3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:31 PM

Keyless entry

Has anyone ever tried to install a keyless entry system in their car? I want to have keyless entry but I also want to have the door keypad work also along with the factory alarm. i found a keyless entry system at autozone for $40 and was wondering if anyone has used this brand before or has any experience with any products from them.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=177774
Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 PM

theres a couple people here with shaved door handles and they of course use the keyless entry, $40 seems awfully cheap though
Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 PM

The keypad is pointless when you have a remote, no point in keeping it. You can always leave it, it will still work, but unless you get an aftermarket alarm that has a disarm input (not factory disarm output). The new alarm is going to sound unless you disarm it with the remote before you open the doors, again defeating the entire purpose of using the keypad.

My advice is to ditch the pad and also get a better alarm than the one you're looking at, such as a 2-way from a reputable manufacturer. You might not think you need it, but once you have an LCD that you can look at and see the status of your car wherever you are, you'll be happy you didn't get a cheap one. They can be had for a lot less than you think on ebay.

Last edited by Hectic; 05-09-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Hectic
The keypad is pointless when you have a remote, no point in keeping it. You can always leave it, it will still work, but unless you get an aftermarket alarm that has a disarm input (not factory disarm output). The new alarm is going to sound unless you disarm it with the remote before you open the doors, again defeating the entire purpose of using the keypad.

My advice is to ditch the pad and also get a better alarm than the one you're looking at, such as a 2-way from a reputable manufacturer. You might not think you need it, but once you have an LCD that you can look at and see the status of your car wherever you are, you'll be happy you didn't get a cheap one. They can be had for a lot less than you think on ebay.
This is also one of the reasons why I never got an alarm on my 3rd gen. I personally like the keypad and want to retain the that function. Being able to arm and disarm the alarm through there in case I were to lose the remote, run out of battery, forget my keys when I run out to the car to get my ipod or any other reason. The way Hectic puts it, does make it sound like it defeats the purpose of keeping it if the alarm can do that but I want to be able to have BOTH options period.

As for the 2way pager alarm/keyless, I agree! I have a Prestige 97xxx whatever model it is on my 4th gen and I love it! only thing I wish is that I would've gotten a 1 Miles range instead of 1400 ft range and although 1400 isn't terrible bad, there are still walls and interference to consider in the equation. I love being able to remote start the car, check the temperature inside the car through the remote, program a schedule in case I want to have the car turn on every so often to stay warm in the winter or simply use it as a regular alarm/remote start.

So Hectic, are you absolutely positively 100% sure you can't have your cake and eat it by having the keypad working PLUS having a nice high end alarm that can be armed and disarmed by either the remote or the keypad??
Old 05-10-2010, 04:37 AM

The 1993-1995 gen3 Maximas in New Zealand had a factory Nissan alarm installed with a remote and still had a working keypad, which must have controlled the alarm also. Not sure how it was wired up though. The gen3's were assembled here, and the wiring looms were made up here as part of the New Zealand content of the car, so would have been wired to suit.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
So Hectic, are you absolutely positively 100% sure you can't have your cake and eat it by having the keypad working PLUS having a nice high end alarm that can be armed and disarmed by either the remote or the keypad??
I sure there's an alarm or two on the market that can be (de)activated via key (or keypad), but that kind of creates a venerability, so there's probably not many out there. What you could do with ANY alarm, is build a circuit with a spare fob so when the keypad unlocks the door it sends a pulse to the spare remote as well, simulating a button push which would then disarm the alarm, and vice versa.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 PM

I sure there's an alarm or two on the market that can be (de)activated via key (or keypad), but that kind of creates a venerability, so there's probably not many out there. What you could do with ANY alarm, is build a circuit with a spare fob so when the keypad unlocks the door it sends a pulse to the spare remote as well, simulating a button push which would then disarm the alarm, and vice versa.
make me one
Old 05-10-2010, 07:17 PM

Sorry, way too much on my plate. The basic idea is to simply install a relay which momentarily closes the circuit on the remote when energized. You would need 1 relay for each operation (unlock and lock), then wire to the remote circuit board at the button pads. The remote pinouts would need to be isolated from the operating current.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM

So by installing the keyless entry it wouldn't make the keypad stop working so i could still use it if i wanted to? Also im not to worried about having a better alarm on the car a factory one is fine with me since i don't think their are many people who look to steal cars that are 15 plus years old.

Also are these kinds of things plug and play because the box didnt really have to much info on the install without me actually buying it and opening it up. and honestly I don't have to much experience messing with eletrical stuff. i figured it wouldn't be to complicated just the keypad is what i figured would confuse things
Old 05-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Well if all you want to add is a remote without alarm, that should work fine alongside the factory alarm and keypad. You're mistaken though, 15 year old cars are jacked all the time.

The unit will come with an installation guide, you can get the car's wire color and location info all over the net. Not too hard, not as many wires as an alarm would be. As long as you know how to take stuff apart and use quick splices and connectors properly, you can get it done. Lock and unlock wires are pain to get at though so be prepared.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 PM

Well if all you want to add is a remote without alarm, that should work fine alongside the factory alarm and keypad. You're mistaken though, 15 year old cars are jacked all the time.

The unit will come with an installation guide, you can get the car's wire color and location info all over the net. Not too hard, not as many wires as an alarm would be. As long as you know how to take stuff apart and use quick splices and connectors properly, you can get it done. Lock and unlock wires are pain to get at though so be prepared.
shiet if thats the case, I dont mind just the factory alarm... I'll probably end up adding just a nice long range keyless entry and call it a day
Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 AM

Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it i will probably install it sometime in the next couple of weeks and have keyless entry which will be really nice.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 AM

Have fun!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Lock and unlock wires are pain to get at though so be prepared.

ok so i bought the keyless entry unit today and it seems pretty straight forward the only issue that i have is that for the unlock and lock wires i am not exactly sure where they are they should be plugged into the keyless entry box behind the glove box right? bc the wire diagram on the website for the keyless entry says that the wires should have silver dots on them and i cant find those, i pulled the glovebox to look at it more carefully and they definitly dont have them. am i looking at the wrong thing?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:07 PM

nvm i figured it out
Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 PM

ok well i got the keyless entry installed the only thing that i couldnt figure out was how to wire up the parking lights to flash when I locked or unlocked the car. What i found was that I was supposed to tap into a red/yellow wire by the steering column but i couldnt find that, I found 2 red/orange wires coming from the left of the steering column but not a red/yellow one. Also I found out that if I lock the car using the remote for the keyless entry it doesnt arm the factory alarm. is there a relay or something like that, that I could hook up so that the factory alarm would arm itself when I use the remote?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 PM

I also would like to know the answer to that question since that is my plan for the 3rd gen. Keyless entry + remote start but keeping the factory alarm