3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone put HID's in their 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:53 PM

Anyone put HID's in their 3rd gen?

I know its not proper to stick HIDs in a halogen housing. But I just noticed these kits on Ebay are cheaper than Sylvania halogens!

For my previous car, I spent like $150 for a no name HID kit. Now its just $35 bucks shipped. Anyone put em in or have pics of the light output?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:14 PM

This is a subject that has been touched on several times by members whose names I'm not going to mention right now. Have you tried doing a search on topic yet? I'm pretty sure you will find several threads regarding your topic. To answer your question 3rd gen housing whether euro or us are not designed for HID lighting.To get full advantage of the HID would be to use a projector. Which there is also halogen and xenon projectors. You have to get the right ones and retrofit (modifications). Only way to run a decent set of HIDs is to run bi-xenons. If you ask me its not worth all of that. But thats my opinion for my car. Do as you would like. Try asking James he I believe has HIDs in his blue VE.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

They are cheap for a reason.
and (as I said before), anyone who is disrespectful enough to run around with some **** like that in stock housings should die in a fiery accident.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Lots of work screwing with the 3rdGen Headlghts.......I think the best thing would be to supplement the halogen headlights with some HID Xenarc foglights and be 100% legal............
http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/xenon-hid.htm
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
and (as I said before), anyone who is disrespectful enough to run around with some **** like that in stock housings should die in a fiery accident.
"... die in a fiery accident." Don't you think thats a bit over exaggerated?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:16 PM

point taken, lol

guess I'll buy some brighter halogens
Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by maximo018
no.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 AM

You absolutely ignorant.

Go somewhere
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by mrood1986

You absolutely ignorant.

Go somewhere
speak English often?
also, have you ever looked at the output of an HID bulb from a halogen housing?
horrendous, low quality distribution which blinds oncoming drivers. it is a safety issue for other drivers.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 AM

speak English often?
also, have you ever looked at the output of an HID bulb from a halogen housing?
horrendous, low quality distribution which blinds oncoming drivers. it is a safety issue for other drivers.
No kid, I don't speak English ever.
Yes I have looked at the output of HID bulbs from a halogen housing
I have HIDs in both of my cars, my 5th gen and my corolla. My 5th gen has 02-03 housings though with stock HIDs. My corolla has stock housings with an HID kit. I have never been flashed by any oncoming driver
Aim them lower and there isnt as much of a problem. Yes, I am working on a retro fit for the car to have better lighting but them was just temporary.

The fact of the matter of you saying that I should die because of it is just ridiculous and ignorant. Go somewhere with your dumbasz and stop talking ****.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 AM

I have HIDs in both of my cars, my 5th gen and my corolla. My 5th gen has 02-03 housings though with stock HIDs. My corolla has stock housings with an HID kit. I have never been flashed by any oncoming driver
Aim them lower and there isnt as much of a problem. Yes, I am working on a retro fit for the car to have better lighting but them was just temporary.

The fact of the matter of you saying that I should die because of it is just ridiculous and ignorant. Go somewhere with your dumbasz and stop talking ****.
I do have to say the 02 housings are meant to have stock HIDs in them unless I'm wrong. So maybe glare isn't so bad.

But point taken on both sides, I won't be installing HIDs on my 94. Can't we all just get along heheh
Old 09-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

don't take it personal....i think he just don't like it when ppl put HIDs in a stock halogen housing. i don't think that he wants you to die but his reference is just showing how much he hates them.

so ease up on the language...it's your car...YOU do what YOU like.

who wants to be banned for a week? the sign up is below...
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by maximo018

have you had someone drive behind you with those HID's in a halogen housing??
f"ing nasty strong glare and pretty annoying after awhile...
Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I have HIDs in my E36 light setup. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I absolutely do not blind anybody (of course, Ben and Caped absolutely refuse to believe this and have attacked me as well). I took great care aiming my headlights down and using black paint on top of my custom enclosures to keep light from shining "up". I've driven it around behind friends testing this, as well as had my brother drive my car around extensively so I could experience it as another driver would - and I swear up and down nobody is even hardly blinded.

BUT I must say that I did the aiming/customizing before installing the HIDs while I was running straight halogens. I did NOT re-aim them as a result of installing the HIDs. What I had already done for the best halogen light output I left for the HIDs.

Honestly, the only aftermarket HID sets that usually blind me (and yes it is annoying) are the ones put in trucks, SUVs, and "donks". But then again, trucks, SUVs, and "donks" routinely blind me even with stock halogens, largely as a function of their height.

It's simply untrue that HIDs in stock housings always blind other drivers. If that is true in any one application, you can likely aim the headlights down enough to largely alleviate the problem. Of course, you (the HID owner) have to be cognizant enough to truly care enough about other drivers to "test" your setup and genuinely not use them if you can't get them aimed properly or if the light is so splayed out that there's simply no hope.

