3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

had 2 races lastnight, might have to say i'm alittle dissapointed in the VE

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 10:22 AM

had 2 races lastnight, might have to say i'm alittle dissapointed in the VE

First i saw a 92-92 GXE maxima fly onto the freeway on my way to boise. He was hauling *** trying to get infront of people so i followed him, finally we break free squeezing through a hole and he guns it and i follow. Up i INCHED and i mean INCHED up on him from 80-120 when finally it looks like he shut down or hit a govenor, in that hole span of 80-120 i gained maybe 6 feet on him. Was stock to from what i could tell.

Next was a Acura Integra, didn't see which one didn't see a badge. All i saw were cali plates and a tip, and we punched it side by side and stayed the same, maybe after like 40 seconds of dead even racing i started inching away, i could hear an intake though, car was loud and actually sounded good.

I dunno the VE feels fast but i'm starting to wonder if my VG can't keep up with it. Not to mention since i got it all i worry about is the damn VTC's. I always think they're going out, or they sound fine.

Driving me NUTS!
Old 01-01-2002, 10:30 AM

Yea i have to agree somtimes im dissapointed when im racing people on the highway, i want my car to just take off and leave people in the dust, oh well just got to put in some more mods. What kind of mods do u have?
Old 01-01-2002, 10:41 AM

uh
clear corners, and rewired corners.

after lastnight i think i'm going to order a CAI on my credit card, even though i hate using that damned thing, tool of the devil !!
Old 01-01-2002, 04:28 PM
STFU n00b!

free mods:
1. clean the intake manifold and throttle body.. BIG help.
2. advance ignition timing. use only good (91+ octane) gas.

cheap mods:
CAI
UDP

that's all I've done to mine in performance department and I'm running 15 flat at the track. I kill Moostang GTs almost daily. (whenever they're dumb enough to race me)
Old 01-01-2002, 06:01 PM

you think the ignition coils could be shot or something?
i mean yeah it feels quick as hell but when i actually race something it doesn't pull away like i thought it would. especially the VG.
-shrug-

how do you clean the intake and throttle body? do you run some kind of solvent through them or just with a rag?
Old 01-01-2002, 06:06 PM

I don't know man but my vg isn't anywhere as quick as the ve on the highway.
You were in the right gear right?
Old 01-01-2002, 06:09 PM
Ford Only.

Well, you can never get a fair race on the highway on surface streets. Think of this, if the other driver floors it 2-3 seconds before you. That is a 2-3 sec. head start. He is already climbing and you are starting to. You never get a fair race!
Old 01-01-2002, 06:30 PM

yeah i know he did floor it before me, cause i had to sqeeze through the hole he shot through.

And i downshifted to 3rd and just let it climb up.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Sith
yeah i know he did floor it before me, cause i had to sqeeze through the hole he shot through.

And i downshifted to 3rd and just let it climb up.
well the good news is....uve got a 5spd!!
Old 01-01-2002, 07:51 PM

About cleaning the intake and throttle body, I think CraigSB..I don't remember his complete name, has a webpage all about it. It's really easy. Or I'm sure Matt can tell you. He's also very knowledgable about this stuff, as you can see. And when you advance your timing...Do it VERY carefully! Too far or in the wrong direction, and you're gonna need a new engine!
Old 01-01-2002, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by crusher84
About cleaning the intake and throttle body, I think CraigSB..I don't remember his complete name, has a webpage all about it. It's really easy. Or I'm sure Matt can tell you. He's also very knowledgable about this stuff, as you can see. And when you advance your timing...Do it VERY carefully! Too far or in the wrong direction, and you're gonna need a new engine!
id like to know how to clean the throttle body!!
Old 01-01-2002, 09:06 PM

here ya go boys. thank craig

http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/maxima/tb/tb.html
Old 01-02-2002, 07:37 AM
STFU n00b!

How to clean throttle body......

1. read this entire post very carefully before you do anything.

2. press the "BACK" button on your browser, to return to the 3rd gen Discussion page.

3. press "PAGE UP" button, so that you're at the top of the page.

4. look for the two posts at the very top entitled "MAX FAQs"

5. click on those, then read through everything in there, including the links (several with obvious descriptions of what they're linked to.)

6. Go outside and do the job, according to those directions.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:26 AM

uh
clear corners, and rewired corners.

after lastnight i think i'm going to order a CAI on my credit card, even though i hate using that damned thing, tool of the devil !!
You said that right!
Old 01-02-2002, 09:29 AM

Matt; this Coolant Bypass free modification I did is working like a charm. Can you find out what coolant lines are running in a pass through measure on the VE plenum? I can say that there is a 40 degree difference in intake temp on the outside skin! A smeasured by my Turkey thermometer

Originally posted by Matt93SE
How to clean throttle body......

1. read this entire post very carefully before you do anything.

2. press the "BACK" button on your browser, to return to the 3rd gen Discussion page.

3. press "PAGE UP" button, so that you're at the top of the page.

4. look for the two posts at the very top entitled "MAX FAQs"

5. click on those, then read through everything in there, including the links (several with obvious descriptions of what they're linked to.)

6. Go outside and do the job, according to those directions.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:05 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

A TURKEY THERMOMETER??? Now you're cookin!!
Old 01-02-2002, 10:09 AM
STFU n00b!

Jason, weird part is that the VQ guys say there's no benefit. I'll take a look at mine and see what happens with it. BUT.. I dunno if it'll be a permanent thing with me or not.. there's a small, snail-shaped object going just in front of the manifold soon, and I dunno what that will do to my intake temps.

