3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

whats the best engine & fuel treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:17 PM

whats the best engine & fuel treatment?

im looking into buying the Z MAX engine & fuel treatment and try it out.
anyone ever use this or anything different?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Doesn't ring any bells for me. I always use the big bottle of Lucas Fuel Additive. Really noticed a difference in mpg after using for several tanks. Gained about 3 more miles per gallon when using and when stopped, maintained a 2 mpg gain (so lost 1 mpg when not in use). I think my '03 runs great, so I didn't notice anything significant in terms of horsepower on my butt dyno. Car did feel more responsive, but my injectors may have been dirty and Lucas cleaned them out.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Doesn't ring any bells for me. I always use the big bottle of Lucas Fuel Additive. Really noticed a difference in mpg after using for several tanks. Gained about 3 more miles per gallon when using and when stopped, maintained a 2 mpg gain (so lost 1 mpg when not in use). I think my '03 runs great, so I didn't notice anything significant in terms of horsepower on my butt dyno. Car did feel more responsive, but my injectors may have been dirty and Lucas cleaned them out.
its this
http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/se...om/Detail?no=3

and is this lucas your talking about the injector cleaner? (if it is, im already using that and it feels smoother, i have 2 bad injectors i need to fix )
Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

ive seen that stuff a autozone. my friend rants and raves about it saying it looks like its the ****.
but idk..
and anyways. i doubt additives are gonna fix ur injectors bro
Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 PM

I know that's right......All that stuff is B.S......
Old 07-24-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
ive seen that stuff a autozone. my friend rants and raves about it saying it looks like its the ****.
but idk..
and anyways. i doubt additives are gonna fix ur injectors bro
yea i have the 2 injectors i just havnt replaced them yet -_-
Old 07-24-2010, 10:33 PM

im not a fan of additives, but after i got my engine rebuilt a family friend told me to try injector cleaner so i threw in a bottle. i dont know why but i was getting horrible MPG after, as in using 1/4 of a tank within a day or two. after i refilled and the injector cleaner burnt off, ive gotten better MPG. i thought i was burning through gas so quick because i was gunning it more after the rebuild but im still gunning it now and getting normal MPG
Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 PM

ehh so i guess my best bet would be an engine flush. i just want to get rid of any sludge if i have any, just in case u know. im a maintenance freak so i keep on top of things. i havnt had time to put in my damn injectors tho.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
ehh so i guess my best bet would be an engine flush. i just want to get rid of any sludge if i have any, just in case u know. im a maintenance freak so i keep on top of things. i havnt had time to put in my damn injectors tho.
engine flushes are worth it if you think you have sludge, i just got mine done at a oil change place for $20 with a natural flusher made of soybean and stuff when i had sludge a couple years ago
Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
engine flushes are worth it if you think you have sludge, i just got mine done at a oil change place for $20 with a natural flusher made of soybean and stuff when i had sludge a couple years ago
how much does a flush go for?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:27 PM

it was $20, long story short is my 3rd gen is my first car and i was a idiot when i first got it and rode out standard oil to 5000km and got bad sludge, so after the flush i got schooled and switched to synthetic every 3000km
Old 07-24-2010, 11:34 PM

it was $20, long story short is my 3rd gen is my first car and i was a idiot when i first got it and rode out standard oil to 5000km and got bad sludge, so after the flush i got schooled and switched to synthetic every 3000km
so whats the best oil to use? last time i got an oil change i forgot to ask. this time imma do it myself. if i get a flush ill buy the oil i want for them to use and do an oil change
Old 07-24-2010, 11:41 PM

so whats the best oil to use? last time i got an oil change i forgot to ask. this time imma do it myself. if i get a flush ill buy the oil i want for them to use and do an oil change
ive heard good things about Royal Purple but i just use Castrol
Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 PM

ive heard good things about Royal Purple but i just use Castrol
yea i used castrol gtx but that was 2 oil changes ago when i my father did it for me. never heard of royal purple
Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 PM

yea i used castrol gtx but that was 2 oil changes ago when i my father did it for me. never heard of royal purple

its supposedly like the best of the best, its supposed to be really good. dont want to switch my motor oil but my mechanic said to use Royal Purple tranny fluid
Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 AM

its supposedly like the best of the best, its supposed to be really good. dont want to switch my motor oil but my mechanic said to use Royal Purple tranny fluid
i seen that in autozone but i thought it was cheap cuz the bottles look so bootleg and cheap lol.

