and Cam upgrade for this 91 VW Corrado G60. 225HP... Im just not ready to leave Nissan yet!
Old 12-05-2009 | 01:44 PM

easiest in a VG30E is to use the Z31 turbo (what i'm doing), since the Z31 turbo used the VG30ET (old school VG30E 2nd gen Maxima's have). you can just take the turbo and put it in a 3rd gens VG30E which apparently doesnt take a whole lot of trouble, or just take the whole VG30ET from a Z31 and drop it in which i was considering but i want to keep my original VG30E. Z31 turbo never came with a intercooler, so you can run the turbo without a intercooler but a intercooler will make it far more efficient.

if youve got a auto now like me, it would be a good idea to 5spd swap before you go turbo (what ive gotta do)
True it is easier to turbo a VG than a VE. But at the end of the day thats still 2k+ that could go to something guarenteed to scream. And its not exactly "bolt-on" either lol. Far from it actually.

And yes I have an autotragic. But i figured I just find a 5-spd Max and sell this one.

Example: http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/1457355274.html
Old 12-05-2009 | 02:36 PM
Banned

If you all read enough posts you also read that jim wolf does report to the government or so is said what modifications are done as you have to give him a list of all your modifications and numbers and what not for him to tune a ECU for you. And yes you have to send him your ECU so he can mod it. and I think if your gonna invest money into your 3rd gen and your gonna boost it spend the extra cash and go with a stand alone unit. Like AEM or Greddy. You all bought into these cars so dont get skimpy on your money if you are wanting to modify them. Spend the cash and do the job right. you think tuning a 300zx or a Toyota Supra is cheap for those people? No it is not cheap buy far but you get what you pay for so if you pay not alot for parts because you think cheap will work ok then you got what you paid for. As for modding these cars they are only as hard to mod as you make it. But again if your not mechanically inclined then I recommend dont try doing more in depth tuning because you will more then likely damage more then fix more. Dont bother trying to flame me either danny or others who like to flame when someone posts on threads as you already know i rarely anymore post on here because of the fact of how people on here act. As for all those who have the putting problem. You all have looked at every area that is a problem except for one I know of because I have had the putting problem and figured out what my putting problem was if spark and fuel is good it more then likely isnt mechanical but electrical. But thats just an automotive techs opinion since no one takes me serious. Have fun and peace.

Last edited by elusivemax93; 12-05-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2009 | 02:41 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

edit: did I miss something, or dod you just simply go on a rant? not saying it you are incorrect, but it is almost without precedent.

anyway, back to original post:

True it is easier to turbo a VG than a VE. But at the end of the day thats still 2k+ that could go to something guarenteed to scream. And its not exactly "bolt-on" either lol. Far from it actually.

And yes I have an autotragic. But i figured I just find a 5-spd Max and sell this one.

Example: http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/1457355274.html
dude, go buy it. nobody will hate you for ditching your vg for a ve.

but if you just bought it for parts, the trans swap would make that car worth it.
next time you post, you bester have that car, even if it takes getting arrested for being a hooker to raise the funds ( I kid, of course... but not really.

)

Last edited by BenStoked; 12-05-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2009 | 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
If you all read enough posts you also read that jim wolf does report to the government or so is said what modifications are done as you have to give him a list of all your modifications and numbers and what not for him to tune a ECU for you. And yes you have to send him your ECU so he can mod it. and I think if your gonna invest money into your 3rd gen and your gonna boost it spend the extra cash and go with a stand alone unit. Like AEM or Greddy. You all bought into these cars so dont get skimpy on your money if you are wanting to modify them. Spend the cash and do the job right. you think tuning a 300zx or a Toyota Supra is cheap for those people? No it is not cheap buy far but you get what you pay for so if you pay not alot for parts because you think cheap will work ok then you got what you paid for. As for modding these cars they are only as hard to mod as you make it. But again if your not mechanically inclined then I recommend dont try doing more in depth tuning because you will more then likely damage more then fix more. Dont bother trying to flame me either danny or others who like to flame when someone posts on threads as you already know i rarely anymore post on here because of the fact of how people on here act. As for all those who have the putting problem. You all have looked at every area that is a problem except for one I know of because I have had the putting problem and figured out what my putting problem was if spark and fuel is good it more then likely isnt mechanical but electrical. But thats just an automotive techs opinion since no one takes me serious. Have fun and peace.
we were all nicely talking about turbo's and ECU's, and then all the sudden this
Old 12-05-2009 | 04:45 PM

right on.

