3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I accidentally...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by James92SE
So what exactly is the deal with not wanting to give it any gas at take-off though?

I mean, okay - you don't have to give it gas to initially take off, but then don't you just have to immediately give it gas to accelerate? I guess it just seems somewhat trivial to me because it seems to only "save" you a split second of "work"

Though I do get what you guys mean by "twitchier", I have definitely noticed that. IMHO I think, if anything, the lightened flywheel forces you to become more "skilled" (for lack of a better word) with working the clutch though. For example, my buddy who came from his first stick shift being an '04 Mustang GT, the dude had the hardest time trying to drive a "normal" car that didn't have so much torque. He couldn't hardly drive his Civic when he bought it because he was so used to all the torque making up for his inattentive/inexperienced working of the clutch and gas. He couldn't even hardly drive my stock VE 5's over the years. He'd either completely kill it at takeoff each time, or ride the **** out of the clutch.

I definitely nowadays understand why. Because him learning on the Mustang gave him the sense of being better at it than he really was since he was able to INSTANTLY drive his GT without ANY previous experience - but that was only because the torque advantage never forced him to learn the nuances of working the clutch/gas together.

Anyway, I'm rambling
you trivialize it, but yeah, that's part of it.. heavier flywheel makes the engine feel bigger and more stable. and also my shifting speed is limited by the tranny anyhow, so it makes no sense having a flywheel on the car that lets me rev the engine down on an up shift (or up for a downshift) faster than i can move the gearstick, only to have to manually match revs mid-declutch to keep things smooth (which usually results in a loud pop/clunk due to the aforementioned mount/axle issues)

If the tranny shifted lightning fast then maybe the Fidanza would make more sense, espeicially if i planned on doing SCCA or autocross or something. But it's just a DD and the tranny has ~140k on it, so it doesn't move between gears as quick as it did when it was new and the synchros were in their prime. Hoping the Redline MT90 helps with that a bit tho.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-14-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Really? on an upshift your RPM falls that quickly? or you dont shift it fast enough to catch it before the RPM drops? I dont have that experience with my VE 5speeds, but maybe the VE tranny is a different animal

I see what James is saying about driving a torquier engine versus the opposite, For what its worth though i still have to give my Z28 some throttle to get it moving
Old 10-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Maximan190
Really? on an upshift your RPM falls that quickly? or you dont shift it fast enough to catch it before the RPM drops? I dont have that experience with my VE 5speeds, but maybe the VE tranny is a different animal

I see what James is saying about driving a torquier engine versus the opposite, For what its worth though i still have to give my Z28 some throttle to get it moving
it's a combination of the two, the fidanza's lack of inertia combined with the a slightly sluggish tranny (mine's a VE VLSD tranny too, just mounted to a VG motor). If i get on the gas to try to bring the revs back up, it's too easy to overcompensate (again, lack of mass of Fidanza), and the engine re-revs to where it was before the shift (if not higher) which is just as bad, and sounds even dumber to passer-by on the street.

I'm not saying i expect it to take off at full speed without using any gas.. yes, gas is needed to get the car going, but i like the reslience that the extra flywheel mass provides in terms of being more forgiving on low-rpm launches.. ie accidental upward dwitch of the foot mid-launch won't result in insta-bog or insta-stall like it does now..

tho again i realize that a big part of my problems are the shifty mounts which allow the clutch to fully lock up when you let off the gas, even if you haven't gotten all the way off the clutch yet.

so hence my plans to a) switch the flywheel out b) use high quality GL4 tranny fluid and c) fix the motor/trans/subframe mounts all at the same time.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

and if you wanna talk about what a vehicle can do without giving it any gas at all... this is my truck. on a slight uphill grade. with no gas until my 4-2 downshift (rpm spikes are due to the idle-up valve being slow to close when i push the clutch in)

(click for video)
Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

finally got around to pouring the mounts tonight.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

what did you use on the bottom to hold it in? pics aren't too clear on that part.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by BenStoked
what did you use on the bottom to hold it in? pics aren't too clear on that part.
Looks like clear packing-type tape to me.

