3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

93 SE exterior problems... any inexpensive remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 PM

93 SE exterior problems... any inexpensive remedy?

1. Oxidation: Is there any fix for this kind of oxidation? Big parts of clear coat were eaten. I tried wet sanding using a 1000grit paper to remove the white marks but it's no good. I even tried using showtime clay. If I apply clear coat to this, will the white marks disappear? And what brand of glossy clear coat is the most scratch resistant to use? What's the difference of a chip guard and a scratch resistant paint?

2. Fog light: I'm trying to use my fog lights by pushing the button below the instrument panel but there's no light. I'm not sure if having a driver's fog light broken has any connection with this. I bought this car in this condition and I don't know how long it was broken. I'm also planning to replace them with rectangular ones also but I don't know what would fit. Has anyone changed their fog lights to non-OEM?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 PM

As far as the fog lights go, I have a gxe that didnt come with fog lights, they are rectangular, and they work fine for me. Although some places still carry the square ones that look like the OEM ones. If you look at my pics I think I have one with the fog lights showing although they are called driving lights.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 AM

Clear coat remedy: book 2 weeks off during summer ( unless you live in Texas of course ) either way warm weather but not sweltering.

Purchase loads of sand paper, starting at 320 up to 2000 wet dry.

Sand in grades until all paint edges are removed (they feel like ridges under your fingers). This can take a while, depending on the size of the area you are doing. Don't sand in one spot for too long. DON'T sand in a circular motion.

once all paint edges removed and last grit used was 2000 wet dry, apply coat of clear.

If however, during sanding you go through to primer, bog or bare metal, it needs to be primed and recoated with the paint colour.

Bear in mind the above is a very brief summary of about 1 year at trade school as an automotive painter and is not intended to be a complete information package, as that would consume more time then you or I have, but its the gist. If you are deterred by this process, simply grab a spray can of colour and hit the whole roof, though quality and longevity of the paint job is proportional to the time and effort spent doing it.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 AM

Try Maaco...it deserves a paint job even a cheap one.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maxkiller
Clear coat remedy: book 2 weeks off during summer ( unless you live in Texas of course ) either way warm weather but not sweltering.

Purchase loads of sand paper, starting at 320 up to 2000 wet dry.

Sand in grades until all paint edges are removed (they feel like ridges under your fingers). This can take a while, depending on the size of the area you are doing. Don't sand in one spot for too long. DON'T sand in a circular motion.

once all paint edges removed and last grit used was 2000 wet dry, apply coat of clear.

If however, during sanding you go through to primer, bog or bare metal, it needs to be primed and recoated with the paint colour.

Bear in mind the above is a very brief summary of about 1 year at trade school as an automotive painter and is not intended to be a complete information package, as that would consume more time then you or I have, but its the gist. If you are deterred by this process, simply grab a spray can of colour and hit the whole roof, though quality and longevity of the paint job is proportional to the time and effort spent doing it.
I've been thinking that if I have to paint it anyways, I'll change its color. What if I use a paint stripper to remove the paint? Is bondo interchangeable with a filler primer? What is the proper repainting sequence of layers?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 PM

Sell it and buy one that's not green or blue, they both suffer from this problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Laevateinn
I've been thinking that if I have to paint it anyways, I'll change its color. What if I use a paint stripper to remove the paint? Is bondo interchangeable with a filler primer? What is the proper repainting sequence of layers?
If you strip the paint then you will have to fill prime and sand the whole car back, then prime again, sand with wet dry, apply colour coats (however many, 2-3 should suffice) then clear coat. I don't know what bonding is, I'm from Australia.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maxkiller
If you strip the paint then you will have to fill prime and sand the whole car back, then prime again, sand with wet dry, apply colour coats (however many, 2-3 should suffice) then clear coat. I don't know what bonding is, I'm from Australia.
bondo is a widely used brand of body filler putty here in the US.