anyway, I think the reason the JWT ECU's aren't so popular/talked about anymore is just the fat that there are more standalone units avail. for pretty much any car. And they don't make as much of these things for our cars anymore.
Old 12-05-2009 | 04:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Nistune >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

/thread
Old 12-05-2009 | 04:47 PM

$600? Heck, man, go buy that thing. No need to debate it ahead of time, that price is worth it even if the engine was blown
Old 12-05-2009 | 07:55 PM
STFU n00b!

BRAD!!!!
Go buy that and fix your car!
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
BRAD!!!!
Ah, true
Old 12-06-2009 | 01:00 AM

Got one but will need to start engine, break-in with Oem Ecu and make measurements in accelerations to compare with the JWT Ecu.
Old 12-06-2009 | 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
edit: did I miss something, or dod you just simply go on a rant? not saying it you are incorrect, but it is almost without precedent.

anyway, back to original post:

dude, go buy it. nobody will hate you for ditching your vg for a ve.

but if you just bought it for parts, the trans swap would make that car worth it.
next time you post, you bester have that car, even if it takes getting arrested for being a hooker to raise the funds ( I kid, of course... but not really.

)
Lmao yea Im thinking about it. Im trying to sell my VG as I speak.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
Nistune >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

/thread
Cost? What exactly can you do with it? Is it an ECU?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
BRAD!!!!
Nope. Finders keepers :P lol

Originally Posted by CMax03
Got one but will need to start engine, break-in with Oem Ecu and make measurements in accelerations to compare with the JWT Ecu.
Ok well lemme know how it is
Old 12-06-2009 | 09:40 PM

But if all else fails. Ima go VDub.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik...disp=inline&zw
Old 12-06-2009 | 10:44 PM

Cost? What exactly can you do with it? Is it an ECU?
Its similar to the JWT except that its a real time tuning ecu with a wideband connection. You know if you want more info you should pm Hadman. If you don't have any experience with tuning engines you are more likely to screw up your car with this.
Old 12-06-2009 | 10:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

nistune is a daughterboarded stock ECU that lets you hook it up to your computer via USB cable, and comes with the NISTUNE software program to save/load/modify tunes, as well as watch everything in realtime. It's roughly equivalent to what Nissan used to program the ECU in the first place.

http://www.nistune.com/
Old 12-09-2009 | 11:09 PM

I guarantee it doesn't come with the same brains/and experience it took to tune the JWT.....
Old 12-10-2009 | 09:00 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I guarantee it doesn't come with the same brains/and experience it took to tune the JWT.....
which is why you find someone that already got theirs dialed in and just upload their tune to your ecu a good z31na tune would work just the same on a vg maxima.
Old 12-10-2009 | 10:05 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

true..but if you made a modification that means you have to send it back to JWT to get it reflashed everytime.

no two motors will run perfectly the same. with nistune you can tune your ecu to YOUR car and YOUR motor. not something off the shelf from JWT.

then if you want something different out of the box it takes JWT a while to get that programmed in.
Old 12-10-2009 | 10:07 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

nice rant...if you don't want to post here then why did you even post?
who's flaming? clearly you called me out and want to start the fire.

yeah and I'M the bad guy?
Old 12-10-2009 | 10:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ive searched, and seen that all of the threads regarding the JWT ECUs in our 3rd gens were REALLY old. Anyone have one in their VG/VE now? Any differences? Power gains? etc. Im really leaning toward getting a VE and building it N/A.

Or any of their products for that matter?
I have a JWT ECU and yes it does make a difference.