That's a great idea with the threaded rods and bolts to set the mounts on the side completely horizontal. Wish I would have thought of that years ago
Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
Looks like clear packing-type tape to me.

That's a great idea with the threaded rods and bolts to set the mounts on the side completely horizontal. Wish I would have thought of that years ago
yeah, clear packing tape. wasn't as good of a leakproofer as i'd hoped tho... and partly my fault for not letting the poly thicken up for 5-10 minutes before pouring it. so, since the tape partially failed and the stuff was so runny i had to use 2 cans of poly when i probably could have otherwise just used 1.

but yea the threaded rod n nut thing was pretty nice, but pricey. something like $35 just for the hardware.

also i can't believe how good those pics came out for being taken on my phone

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-16-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
yeah, clear packing tape. wasn't as good of a leakproofer as i'd hoped tho... and partly my fault for not letting the poly thicken up for 5-10 minutes before pouring it. so, since the tape partially failed and the stuff was so runny i had to use 2 cans of poly when i probably could have otherwise just used 1.

but yea the threaded rod n nut thing was pretty nice, but pricey. something like $35 just for the hardware.

also i can't believe how good those pics came out for being taken on my phone
I always forget to let it thicken up first too. Even with my best seal up efforts I always get a ton leak out.

They are good pics.. what kind of phone? I've always been amazed at the quality of pictures my iPhone 4 used to take and my new 4S takes even better ones. Cell phones have come a long way

I haven't used my normal point and shoot camera in over a year and a half. Plus, it's way more convenient on the phone as I can instantly upload them to photobucket and don't have to screw with the USB cable transfer to the computer, then going to photobucket's website and uploading, etc
Old 10-16-2011, 04:49 PM
ujm

I'm really glad to see the CapedCadaver back. You have always been very helpful and I appreciate that very much.

Looking forward to seeing the progress -

And finding myself some of that polyurethane, interesting stuff, I'd like to mold some new rear wheel cush drives for my motorcycle.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I always forget to let it thicken up first too. Even with my best seal up efforts I always get a ton leak out.

They are good pics.. what kind of phone? I've always been amazed at the quality of pictures my iPhone 4 used to take and my new 4S takes even better ones. Cell phones have come a long way

I haven't used my normal point and shoot camera in over a year and a half. Plus, it's way more convenient on the phone as I can instantly upload them to photobucket and don't have to screw with the USB cable transfer to the computer, then going to photobucket's website and uploading, etc
sprint's version of the Samsung Galaxy S II [Epic 4g Touch]. Longest ******* phone name ever.....

i'm so happy that this time around, i have 2 cars (well 3 if you count the Z, it has no license plate) so it's no big deal waiting a full week for the mounts to cure before installing them. Last time i made a poly mount, the max was my only car, so i was chomping at the bit to put it back in asap which was a bad idea.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-16-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ujm
I'm really glad to see the CapedCadaver back. You have always been very helpful and I appreciate that very much.

Looking forward to seeing the progress -

And finding myself some of that polyurethane, interesting stuff, I'd like to mold some new rear wheel cush drives for my motorcycle.
i get mine here.. i usedc the 94A black. it took about 1.3 of the 1lb cans.. if i'd let it thicken before pouring i could have got away with 1 1lb can.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#urethane-casting-compounds
Old 10-17-2011, 01:02 PM

i get mine here.. i usedc the 94A black. it took about 1.3 of the 1lb cans.. if i'd let it thicken before pouring i could have got away with 1 1lb can.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#urethane-casting-compounds
Good, I was about to ask you that...wanna cast some mounts for the Z when I swap in the VG I'm rebuilding for it.
I filled the VE mounts with 3M window weld and it's been perfect. I'm sticking with rubber on the tranny mount though.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Good, I was about to ask you that...wanna cast some mounts for the Z when I swap in the VG I'm rebuilding for it.
I filled the VE mounts with 3M window weld and it's been perfect. I'm sticking with rubber on the tranny mount though.
well for a z31 you can get alot of the poly stuff already made here:

http://www.z31parts.com/polyparts.html
Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

in which tonight, i remembered how much i ******* HATE removing inner tie rods from these cars.....
Old 10-17-2011, 08:40 PM

