3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

which is the best gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 12:33 AM

which is the best gas?

i don't know about other maximas, but mine is INCREDIBLY picky! i can't use cheap gas and i can't use the 87 i have to use the 89. she rarely likes texaco or chevron and i'm testing her liking of exxon. if i put anything in her she makes a wierd clicky/tappy noise when i accelerate. does anyone else have this problem?? which is the best gas???
thanx
Old 12-28-2001, 03:05 AM

Same Here

I always put SHELL gas,(not promoting).... But people have told me not to use high octane gas b/c the fact that my Max is 10 Years old.. So i use the 87... My be i'll upgrade to 89 or 91... But for those out there... does it really make a drastict difference... HELP!!!! I do want to treat my Maxima right... Does fuel octane boodt help.. or those fuel cleaners....

But Ihave not usedd anything but shell since I got her... mybe mobile.. but god i ran out of gass... kill me.. but i would never use the Gasteria or gulf brand gas... i might as welll put watee in my tanks...lol
Old 12-28-2001, 03:22 AM

Re: Same Here

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
I always put SHELL gas,(not promoting).... But people have told me not to use high octane gas b/c the fact that my Max is 10 Years old.. So i use the 87... My be i'll upgrade to 89 or 91... But for those out there... does it really make a drastict difference... HELP!!!! I do want to treat my Maxima right... Does fuel octane boodt help.. or those fuel cleaners....

But Ihave not usedd anything but shell since I got her... mybe mobile.. but god i ran out of gass... kill me.. but i would never use the Gasteria or gulf brand gas... i might as welll put watee in my tanks...lol

is there really a place called the gasteria?? that's kinda interesting - stupid - but still interesting
Old 12-28-2001, 04:23 AM

Yes there is

lots in nyc manhattan area...lol "GASTERIA"
Old 12-28-2001, 07:55 AM

i used cheveron, some gas makes my car feel sluggish
Old 12-28-2001, 08:17 AM

Re: Same Here

I normally put in Mobil (93) octane. Now I use Sunoco (94)octane. I really see a difference in performance by using the (94)
Old 12-28-2001, 08:32 AM
STFU n00b!

can't feed mine less than 91, otherwise it bogs and chugs and generally runs like s**t.

Usually I use Texaco 93, but when I'm on trips I don't have much of a choice in what I can find. around here, there's tons of Conoco, Texaco and Phillips stations.
there's also a lot of Amoco (BP) stations, but I don't mess with them.

Exxon and Mobil are WAAAY overpriced and hard to find here.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:34 AM

i ALWAYS put super 93 in at Exxon every tuesday...tiger tuesdays!
Old 12-28-2001, 12:01 PM

I've been using Costco gas ever since I got my car, except on trips, but I just filled up on Chevron this last time. Some of my other cars got much better MPG's on Chevron so we'll see how the Max likes it.

Oh yeah, and never under 91 octane.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Costco makes gas??? Not up here they don't. Do you have to buy it 100 gallons at a time, and I dunno about the US, but is it called something like "Kirkland Premium" ?

I just stick with the major brands up here (Shell, Chevron, PetroCanada, Esso (Exxon)) and use 92 octane. So far I haven't noticed much difference.

I use 92 octane, but I have the 190HP VE engine, so it probably needs it more and is recommened by the manual. I don't know about the VG, but it might work okay with regular (87). Check the manual.

Octane boosters are a waste of money unless you're racing or can't get high octane. Injector cleaners probably aren't needed more than a couple times a year, or as needed (rough idle, etc). (Many premium gases like Chevron's come with some cleaning additives anyway).

==> crazy4maxima, that advice you got seems backwards! Typically as cars get old their octane requirements go UP because carbon deposits form on the piston tops (and elsewhere in the combustion chamber), raising the compression ratio and making it more susceptable to knocking or pinging.