The ECU wasnt bought directly from JWT, rather it was in a car purchased from an org member several mnths ago specifically for the ECU. I had to retard the timing otherwise I had erratic idling problems. Also, the unit came from a Cali Spec 94VE5 and my car is a Fed Spec 93VE5.JWT's site has a different part number for each. The 94 has TWO EGR's and if I recall correctly there are some MINOR differences in the vaccuum hoses.

Both the 93 and 94 are modded with 85% of the bolts on available. The previous owner for the 94 said he's whipped TURBO Civics and has ran his car up to 150 and then slowed down.Sadly the 94 is a rust bucket and will eventually see the junkyard.

If you check the archives, most were pleased with the JWT and it's highly recommended.
Old 12-10-2009 | 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob
I have a JWT ECU and yes it does make a difference.

The ECU wasnt bought directly from JWT, rather it was in a car purchased from an org member several mnths ago specifically for the ECU. I had to retard the timing otherwise I had erratic idling problems. Also, the unit came from a Cali Spec 94VE5 and my car is a Fed Spec 93VE5.JWT's site has a different part number for each. The 94 has TWO EGR's and if I recall correctly there are some MINOR differences in the vaccuum hoses.

Both the 93 and 94 are modded with 85% of the bolts on available. The previous owner for the 94 said he's whipped TURBO Civics and has ran his car up to 150 and then slowed down.Sadly the 94 is a rust bucket and will eventually see the junkyard.

If you check the archives, most were pleased with the JWT and it's highly recommended.
So with all JWT ECUs, do you have to mess with the timing? Or was it just your car?

And yea i checked the archives, and read that everyone was happy. I just figured there may be some differences from then (like back in 02) to now.
Old 12-10-2009 | 01:43 PM

As someone that has had a jwt ecu for years I can say the tune is pretty good out the box. The trick is to find a used jwt ecu to get and the pop program should be good for anyone with bolt ons. However the tune will change if you change cams, headwork, maf, injectors, turbo. Now my experience is with sr20de, which has dynos proving the jwt ecu makes good power over stock ecu. Unless you go with bigger cams or custom IM/headers the standard tune should be close. That is assuming the MAF sensor hasn't drifted, we found that a lot of our mafs readings were out of spec, which causes lean or over rich conditions. It explains why someone would have the AFR in 12-13 range while someone else with same ecu has it in the 11-12 or 13-14!
Old 12-10-2009 | 06:06 PM
STFU n00b!

In the Houston heat, I have problems with the JWT being too aggressive with timing causing detonation, even with 93 octane. I have had to retard my timing to 13*BTDC (2 deg retarded from stock setting).
Other than that, I'm very happy with the ECU. I didn't think I noticed a difference when I installed it, but then I stuck the OEM one back in when trying to pass emissions (no change in emissions, so it wasn't the ECU) and the car was noticeably slower on throttle response and down a bit on power.

I paid $350 used for mine and would pay that again, but I'm not sure it's worth the $550 new price..
Old 12-10-2009 | 07:35 PM
Banned

When you guys start farting around with this stuff, do you know if those scam Insurance Companies could some how figure out a way to 'un-cover' you if you by accidently killed someone in a crash. Meaning, if they go and analyze the car after the accident, and they found out you made it go faster than it was designed for, does this VOID your coverage?
Old 12-10-2009 | 07:55 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
When you guys start farting around with this stuff, do you know if those scam Insurance Companies could some how figure out a way to 'un-cover' you if you by accidently killed someone in a crash. Meaning, if they go and analyze the car after the accident, and they found out you made it go faster than it was designed for, does this VOID your coverage?
i call BS... at least, here in the states, that is. I haven't ever heard of anyone dropping insurance because of it.
Nick Hogan ("hulk" hogan's son) was involved in a street race, severely injuring someone, to the point of permanant brain damage requiring two years in a hospital, and I never heard of any insurance dropping. Not that I would blame them, tho. stupid ****ers injuring innocent bystanders, when racing, .....