I haven't seen HIDs in stock 3rd gen housings (I might try a 5000k ish set on my black VE just to see), but I suspect they could be aimed down enough to not blind people. 3rd gen headlights have quite a lot of adjustability compared with many other cars. Also, being lowered gives you more leeway, as it automatically starts your beams effectively aimed lower.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM

ya, the only reason I asked is because the ballasts are so cheap now. And I wanted pics of a 3rd gen stock housing with HID.

Before my Max, I had a 01 Galant. Clear housing and all but glare wasn't that bad. Course retrofitting with projectors would be a lot better but not all of us know how to do that properly.

I can only speak for the H4 bulbs, I think manufacturers are more aware of this problem and have added a metal shield to block some of the glare.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by gladiator
ya, the only reason I asked is because the ballasts are so cheap now. And I wanted pics of a 3rd gen stock housing with HID.

Before my Max, I had a 01 Galant. Clear housing and all but glare wasn't that bad. Course retrofitting with projectors would be a lot better but not all of us know how to do that properly.

I can only speak for the H4 bulbs, I think manufacturers are more aware of this problem and have added a metal shield to block some of the glare.
They'll look good but they will blind everyone, this dude I use to work with had them on his 3rdgen and I like how they look but they do blind everyone. Problem is that nobody make's plug/play projection headlights lenses to put them in, you have to fabricate or get e36bmw's and mod them, pain inda assss!!!

Last edited by shiloh51933; 09-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
have you had someone drive behind you with those HID's in a halogen housing??
f"ing nasty strong glare and pretty annoying after awhile...
I hate it every time I see it. Hence why my 1st post was against the whole idea, but its not my car. Being surrounded by ricers all the time thats all they talk about. And I have to break it down to them why its not a good idea. Just because their out there doesn't mean you need them.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by gladiator

so try and do what some of us did or find someone that can fab them up for you like what i did here: http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...st-fitted.html
Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 PM

GRNMAXDMON what kind of light kit is that on your nissan. I'm trying to find that kit for my 92.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:31 AM

Well I had Bi-Xenon on my 86.5 Hardbody which were fitted with Hella Halogen housings. They came with a glare shields built in....they allowed the light to shine upward against upper halogen housing reflector, throwing the light downward, while blocking the light from the lower housing reflector which reflector the light upwardly!!! With a few adjustments of the lights I was putting down major light with minor glare issues......

Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 PM

i have a 89 maxima, i was thinking of putting hid's in. so its a bad idea?
Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jeremeep
i have a 89 maxima, i was thinking of putting hid's in. so its a bad idea?
have you even read the first few posts in this thread? read posts 3 and 9
Old 09-18-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by kingscrappy
GRNMAXDMON what kind of light kit is that on your nissan. I'm trying to find that kit for my 92.
are you talking about the headlight setup?

Bi-xenon Headlights:
E36 3-series headlight housing
E60 5-series bi-xenon projectors with xenon bulbs
euro-spec 3rd gen maxima clear lens

Regular Headlights:
E36 3-series headlights
'04 Nissan Murano H.I.D. Ballast and Ignitors with 12000K Violet Blue bulbs
Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
are you talking about the headlight setup?

Bi-xenon Headlights:
E36 3-series headlight housing
E60 5-series bi-xenon projectors with xenon bulbs
euro-spec 3rd gen maxima clear lens

Regular Headlights:
E36 3-series headlights
'04 Nissan Murano H.I.D. Ballast and Ignitors with 12000K Violet Blue bulbs
Thanks for letting me know what type of headlights.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by kingscrappy
Thanks for letting me know what type of headlights.
no problem
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 PM

This has been asked before and I was one to ask a while ago... The light output is great yes you can see more but I live where there is nothing but trees so I bought a pair of HIDs for about $36 12000k so it was a purple I had the headlight aimed towards the ground a little and with the bigger G35 wheels on back the car was already lower in the front so yeah I didn't get any flashes from people on the other side of the road but they are bright... I have also had a lot of these jerks drive behind me with the dark blue HIDs on pick up trucks and that is annoying... another thing mine were only low beam... i said were because i took them off because they had a shortage somewhere and they would just cut off on me on a dark road so yeah like all these other guys should be say...

They are annoying and yes you will get a ticket if the cops flash you for ur light being too bright... I got a ticket for have my stock bright lights on and refused to turn them off but he let me slide because deer are heavy here...

BUT ITS YOUR CAR... DO WHAT YOU FEEL... JUST EXPECT SOME PROBLEMS... AND FOR $36 I GOT WHAT I PAID FOR...IF YOU ASK ME USE THAT MONEY AND PUT IT INTO THE ENGINE OR SOMEWHERE ELSE...

@BEN I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM... BE EAZY HOMIE...