3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

TPS replacement: advice pls

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 PM

TPS replacement: advice pls

I may need a new Throttle Position Sensor for my 91GXE, but won't know for sure yet until this wknd. If so, does anyone know if OEM replacement is necessary? I can get one from Nissan for about $160.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

What brought you to the conclusion that your tps is bad?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
What brought you to the conclusion that your tps is bad?
again, i MAY need a new one I'm just researching prices and options. But the main symptom is that the engine slightly hesitates to accelerate when i give the pedal a little bit of gas from a dead stop. I adjusted the throttle cable by turning the 2 nuts on top of the intake plenum a few months ago and that fixed it fine. But the problem has slowly come back and now those 2 nuts are at the end of the threading so i cant tighten the cable anymore.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:02 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Is this the same car you bumped the timing up on to fix the hesitation issue?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Is this the same car you bumped the timing up on to fix the hesitation issue?
The timing was slightly adjusted but i dont think it alleviated the problem. good memory tho...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dayle97SE
The timing was slightly adjusted but i dont think it alleviated the problem. good memory tho...
Do you have any codes? have you tuned the car up? I think Im due for another tune up soon. But the TPS is something that tells when the tranny is supposed to shift and stuff right? I remember I used to play around with mine on my 87 GXE. The tranny was kinda searching through gears, so I adjusted the tps forward or backward, and that solved that problem. Have you cleaned the throttle body area? SOmetimes that helps with hesitation too.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Banned

new plugs and dist cap and all that good stuff u might have an arcing dist cap if it hesitates sumtimes.. and ontop of that seafoam that ****
Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
new plugs and dist cap and all that good stuff u might have an arcing dist cap if it hesitates sumtimes.. and ontop of that seafoam that ****
Yeah seafoam will work too! Along with cleaning some of the parts of the intake, because for cars this age, most likely the throttle body has never been cleaned and its developed carbon deposits. My max used to have a slight hesitation, but after I cleaned the throttle opening area it has ran smooth ever since.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 AM

I may need a new Throttle Position Sensor for my 91GXE, but won't know for sure yet until this wknd. If so, does anyone know if OEM replacement is necessary? I can get one from Nissan for about $160.
I mean if you have an multimeter you should just test it, I mean not to say a tps can't cause a lil power loss, but that's not where I would look first.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by biggz2332
I mean if you have an multimeter you should just test it, I mean not to say a tps can't cause a lil power loss, but that's not where I would look first.
Is it possible to put the ecu in mode 2"switchs on\off mode"
and make sure right when you press the gas pedal
the check engine light comes on and off with the switch?

AND could one install or adjust it using this manner?
oops, ive said too much.........
Old 06-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys. I'm driving a 93 se. I've got a sort of similar problem, and I'm thinking its the tps. While I'm accelerating, the engine will suddenly stop giving gas as if I were rapidly bouncing between coasting and accelerating. (accelerator is down the whole time). Let me know if I'm on the right track! Dayle, have you has any problems like mine?
Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by xR0WDYx
Hey guys. I'm driving a 93 se. I've got a sort of similar problem, and I'm thinking its the tps. While I'm accelerating, the engine will suddenly stop giving gas as if I were rapidly bouncing between coasting and accelerating. (accelerator is down the whole time). Let me know if I'm on the right track! Dayle, have you has any problems like mine?
Thanks a bunch.
Yes, that sounds very similar. It usually happens at low speed (less than 20MPH) and from dead stops.

My throttle body was cleaned last summer from the parts where the black "S" intake meets the aluminum to as far as i could spray TBcleaner in the plenums. Maybe i didnt clean far enough? I've never removed the plenums. I also replaced the dist. cap and spark plugs about 2 years ago.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by xR0WDYx
Thanks a bunch.
I had very similar problem lately, pulled the code, it was TPS - turned out my TPS connector was slightly oxidized. I cleaned TPS part of it and put it back on. It's been fine for 2 weeks already.

Last edited by Max_5gen; 06-11-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replaced the tps and the coast/accel alternation stopped. Delay between pressing down the pedal and engine response also went away. Thanks a bunch guys. Hope everything works out for you dayle.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:59 AM

Yes, that sounds very similar. It usually happens at low speed (less than 20MPH) and from dead stops.

My throttle body was cleaned last summer from the parts where the black "S" intake meets the aluminum to as far as i could spray TBcleaner in the plenums. Maybe i didnt clean far enough? I've never removed the plenums. I also replaced the dist. cap and spark plugs about 2 years ago.
I believe you guys are looking at all options, I would clean tps connections with electrode cleaner, tweek out the connectors, hit with small wire brush, check wiring and all related connections before ponying up the dough for a tps unless money is no problem but still that money could be used for something else. Have you also looked into your fuel injectors, fuel injector connectors, wiring harness. I just recently straitened out my mother inlaw's Stratus by doing just that, she had brought her car to 5 different shops and none of them were motivated enough I believe to take apart enough of the fuel injection wiring harness to find out why here car was hesitating sooo bad she could barely drive her car. My 89'GXE also had slight hesitation/miss fire every once in a while and I fixed by tweeking out the connectors behind the fuel injector itself and a loose wire in the harness. Good Luck, Shiloh.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
I believe you guys are looking at all options, I would clean tps connections with electrode cleaner, tweek out the connectors, hit with small wire brush, check wiring and all related connections before ponying up the dough for a tps unless money is no problem but still that money could be used for something else. Have you also looked into your fuel injectors, fuel injector connectors, wiring harness. I just recently straitened out my mother inlaw's Stratus by doing just that, she had brought her car to 5 different shops and none of them were motivated enough I believe to take apart enough of the fuel injection wiring harness to find out why here car was hesitating sooo bad she could barely drive her car. My 89'GXE also had slight hesitation/miss fire every once in a while and I fixed by tweeking out the connectors behind the fuel injector itself and a loose wire in the harness. Good Luck, Shiloh.
Replacing TPS is actually not complete waste of money as it comes with fresh contacts so it might last much longer. I cleaned TPS myself just because I had the cleaner and in the worst case if it comes back in winter as all **** here usually does I won't freak out and will simply repeat the procedure.