3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Antenna Modification

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:49 PM

Antenna Modification

Has anyone done any kind of antenna mod ?? My motor for mine has gone bad twice now, and ive never really been a fan of the mast type anyways sooo... i was gunna buy a short stubby one(havent decided exactly what im gunna get yet) and do a lil modification to fit it. Any words of advice from you guys ??

Heres an idea of what i might get:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA...ts_Accessories

And i do know this isnt for our car its a universal antenna... im just giving an idea of what i might get.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 AM

I like that one I thought about getting the "shark fin" if thats what its called and just having the hole filled when she gets painted... but this isn't bad since mine is stuck up...its been that way since i bought the car... looking forward to seeing what everybody else has to say or at least see some pictures...
Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 PM

IMHO our antennas are horrible and stick up wayy to far when extended, i personally dont listen to the radio too much just because i think the antenna is ugly.
Id be interested to see if you could get that antenna to work with our setup, dont know how you would hook our existing cable to that 1 and or if its size will even cover the hole of the origional 1.... in for somemore info if you try it...
Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 PM

i found another one for about $8 ill buy it thursday and try to make it work... so ill return to this thread when it comes.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 PM

Aight cool bro good luck and def let us know how it works out.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 PM

I just unplugged my antenna. I can't stand the radio.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 PM

yeah agreed that stock 3rd gen antenna are ugly. is it hard to remove the OEM antenna? CD's of course still work right? and if you remove the antenna, you have to fill the hole correct?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Has anyone done any kind of antenna mod ?? My motor for mine has gone bad twice now, and ive never really been a fan of the mast type anyways sooo... i was gunna buy a short stubby one(havent decided exactly what im gunna get yet) and do a lil modification to fit it. Any words of advice from you guys ??

Heres an idea of what i might get:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA...ts_Accessories

And i do know this isnt for our car its a universal antenna... im just giving an idea of what i might get.
Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
IMHO our antennas are horrible and stick up wayy to far when extended, i personally dont listen to the radio too much just because i think the antenna is ugly.
Id be interested to see if you could get that antenna to work with our setup, dont know how you would hook our existing cable to that 1 and or if its size will even cover the hole of the origional 1.... in for somemore info if you try it...
Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Aight cool bro good luck and def let us know how it works out.
Originally Posted by chrome91
yeah agreed that stock 3rd gen antenna are ugly. is it hard to remove the OEM antenna? CD's of course still work right? and if you remove the antenna, you have to fill the hole correct?
sup guys so... i got to buy it and what do you know it says "Fit Most Of The Motor Cars With Screw Type Base (Cars With Motor Type Base Antenna Might Need Modification In Order To Install This). " what type of modification are they talking about I have no idea but Im still going to see what its like...might just have to run a new antenna cord from the deck to the rear that might be what they are talking about. idk... ill ask.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 PM

Yeah i read that same thing... i figured that any modification that will need to be done cant be too bad. The main problem i think will occur is the hole either being to small or too big, but, as far as the cord goes i dont think that should be too big of an issue.

Chrome91- Yeah if you took it out and werent planning on putting something else there then yeah you would want to fill the hole, and removal i dont believe is that hard either. Yes CD's still work too lol
Old 08-26-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
My parents had a JDM used import Maxima (we are talking New Zealand here) that had a switch mounted in the console beside the handbrake that controlled the height of the antenna. It had 2 positions, 1 for fully extended and 1 for only half extended. Still operated normally with the key, or on/off switch on the radio.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by milkwasabadchoice
I just unplugged my antenna. I can't stand the radio.
I got a head unit that does mp3/cd/usb.
cannot stand the talk shows first thing in the morning, anyway.
Originally Posted by stevesmax
My parents had a JDM used import Maxima (we are talking New Zealand here) that had a switch mounted in the console beside the handbrake that controlled the height of the antenna. It had 2 positions, 1 for fully extended and 1 for only half extended. Still operated normally with the key, or on/off switch on the radio.

when you say "imported" do you mean originally sold in japan, or nz ,or elsewhere?
interested in checking this out.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 AM

My parents had a JDM used import Maxima
did you get it from Japan? i know a importer there and asked him and he said theres barely any 3rd gens in Japan, he couldnt even find me one
Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 AM

He said had, and that could of been years ago. chrome gets all wet when someone talks JDM
Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
He said had, and that could of been years ago. chrome gets all wet when someone talks JDM
a RHD 3rd gen would be so awesome
Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 PM

i would like to see what you guys do with this antenna mod as mine is also stuck all the way up
a RHD 3rd gen would be so awesome
hehe...i am in australia with an imported J30 RHD from japan,but mine doesnt have the antenna feature
Old 08-26-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by sleek3
hehe...i am in australia with an imported J30 RHD from japan,but mine doesnt have the antenna feature
man i dont know how you found it, he said he looked and theres very few in Japan and the few there are arent for sale. this was last year, i might get him to look again.

