3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Adjusting the Clutch Pedal - what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Adjusting the Clutch Pedal - what happened?

I have a VE 5 speed and my clutch has been slipping a little bit when I have a car full of people and I'm trying to accelerate quickly. At the same time, my clutch pedal wasn't engaging as low to the floorboard as I wanted. In other words, I had to let the clutch out about halfway before the clutch would engage and I wanted it to engage sooner than that. I was afraid that maybe the high engagement point was making the clutch not fully engage - thus the slippage.

So I tried to adjust it with the metal piece which connects the rod coming out of the clutch master to the clutch pedal. I screwed it CLOCKWISE, thus creating LESS travel in the rod going into the clutch master cylinder. I thought this would ensure that the clutch would fully engage if it wasn't already. But instead the clutch slips MUCH easier now. What gives? Shouldn't creating less travel make it slip less or at least not any more?

Could someone help me understand this?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM

Son you need to drop your gearbox and replace clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Be smart while you're at it and pull the flywheel and replace the rear crank seal and please use a genuine Nissan seal. You may be cheap and try all the gimmicks in the world, but their is only one resolution to your problem and I told you. Anybody tell you anything else need only grow a tail to become a certified Jackass. Even a 3rd gen deserve an OEM quality owner.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Son you need to drop your gearbox and replace clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Be smart while you're at it and pull the flywheel and replace the rear crank seal and please use a genuine Nissan seal. You may be cheap and try all the gimmicks in the world, but their is only one resolution to your problem and I told you. Anybody tell you anything else need only grow a tail to become a certified Jackass. Even a 3rd gen deserve an OEM quality owner.
I would love to do all of the above...if I had the money. Unfortunately I'm currently unemployed and so I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible. Any idea on why my clutch is doing the thing it's doing? If no one has any ideas I guess I'll just adjust it back to where it was so it'll slip less!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:51 PM

Clutch is worn pretty soon it wont move at all. I happened kinda sudden on my 02.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 06-10-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Get Off My Lawn

FYI: Clutch pedal on 3rd gen is "self adjusting." Any attempts to mess with it will simply result in exactly what just happened to you. Set it back as best you can, then do as indicated above....actually fix your problem under the hood. If you plan on keeping the car, you DEFINATELY better go OEM or good aftermarket.

Additionally, you keep driving that car and slipping the clutch like you make it sound, you are tripling the pace your clutch is going to fail! Take it easy and baby that thing. Otherwise, you may end up finding an ugly mess in your tranny and possible damage to your flywheel.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

if the clutch is slipping on an unadjusted pedal, that means the clutch/pp are most likely worn. I adjusted my pedal because i took the return spring out so i lifted it up a bit so it would still touch the cruise control switch so my cc would work. plus it shortened shift times and imo greatly improved pedal feel. but if you already have slippage on a stock pedal then adjusting it ain't gonna help.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by hoyshnin
I have a VE 5 speed and my clutch has been slipping a little bit when I have a car full of people and I'm trying to accelerate quickly. At the same time, my clutch pedal wasn't engaging as low to the floorboard as I wanted. In other words, I had to let the clutch out about halfway before the clutch would engage and I wanted it to engage sooner than that. I was afraid that maybe the high engagement point was making the clutch not fully engage - thus the slippage.

So I tried to adjust it with the metal piece which connects the rod coming out of the clutch master to the clutch pedal. I screwed it CLOCKWISE, thus creating LESS travel in the rod going into the clutch master cylinder. I thought this would ensure that the clutch would fully engage if it wasn't already. But instead the clutch slips MUCH easier now. What gives? Shouldn't creating less travel make it slip less or at least not any more?

Could someone help me understand this?
You sir, need a clutch. Gon on the highway, put it on 5th and give it WOT, see how long it takes to actually start grabbing, if its not instant. See first sentence of this statement.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
if the clutch is slipping on an unadjusted pedal, that means the clutch/pp are most likely worn. I adjusted my pedal because i took the return spring out so i lifted it up a bit so it would still touch the cruise control switch so my cc would work. plus it shortened shift times and imo greatly improved pedal feel. but if you already have slippage on a stock pedal then adjusting it ain't gonna help.
Yea.... I totally hated the way your clutch felt when I drove it! I also stalled like 3 times due to not being used to it.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Yea.... I totally hated the way your clutch felt when I drove it! I also stalled like 3 times due to not being used to it.
it's cuz yours caught at the bottom and had 4 inches of completely useless freeplay at the top! i adjusted it a little more later on.. so it didn't go down so far either, so basically the movement range of the pedal pretty much tightly hugged the borders of the engagement zone. twas great. quick shifts.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
it's cuz yours caught at the bottom and had 4 inches of completely useless freeplay at the top! i adjusted it a little more later on.. so it didn't go down so far either, so basically the movement range of the pedal pretty much tightly hugged the borders of the engagement zone. twas great. quick shifts.
I'd have to drive again to see how it feels but I'm sure that wont be happening!

I like that the clutch grabs as soon as you lift a bit, the way you word the 4 inch of play sounds bad but that has no affect on the driving at all
Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I'd have to drive again to see how it feels but I'm sure that wont be happening!

I like that the clutch grabs as soon as you lift a bit, the way you word the 4 inch of play sounds bad but that has no affect on the driving at all
yea but it's still 4 inches of dead space that your foot has to push the pedal before you can get the car into gear. but like i said, i ran up the lower stopper so that the bottom of the travel was basically right at the grab point, and it finished off right at the top. but no, you will never be able to drive the car to find out :/ but i'm gonna set the z up the same way.