Back on topic:
i still think nistune is a better way to go. reprogram on the fly, tweak as desired, change stuff when you need to... not much more $$$... for the price, Nistune wins.
Initial setup is a pita, but hey, gotta start somewhere.
I do not mean to say JWT is worthless, but if you plan on more modding, you may want to consider what the investment will get you, later.
Old 12-10-2009 | 08:52 PM

well Ben youve got me going for Nistune now lol. after my Z31 turbo there will be more and i dont really want to constantly send my ECU back to California to get it reflashed

one question, some people say that if youre not smart with engines to stay away from Nistune because you can screw up everything, how much do you really have to know?
Old 12-10-2009 | 09:14 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well Ben youve got me going for Nistune now lol. after my Z31 turbo there will be more and i dont really want to constantly send my ECU back to California to get it reflashed

one question, some people say that if youre not smart with engines to stay away from Nistune because you can screw up everything, how much do you really have to know?
in a nut shell you have your AF reading at any given RPM/speed.

with nistune at that one point you can decide to give more or less fuel to stay stoich. it's color coded so you can pin point the lean or rich areas.

so yeah you'll need to do a little work...but once it's done you're done unless you start playing around w/ the motor or something.

do you need to be a pro tuner..no...but reading the documentation and etc goes a LONG way.
Old 12-10-2009 | 09:17 PM

doesnt sound too bad then, anything i cant handle the place that installed my Sparco seats is a aftermarket tuning specialist place so they can help me out or i know a few mechanics.

just gotta get the Z31 turbo setup and 5spd setup and then i'll get the ECU, i shouldnt be doing much afterwards since i just want ~250-300hp
Old 12-11-2009 | 07:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So with all JWT ECUs, do you have to mess with the timing? Or was it just your car?

And yea i checked the archives, and read that everyone was happy. I just figured there may be some differences from then (like back in 02) to now.
I cant really say but given the track record of my car, I would blame the car since I've had almost every problem that can possible occur.
Old 12-11-2009 | 08:05 PM

You really have to know what your doing. It not so much the AFR that kills motors its the timing advance. Without the proper experience or setup, you could have the engine detonate itself to death. I've seen a lot of self tuners end up with broken ring lands and burnt pistons/valves. IMHO if one doesn't have a wideband and a dyno, haven't ever tuned a motor before it would spell disaster. Consider this normally it would take a pro about 1-2 hrs to fully tune a car for WOT on a dyno. Now street tuning can be done with success but that is only if the tuner is smart about what their doing.

Your typical dyno shop charges about $75-125hr for tuning! An used jwt ecu can be a real bargain as its already tuned out of the box. Now that doesn't mean you couldn't find alittle more power from an AFPR or 1-2* timing advance assuming you've changed your intake or exhaust. There is a nice benefit to having a JWT ecu is that with the daughter board you can have multiple programs available at the hit of a switch! I know most tuning software will make you have to upload the new program on the fly to take effect where as JWT can have a switch.

Old 12-12-2009 | 02:01 PM

$600? Heck, man, go buy that thing. No need to debate it ahead of time, that price is worth it even if the engine was blown
The posting has expired now ...

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
You really have to know what your doing. It not so much the AFR that kills motors its the timing advance. Without the proper experience or setup, you could have the engine detonate itself to death. I've seen a lot of self tuners end up with broken ring lands and burnt pistons/valves. IMHO if one doesn't have a wideband and a dyno, haven't ever tuned a motor before it would spell disaster. Consider this normally it would take a pro about 1-2 hrs to fully tune a car for WOT on a dyno. Now street tuning can be done with success but that is only if the tuner is smart about what their doing.

Your typical dyno shop charges about $75-125hr for tuning! An used jwt ecu can be a real bargain as its already tuned out of the box. Now that doesn't mean you couldn't find alittle more power from an AFPR or 1-2* timing advance assuming you've changed your intake or exhaust. There is a nice benefit to having a JWT ecu is that with the daughter board you can have multiple programs available at the hit of a switch! I know most tuning software will make you have to upload the new program on the fly to take effect where as JWT can have a switch.
So you are saying that the JWT is better than NIStune as far as accessibility to tuning?

Quick Reply: Who has JWT in their Maxima?