but now the government is being and the import rule is 25 years instead of 15 so i would have to wait until 2014 to even get a '89 3rd gen
Old 08-26-2010, 10:13 PM

man i dont know how you found it, he said he looked and theres very few in Japan and the few there are arent for sale. this was last year, i might get him to look again.

but now the government is being and the import rule is 25 years instead of 15 so i would have to wait until 2014 to even get a '89 3rd gen

i bought mine off a guy who had bought it a long time ago. that is why mine doesnt have fold down rear seats like the ones made here in australia. but its wierd. my side lights the corner lights are like every other 3rd gen here and they only turn on when the indicator turns on...i am thinking of rewiring them to the parkers so that they turn on with the parkers in the head lights
Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
when you say "imported" do you mean originally sold in japan, or nz ,or elsewhere?
interested in checking this out.
It was a 1992 model sold new in Japan and equipped with the VE30DE (all NZ new 3rd gen's had VG30E only), and imported to New Zealand in 1998 as a used import. There were just as many VG30E Maximas imported as there were VE30DE cars. Bringing in used import cars from Japan was a Government initiative to have more modern safer cars on the road. This started happening in the late 80's. New Zealand is RHD like Japan, so no issues with steering on the wrong side.

did you get it from Japan? i know a importer there and asked him and he said theres barely any 3rd gens in Japan, he couldnt even find me one.
They bought it from a car yard, which happened to be their local Nissan dealer, where my mum worked at the time. There is probably barely any left in Japan as they all ended up in New Zealand...lol. A car in Japan goes through a stringent roadworthy test when its 5yrs old. Mostly people just get rid of them and buy new cars.

Originally Posted by sleek3
i bought mine off a guy who had bought it a long time ago. that is why mine doesnt have fold down rear seats like the ones made here in australia. but its wierd. my side lights the corner lights are like every other 3rd gen here and they only turn on when the indicator turns on...i am thinking of rewiring them to the parkers so that they turn on with the parkers in the head lights
New Zealand was the only country with fold down rear seats as they were assembled in NZ with the seat adaption done by Nissan NZ. Australian models never had them either. The park/corner lights in the JDM imports, should be wired the same as the US models except without the US market marker lamps front and rear. NZ/Aussie new models have a small park light bulb mounted in the main headlight, and the cornering lights are used only when the indicator is used. The amber portion of the corner light, is smoked (factory clear corners) on the NZ models and doesnt do anything

Somes examples of JDM import Maximas on Trademe, which is New Zealands local version of ebay.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-313654466.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-310589108.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-310418600.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-297383954.htm
I dont know how many would have been imported, but it would be in the 1000's. Most had those alloy wheels. Externally they look the same as the USDM Maximas. The radios in the JDM Maximas wont receive our radio stations, as the FM frequency is 76-90mhz. NZ radios are 88-108mhz, so the use of a band expander is required so that you can receive most of the NZ stations. I have no idea how they work, but you plug it inline with the antenna cable and hook it up to a power source. When in operation, you need to add 10mhz (for the 10mhz expanders or +12 for the 12mhz expanders) to what the radio screen is showing, so 91.3FM is shown as 81.3 on the radio screen. Once you get used to it, its not that hard to live with.

Last edited by stevesmax; 08-27-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:46 PM

New Zealand was the only country with fold down rear seats as they were assembled in NZ with the seat adaption done by Nissan NZ. Australian models never had them either. The park/corner lights in the JDM imports, should be wired the same as the US models except without the US market marker lamps front and rear. NZ/Aussie new models have a small park light bulb mounted in the main headlight, and the cornering lights are used only when the indicator is used. The amber portion of the corner light, is smoked (factory clear corners) on the NZ models and doesnt do anything.
well this is only half true, my uncle has a 1992 model here in australia and he has fold down rear seats. now wether its a new zealand import or not i dont know. all i can see on it are australian plates in the engine bay
Old 08-29-2010, 07:50 PM

They bought it from a car yard, which happened to be their local Nissan dealer, where my mum worked at the time. There is probably barely any left in Japan as they all ended up in New Zealand...lol. A car in Japan goes through a stringent roadworthy test when its 5yrs old. Mostly people just get rid of them and buy new cars.
ah i see, 3rd gens also exceeded Japans car width limit at the time so that probably played a factor

about 4ish years before i got my 3rd gen i knew a guy in NZ with a S13 Silvia and RHD 3rd gen Max, i barely knew Maximas then and now i wish i still knew him so i could see if he would sell it when he got the Silvia i think he lost all interest in the 3rd gen