get a tranny flush and use the purple power then.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:05 AM

yeah im going to flush it in a couple weeks, i need to flush some other fluids so i'll do it all at once
Old 07-25-2010, 12:14 AM

yeah im going to flush it in a couple weeks, i need to flush some other fluids so i'll do it all at once
i might do the same in a month, engine, tranny,radiator.

any other fluids u can do?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 AM

btw wat are the rest of those bottles in the pic?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 AM

brake fluid, power steering, etc. did the brake fluid a few days ago and i got my coolant changed with my engine rebuild

im not sure what the other bottles are, the Ice one looks like some kind of radiator additive, there looks like 2 of the same engine oils, 2 of the same tranny fluid bottles, and a multipurpose industrial oil/air compressor oil
Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 AM

brake fluid, power steering, etc. did the brake fluid a few days ago and i got my coolant changed with my engine rebuild

im not sure what the other bottles are, the Ice one looks like some kind of radiator additive, there looks like 2 of the same engine oils, 2 of the same tranny fluid bottles, and a multipurpose industrial oil/air compressor oil
i just filled my power steering a few days ago, its was fawken low and it was making a humming sound when i turned. my father said he did it but he never got to do it so i never checked it. lol its good now tho.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 AM

my power steering has a leak but its not work replacing the whole system yet

whatever dumbfukc did the coolant last (probably the last owners mechanic) used tapwater to mix with the coolant so my radiator is a bit screwed up as well but not that bad. Mishimoto makes 4th gen and up radiators but i might see if a 4th gen one can fit in a 3rd gen with little modding
Old 07-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Get Off My Lawn

i seen that in autozone but i thought it was cheap cuz the bottles look so bootleg and cheap lol.

get a tranny flush and use the purple power then.
Amsoil is absolutely the best. Beneath that, Redline and Royal Purple (IMO) are equals. Then, beneath those, you've got (not in any presumable order) Valvoline, Castrol, etc.....
Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 PM

my power steering has a leak but its not work replacing the whole system yet

whatever dumbfukc did the coolant last (probably the last owners mechanic) used tapwater to mix with the coolant so my radiator is a bit screwed up as well but not that bad. Mishimoto makes 4th gen and up radiators but i might see if a 4th gen one can fit in a 3rd gen with little modding
if u do that mod and it works i might do it u make a write up. i have money to buy another car but i love my maxima so ill jus keep saving till i can get 6th gen
Old 07-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Amsoil is absolutely the best. Beneath that, Redline and Royal Purple (IMO) are equals. Then, beneath those, you've got (not in any presumable order) Valvoline, Castrol, etc.....
ill look into amsoil when i go shopping for my oil. around how many miles do u change ur oil? do u do the traditional every 3000 miles?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 PM

if u do that mod and it works i might do it u make a write up. i have money to buy another car but i love my maxima so ill jus keep saving till i can get 6th gen
i'll ask my mechanic because he works on 4th gens as well but does anyone on here know if it will fit?

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-p...ima-95-99.html
Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Get Off My Lawn

ill look into amsoil when i go shopping for my oil. around how many miles do u change ur oil? do u do the traditional every 3000 miles?
Amsoil is very costly, but is significantly more durable than other oils meaning fewer oil changes (depending on condition of engine). There is a thread in the Group Deals forum for Amsoil. Otherwise, you'll have to call around to some shops near you to find it, does not get carried often. There's only a handfull of places local to me that carries Amsoil, and that's due to me living near Bristol Motor Speedway.

Personally, I change my oil when it begins to discolor, checking it at least once every two weeks after 2500 miles. I don't let my car go anymore than 4-5k miles on dino-oil. Given I bought my '03 with 120k miles on her and do not know the history of care, I've elected to not run synthetic in her.