in which tonight, i remembered how much i ******* HATE removing inner tie rods from these cars.....
Quite a PITA when the motor is in. Luckily I did mine with the motor removed.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i have the trans removed, but the motor's still in. only the driver side inner is bad tho, so i only had to take off the one that was on the 'open' side.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Is it possible to fill a new mount with the poly, so i won't have as much vibration, cause i hate vibration but enjoy a bit of performance or is this pointless?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by coolsun
Is it possible to fill a new mount with the poly, so i won't have as much vibration, cause i hate vibration but enjoy a bit of performance or is this pointless?
unless your mounts are TOTALLY gone, then a poly mount will increase vibration, not reduce it.... so a V6 won't vibrate as bad as a 4 cylinder for multiple reasons but there will be an increase in vibration at idle and, for manual cars, when under load at low rpm (you can't really put an automatic under that much load at low rpm due to the way the torque converter slips, and the fact that it'll downshift by itself if RPM is too low).

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-26-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
No turbo, no care!

finally got around to pouring the mounts tonight.
Hey, you copied my design with the larger center pin! Frankly I think you should have made it larger, but I'm very curious to see how yours performs. When do you think you will install and be able to review them?

I've said this before, but this design has by far been the most successful of many. There really is NO noticeable increase in vibration at any RPM, massive reduction in wheel hop and even torque steer. This all in a turbo maxima, so the effects should be more so with NA power.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM

I may be late *i hope im not* but, are you willing to part ways with the flywheel and intrax springs?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM

unless your mounts are TOTALLY gone, then a poly mount will increase vibration, not reduce it.... so a V6 won't vibrate as bad as a 4 cylinder for multiple reasons but there will be an increase in vibration at idle and, for manual cars, when under load at low rpm (you can't really put an automatic under that much load at low rpm due to the way the torque converter slips, and the fact that it'll downshift by itself if RPM is too low).
alrighty, so its kinda of a waste to make a hybrid regular rubber/poly thanks man
Old 10-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Hey, you copied my design with the larger center pin! Frankly I think you should have made it larger, but I'm very curious to see how yours performs. When do you think you will install and be able to review them?

I've said this before, but this design has by far been the most successful of many. There really is NO noticeable increase in vibration at any RPM, massive reduction in wheel hop and even torque steer. This all in a turbo maxima, so the effects should be more so with NA power.

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/maxturbo91/MMCenterPinSMALL.jpg[/IfMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/maxturbo91/croppedMMbigsleave.jpg[/IfMG]
hopefully soon... waiting on Nissan to ship me a new driverside hub, since the inner race of the wheel bearing was not even holding onto it anymore due to a non-tightened axle nut. So once i get that, i can get the front end of the car reassembled. I'm doing inner tierod/boots too, so i'm leaving the trans off until i finish that to give me more room to work.

Originally Posted by vgkid
I may be late *i hope im not* but, are you willing to part ways with the flywheel and intrax springs?
i still have them. pm me if you want them. the rear springs are still on the car at the moment tho, since my sloped driveway means it's only safe to lift one end of the car at a time. Once i finish my work on the front i'll flip it around and swap the rear springs out also.

Originally Posted by coolsun
alrighty, so its kinda of a waste to make a hybrid regular rubber/poly thanks man
yea i would do all or nothing. The different compressability of the poly vs the rubber will somewhat diminish the positive effects of using poly, tho still better than nothing.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

FINALLY got the mounts installed. also put new xmember mounting pads, since the ones on there were pretty jacked up.

old smashed on left, new on right

speaks for itself
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 AM

...speaks for itself

There's still life in those...at least they're still roundish!

Last edited by nc90gxe; 11-07-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by nc90gxe
...speaks for itself

There's still life in those...at least they're still roundish!
yes of course, those are the special "asymmetrical three-piece" bushings...

finally got my knuckles back with new wheel bearings and one new hub (the other one was machined away by the bad bearing). Those should be going back on tomorrow, which means i *might* have the whole front end of the car back together tomorrow, which means i might be able to crank it up tomorrow and spin it around in the driveway to do the rear end.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

getting closer

front end is together minus tightening the tranny mount and brake caliper bolts, axle nuts and tierod jam nuts.

