3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

92 Maxima and Factory Alarm System Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 11:39 AM
ngul

92 Maxima and Factory Alarm System Question

I just bought a 1992 maxima and noticed that it is equipped with factory alarm system. Some times when I unlock the door with key, it unlooks it and looks it back itself quickly. Do i need to get a remote to to unlock the doors? How to figure out if my car is equipped with remote alarm system?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2001, 05:07 PM
terimelton

92 factory alarm

I also bought a 92 GXE and am trying to figure it out. Anyone that can help, please post. Thanks from us newbies.

Old 12-27-2001, 05:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There is no remote alarm system.

The owner's manual explains operation of the alarm better, but how it works is if you lock the doors and close it, the blinking light turns solid. After 30 seconds or so the light goes off and the system is armed. If you open the door (through the window or something which should set it off if armed) while the light is on the alarm won't go off. If you pop the hood or open the trunk while the light is solid it'll blink until you close it again. The light always blinks when something is open.

As for your problem ngul, does the lock seem to fight you, or does it unlock completely (click) and then lock itself with the power mechanism? I have the first problem. When I use the key to unlock it, it's resisting me somewhat and the lock tries to stay down. Roll down the window as you do this and you should hear a little relay clicking under the dash as you turn the key. The problem is with the door lock timer. It needs to be resoldered (easy if you're handy with a soldering iron). Do a search on this topic and you should find more help on this subject. Door lock timer failure can also lead to other weird and erratic lock behaviour. It doesn't happen to me enough for me to bother with it now, but I might fix it someday.

Alternatively someone on the board here may be willing to fix it for a fee.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Old 12-28-2001, 12:38 AM

Re: 92 Maxima and Factory Alarm System Question

Originally posted by ngul
I just bought a 1992 maxima and noticed that it is equipped with factory alarm system. Some times when I unlock the door with key, it unlooks it and looks it back itself quickly. Do i need to get a remote to to unlock the doors? How to figure out if my car is equipped with remote alarm system?

Thanks

you're car isn't equipped w/ a remote system... are you possibly turning it to pull it out to fast and accidently going the slightest bit back? my alarm is a pain in the *** because it constantly goes off. i'll lock it walk away and it'll just go off! it goes off when i open and close the trunk too!! i just live with it. i'm having trouble with my door key lock thing but i just live with it and try. i'm too damn lazy to get it fixed (that means being carless for at least a few hours!)
Old 12-28-2001, 07:58 AM
thunderman

Re: 92 Maxima and Factory Alarm System Question

Originally posted by ngul

Thanks
Hey I had the same problem with my 91, so I bought an alarm system [Cliford] and bypassed the factory. Good Luck!!!