If your car runs no better on 92/93 than it does on lower octane, then I'd save the money and stick with lower octane. If you want to use premium anyway, it hurts nothing but your pocketbook.
Old 12-28-2001, 01:45 PM

Octane Boost is the sht

LOL my car stalled once and some guy told me to buy some octane booter... so i went to pepboys and saw a box with NOS on it... it was NOS octane booster,,, it was on sale that weekend like 2 $4 or somethin so i dumped both in to my gas tank (with the tank half-full)..DUDE i sware the car never went faster, i was pealing around every turn. I never had a stalling/ shaking problem since. this stuff is good, i would buy it again if it was not $5 a pop!
Old 12-28-2001, 02:44 PM

Well I have heard from an overwhelming number of people that Shell gas is the worst. I believe the best imho is Mobil 93 oct. Mobil always makes good **** and deffinitly not the most expensive brand either. I use Citgo as well because its cheap and my car runs fine on it. The only thing that my friend pointed out to me was that citgo gas turns the inside of your gas cap a reddish color...i guess due to their additives and stuff.

Later
Old 12-28-2001, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Bman
Costco makes gas??? Not up here they don't. Do you have to buy it 100 gallons at a time, and I dunno about the US, but is it called something like "Kirkland Premium" ?
LOL, Costco itself does not make anything. Gas is like any other product in the store, they buy it in huge amounts, and sell it to you.

I'm not sure of the quality, but around here, Costco gas was always at least $.15/gal cheaper than everything else. Plus you have to use your membership card to buy gas, so the lines are usually reasonable.

I think the "Kirkland Premium" is only 100 octane tho...
Old 12-28-2001, 03:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Lordrandall
LOL, Costco itself does not make anything. Gas is like any other product in the store, they buy it in huge amounts, and sell it to you.
Umm, er, yeah, that's what I meant: SELLS GAS. Heh. I must still be reeling from your straaaaange wheel desires!
Old 12-28-2001, 08:37 PM

Sunoco or Mobil 93 Because the little gas door sticker says so
It actualy says Premium Fuel Recomended for maximum performance
Old 12-28-2001, 09:38 PM

Re: Octane Boost is the sht

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
LOL my car stalled once and some guy told me to buy some octane booter... so i went to pepboys and saw a box with NOS on it... it was NOS octane booster,,, it was on sale that weekend like 2 $4 or somethin so i dumped both in to my gas tank (with the tank half-full)..DUDE i sware the car never went faster, i was pealing around every turn. I never had a stalling/ shaking problem since. this stuff is good, i would buy it again if it was not $5 a pop!
i'm gonna try that stuff...sounds pretty cool
Old 12-28-2001, 10:55 PM

Re: Yes there is

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
lots in nyc manhattan area...lol "GASTERIA"

The only ones who use "Gaseteria" are the taxi cabs. Nonetheless, all the Gaseteria stations are owned by former cab drivers.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:43 AM

Re: Re: Yes there is

Originally posted by superdesi

The only ones who use "Gaseteria" are the taxi cabs. Nonetheless, all the Gaseteria stations are owned by former cab drivers.

Old 12-29-2001, 07:26 AM

Re: Octane Boost is the sht

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
I haven't heard of this before. Do you need a NOS system to run it, or is it just some addative? Were there any long term effects?

On the topic of different types of gas, my mom's had the max for about 9 years. Since I don't have the VE engine (I wish i did), she's been putting basic 89 octane gas in. It doesn't really hurt the car, and the VG is just fine handeling it, but recently I put some 91 octane in and I noticed a mild difference. I little bit more of a pull on the lower gears. I'm gonna try 93 octane next time my tank runs low. If you're gonna use low octane gas, it doesn't really matter what place you go to. Just stay away from the no-name gas. One of my friends dad worked for Texaco as the regional manager or something (he gets paid in the 6 digits) and now works for Shell. He even said that 89 octane Albertsons gas is fine. Once you start takin a step up, though, is when you want to start going to more reputable gas stations. Trust me, this guy has been working for gas companies his whole life - he knows his ****.

My friends gettin his 325i soon so his dad has an excuse to go buy an M5 or somethin. I wish I could get that 325i. He took great car of it, but he drives that thing HARD...and all the time. Hasn't had many problems with it, though.
Old 01-01-2002, 12:27 AM

i've always put the best in my maxima. i like exxon 93 octane. i never use lower than 93 octane since i've heard that it makes fuel injectors dirty. plus don't all maxima's deserve the best they can get.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:44 PM
Large Member

Yes they sure do D-sta!