3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

BELTS...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM

BELTS...

So my car stopped turning... yes it was the belt that popped sucks like hell but my question what are the belts on the side and how do I change them? the other two there are all messed up also... i think its two still there...
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM

Sounds like your power steering (PS) belt went, and it is the same as the water pump belt.

1. jack up the car, support w/ stands
2. remove front passenger wheel and splash guard
3. there should be 3 belts- one going to alternator, one to AC compressor/idler pulley, and one to PS and water pump and idler pulley. you can just remove the belts by loosening the bolt at the idler pulleys or alternator pivot bolt and adjusting the tension. you will need an extension on your sockets to reach one of them.

4. take ALL of your belts to the parts store to size them correctly. if you have an aftermarket underdrive pulley, then your belts will be shorter than the OEM size.
5. replace all three belts and adjust the tension by using the idler pulleys
6. replace splash guard, wheel and lower the car
7. if you have a squeal on start-up, then you may need to increase one of your belt's tension

check out AutoZone 1994 vehicle repair guides for more info.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 AM

PERFECT! THANKS MAN... ON MORE QUESTION I SEEN THIS... IS IT ANY GOOD?

MADE BY GATES... I HAVE NO IDEA... http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0074&ppt=C0007

Last edited by Infam0usMax; 07-07-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 AM

YOU should take it to a mechanic and YOU should get OEM belts and if you do it yourself how will YOU know the correct tension to put on the belts. I say this because YOU sound clueless...
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
PERFECT! THANKS MAN... ON MORE QUESTION I SEEN THIS... IS IT ANY GOOD?
MADE BY GATES... I HAVE NO IDEA... http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0074&ppt=C0007
Gates belts are fine. I've used them many times on many vehicles over the years; however, I'm not familiar with this specific model. If you have a Haynes/Chiltons manual you'll be able to find the specs to properly tension the belts.

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
YOU should take it to a mechanic and YOU should get OEM belts and if you do it yourself how will YOU know the correct tension to put on the belts. I say this because YOU sound clueless...
That attitude is what has driven many, many pople away from the org. This forum is here for learning and discussion. You had to learn at some point. Repay the favor by teaching others with your knowledge, not embarass them with flames. If you can't say somethinig nice...
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
YOU should not reply if your gonna be an *** about it +2 My dad is a mechanic but hes busy with other things at the moment I just wanted to get info about the belts, I never said I was doing it myself and also I searched for a thread about belts and found none so maybe this will help somebody else when they want to "Do it yourself"... learn to read and comprehend faster...

Originally Posted by tresboi
Gates belts are fine. I've used them many times on many vehicles over the years; however, I'm not familiar with this specific model. If you have a Haynes/Chiltons manual you'll be able to find the specs to properly tension the belts.

That attitude is what has driven many, many pople away from the org. This forum is here for learning and discussion. You had to learn at some point. Repay the favor by teaching others with your knowledge, not embarass them with flames. If you can't say somethinig nice...
Ive ran into a few like him on here and i hold my ground a lot of them have no choice but to be ignorant... but yeah I do have the Haynes manual I bought it the same day I got the car...thanks again.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Sure thing, man. Give some feedback on those belts if you pick them up. It could be an easy asthetic addition to the engine bay, especially if they have more than one color option.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I don't believe the gates belts are blue, not for the VG. It will likely be a standard black t-belt with gates logo (much like the goodyear belts). it is likely a stock photo, using a blue belt (guess is a honda belt; those look like honda rad hoses, to me)
it should be a good belt, gates makes good stuff.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
YOU should not reply if your gonna be an *** about it +2 My dad is a mechanic but hes busy with other things at the moment I just wanted to get info about the belts, I never said I was doing it myself and also I searched for a thread about belts and found none so maybe this will help somebody else when they want to "Do it yourself"... learn to read and comprehend faster...
Hang with daddy a little bit more, huh? Personally I like genuine parts, it's just so much better than the generic stuff.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:56 PM
STFU n00b!

Gates is at least good quality. That's the ONLY brand of timing belt I'd buy if I'm not buying OEM. (who do you think makes most of th eOEM belts and hoses for domestic cars? )

But the Gates stuff you buy in the store usually isn't ricer blue. it'll look just like OEM.

From the posts, be sure to get some help on the job. tightening the belts too much can damage bearings in all of your accessories as well as cause the crank snout to shear off. make sure you do it right the first time. Everything but the timing belt is low on skill required, but high on messy. timing belt is a bit more involved, but that's something your dad can help you with.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by tresboi
Sure thing, man. Give some feedback on those belts if you pick them up. It could be an easy asthetic addition to the engine bay, especially if they have more than one color option.
I didnt pick up the Gates but the guys said that gates makes the brand i have I was like umm ok... lol

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I don't believe the gates belts are blue, not for the VG. It will likely be a standard black t-belt with gates logo (much like the goodyear belts). it is likely a stock photo, using a blue belt (guess is a honda belt; those look like honda rad hoses, to me)
it should be a good belt, gates makes good stuff.
About the belts being blue the guy said they would have to order them but they do come in blue...a red would look nice with the valve covers being red...

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Gates is at least good quality. That's the ONLY brand of timing belt I'd buy if I'm not buying OEM. (who do you think makes most of th eOEM belts and hoses for domestic cars? )

But the Gates stuff you buy in the store usually isn't ricer blue. it'll look just like OEM.

From the posts, be sure to get some help on the job. tightening the belts too much can damage bearings in all of your accessories as well as cause the crank snout to shear off. make sure you do it right the first time. Everything but the timing belt is low on skill required, but high on messy. timing belt is a bit more involved, but that's something your dad can help you with.
The guy also told me that the blue ones are for high performance and a lot of power... this coming from a guy that owns a new GT300 Mustang its a 4.6 he said one of his belts are $80(GATES BLUE) but a nice ride kind of old dude too but yeah i bought some regular OEM belts... and I had the guy who installed my new engine to check the timing belt before he dropped it in and it was in good shape now that I know about the gates if I ever have to replace that ill get that brand... but thanks for the help guys...hope this thread helps others...