However, I do run synthetic in my '89 turbo. Completely rebuilt, know the history, and less than 8k miles on the engine/turbo.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 PM

Amsoil is very costly, but is significantly more durable than other oils meaning fewer oil changes (depending on condition of engine). There is a thread in the Group Deals forum for Amsoil. Otherwise, you'll have to call around to some shops near you to find it, does not get carried often. There's only a handfull of places local to me that carries Amsoil, and that's due to me living near Bristol Motor Speedway.

Personally, I change my oil when it begins to discolor, checking it at least once every two weeks after 2500 miles. I don't let my car go anymore than 4-5k miles on dino-oil. Given I bought my '03 with 120k miles on her and do not know the history of care, I've elected to not run synthetic in her.

However, I do run synthetic in my '89 turbo. Completely rebuilt, know the history, and less than 8k miles on the engine/turbo.
o ok imma have to call around auto parts stores to see who has it.
imma start checking it like you cuz it makes more sense to change it when it discolors.

10+
Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 PM

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

I've used it many times. The best product and recommend it to anyone.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by K-Ryder
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

I've used it many times. The best product and recommend it to anyone.
what kind of difference did you notice?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Gram Lights addict

nothing else matters
Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE

nothing else matters
plz elaborate why

(just noticed its advertised all over the site lol)
Old 07-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Get Off My Lawn

It indicates on the can it is an engine flusher. If that is something you feel you need, most on the forums recommend and regularly use Seafoam to flush/clean engine internals.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:21 PM

It indicates on the can it is an engine flusher. If that is something you feel you need, most on the forums recommend and regularly use Seafoam to flush/clean engine internals.
well i was thinking of doing one cuz im guessing the previous 2 owners never did it and the car is 20 yrs old. can this be done myself or should i take it to a shop and do it?

i never did this b4 so i wouldnt know where to start.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM

what kind of difference did you notice?
Better acceleration, when I changed my oil, it cleaned my engine out took all that grime and dirt out. I poured some fresh oil and my car was good as new..Also I added it to my gas tank and it improved my injectors and everything. Plus this stuff been out for years. I used it on my old chevy. I recommend it to anyone, you can even youtube it if you want anymore proof. Really does work from the inside out.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Better acceleration, when I changed my oil, it cleaned my engine out took all that grime and dirt out. I poured some fresh oil and my car was good as new..Also I added it to my gas tank and it improved my injectors and everything. Plus this stuff been out for years. I used it on my old chevy. I recommend it to anyone, you can even youtube it if you want anymore proof. Really does work from the inside out.
dam im tryen to choose in between all these oils everyone keeps posting.
each one has good ratings and reviews from my research

when u say u cleaned your engine, did u do it yourself? (like a flush) if so how did u do it?
or
did u get it done by a shop?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM

dam im tryen to choose in between all these oils everyone keeps posting.
each one has good ratings and reviews from my research

when u say u cleaned your engine, did u do it yourself? (like a flush) if so how did u do it?
or
did u get it done by a shop?
I did it myself, I added the mystery oil in my engine with my old oil, let it run for a couple of minutes..then let it sit overnight, the next morning I turned it on let it run for a while, then drained it. Man that thing was blacker than burnt toast. Changed my filter added fresh oil and voila clean engine.

An old mechanic from my class told me this so I tried it and Im passing the info to others.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM

I did it myself, I added the mystery oil in my engine with my old oil, let it run for a couple of minutes..then let it sit overnight, the next morning I turned it on let it run for a while, then drained it. Man that thing was blacker than burnt toast. Changed my filter added fresh oil and voila clean engine.

An old mechanic from my class told me this so I tried it and Im passing the info to others.
dam thats crazy. i bet mine is black as **** lol. thnx for the tip tho.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 PM

what do they do exactly at the shop when u go in for a engine flush?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM

ok i read this and now im sketchy bout flushing the engine
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html#flushing

Quick Reply: whats the best engine & fuel treatment?