Name:  F3ey9l.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  41.5 KB
Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 PM

getting closer

front end is together minus tightening the tranny mount and brake caliper bolts, axle nuts and tierod jam nuts.

You just enjoy workin on her don'tchya? I know da feelin mang.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

awakened from her slumber today....

Name:  KViC1l.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  37.0 KB
Old 11-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

having 4 poly mounts is actually pretty rough tho... but for $100bucks (including what i paid for the threaded rod and washers/nuts) it was worth a shot to avoid paying $450 for new OEM mounts.

gonna get just the 2 OEM tranny side mounts and put those on, since the crossmember at least has rubber pads on it to absorb some of the NVH.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 AM

Yup my engine mounts are poly and tranny mounts are rubber...nice mix. Did the parallel links, trailing arms, rear stabilizer bar bushing and links. Mevotech reinforced rear strut mount. Front got new spring hats, dust cover, strut bearing, mounts, EMPI axles, eBay LCA's and KYB struts and inserts. I did it all at once for the full effect. Costly but worth it IMO.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Yup my engine mounts are poly and tranny mounts are rubber...nice mix. Did the parallel links, trailing arms, rear stabilizer bar bushing and links. Mevotech reinforced rear strut mount. Front got new spring hats, dust cover, strut bearing, mounts, EMPI axles, eBay LCA's and KYB struts and inserts. I did it all at once for the full effect. Costly but worth it IMO.
yeah i did most of those things.. using Tokicos tho. still gotta do the rear links and springs/strutmounts and then take it to the alignment shop. But i really don't wanna drive it until i swap on the rubber trans mounts because i'm just not really interested to drive it when i can't hear the radio over the rattling interior pieces.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM

yeah i did most of those things.. using Tokicos tho. still gotta do the rear links and springs/strutmounts and then take it to the alignment shop. But i really don't wanna drive it until i swap on the rubber trans mounts because i'm just not really interested to drive it when i can't hear the radio over the rattling interior pieces.
Get it done, I guarantee you'll be loving it. But you already know that.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Get it done, I guarantee you'll be loving it. But you already know that.
what hardness of poly did you use? the 80a or the 94a? or something else? Granted, i have 2 broken studs on the same exhaust port and i can definitely feel the car thumping due to the exhaust leak.. i wonder how much smoother it would be if not for that leak.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 11-10-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM

what hardness of poly did you use? the 80a or the 94a? or something else? Granted, i have 2 broken studs on the same exhaust port and i can definitely feel the car thumping due to the exhaust leak.. i wonder how much smoother it would be if not for that leak.
I used 3M Window weld, I looked at it yesterday when I did a oil change. No cracks after a year of DD use.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I used 3M Window weld, I looked at it yesterday when I did a oil change. No cracks after a year of DD use.
o ok. hard to compare it to what i used then since it doesn't have an official rating like the mcmaster poly does.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Is it really that rough for you? I've always used 80A and never really noticed much added vibration.

Did you use the 94A? If so, that coupled with the much larger center pin I can see how it'd be noticeably rougher.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Is it really that rough for you? I've always used 80A and never really noticed much added vibration.

Did you use the 94A? If so, that coupled with the much larger center pin I can see how it'd be noticeably rougher.
yea i used 94A. sadly the trans mounts are on backorder from Courtesy so i'll be next weekend (not this coming weekend) before i can put them on, i think. I can drive the car around if i have to but since the alignment isn't done yet i'm not going to actually go anywhere in it.

startup, and driving down the street. I know there's only so much you can tell from the sound, but it's definitely nothing like oem. Granted the exhaust leak is probably contributing quite a bit....

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 11-11-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Sounds like mine. Only I used 80 and filled all my mounts.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM

this is unrelated but how good it the interior room in a z31 compared to a maxima(driver seat)? i have always wanted one but havent had a chance to sit in one. i ask because im a tall fat guy and leg/head room is important. i have the seat all the way back in my maxima (3rd gen) and its about perfect.

Last edited by max_overdrive; 11-14-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: I accidentally...