BUT.. if I have time to play with the coolant thing before then, I'll see what happens on the VE.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:25 PM

Jason, weird part is that the VQ guys say there's no benefit. I'll take a look at mine and see what happens with it. BUT.. I dunno if it'll be a permanent thing with me or not.. there's a small, snail-shaped object going just in front of the manifold soon, and I dunno what that will do to my intake temps.

BUT.. if I have time to play with the coolant thing before then, I'll see what happens on the VE.
what is this coolant mod you all speak of? should i be reading the max faqs? i need all the power i can get, i'm even considering a BIG mod....its called selling the VE for a 4th gen. someone talk me out of it! i just need struts and clutch!...more power wouldnt hurt.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

what is this coolant mod you all speak of? should i be reading the max faqs? i need all the power i can get, i'm even considering a BIG mod....its called selling the VE for a 4th gen. someone talk me out of it! i just need struts and clutch!...more power wouldnt hurt.
On the VG there are three places that a rubber coolant line passes through on the intake plenum. These lines do nothing to cool the plenum. In fact they are the culprate for HEAT SOAK; IE: poor performance. I simply re routed the coolant line back into it's self. No other parts were need for mine except two little pieces of tubing I made out of a gutted tire guage. I noticed a 40 degree drop in plenum temp. I truly beleive it makes the CAI or POP charger achieve it's full potential. Rather than Cool air entering the filter and MAF, then getting extremely warm once it hits the plenum, now the COLD air stays much cooler till it hits the combustion mixture chamber.
I beleive in it. Do I have a DYNO proof? NO. do I need one, NO. Cooler intake temps will benifit your TQ and HP in a effective way. It is the TUNER standard/given that it works.
I'll stick with this freebie especially through Summer, when under hood temps rise. NOW the plenum temp on the upper and lower side retain the same temp as the cold CAI tube near the intake side of the MAF that goes to the fender. WORKS for me. 40degree drop!

I don't know about the VE, I would only guess that this sort of enginering to save fuel was carried over to the VE, I don't know.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Rose

On the VG there are three places that a rubber coolant line passes through on the intake plenum. These lines do nothing to cool the plenum. In fact they are the culprate for HEAT SOAK; IE: poor performance. I simply re routed the coolant line back into it's self. No other parts were need for mine except two little pieces of tubing I made out of a gutted tire guage. I noticed a 40 degree drop in plenum temp. I truly beleive it makes the CAI or POP charger achieve it's full potential. Rather than Cool air entering the filter and MAF, then getting extremely warm once it hits the plenum, now the COLD air stays much cooler till it hits the combustion mixture chamber.
I beleive in it. Do I have a DYNO proof? NO. do I need one, NO. Cooler intake temps will benifit your TQ and HP in a effective way. It is the TUNER standard/given that it works.
I'll stick with this freebie especially through Summer, when under hood temps rise. NOW the plenum temp on the upper and lower side retain the same temp as the cold CAI tube near the intake side of the MAF that goes to the fender. WORKS for me. 40degree drop!

I don't know about the VE, I would only guess that this sort of enginering to save fuel was carried over to the VE, I don't know.
matt, can you help with this? i get my max back tonight so tomorrow i'm tossing my sub back in and possibly my pulley..if it gets here soon...i need as much power as possible because i'm ready to sell my VE for a 4th gen..(i even found one...96 SE 5 speed, beige on beige cloth, sunroof, everything i want)
Old 01-03-2002, 06:32 PM

matt, can you help with this? i get my max back tonight so tomorrow i'm tossing my sub back in and possibly my pulley..if it gets here soon...i need as much power as possible because i'm ready to sell my VE for a 4th gen..(i even found one...96 SE 5 speed, beige on beige cloth, sunroof, everything i want)
More power? How about less weight?

Take out the sub.

Seriously tho, VE 5-speeds are killer, I'm sure you will have a buyer ready if you are going to get rid of it. Personally I would never get a 4th gen over a VE 5-speed.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

More power? How about less weight?

Take out the sub.

Seriously tho, VE 5-speeds are killer, I'm sure you will have a buyer ready if you are going to get rid of it. Personally I would never get a 4th gen over a VE 5-speed.

i've decided i'm keeping my max. i got it back from the body shop today, let it run on the highway and well, i remember why i bought it.
its like a kid playing with a dog.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:57 PM

i've decided i'm keeping my max. i got it back from the body shop today, let it run on the highway and well, i remember why i bought it.
its like a kid playing with a dog.
Ahh yes, the freeway is a good place for the VE.

Old 01-03-2002, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

Ahh yes, the freeway is a good place for the VE.

only when i have topend power...i blame the lack of it on VTC, coils and heatsoak.
speaking of heatsoak. anyone with a VE like to give me specifics on the coolant mod thing? i have tomorrow and alot of the day on saturday off, i'd like to get more power if possible.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:47 PM
STFU n00b!

Find the coolant lines going into and out of the intake manifold and throttle body. disconnect them from the manifold/TB, and connect the hoses together- so that they simply flow through the hoses and not the manifold and TB.
this keeps hot antifreese from heating up the manifold and supposedly makes more power.
the VQ guys didn't get much results from it, but some Mustang guys got like 10-15hp from it.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the VQ guys didn't get much results from it, but some Mustang guys got like 10-15hp from it.
But are their manifolds as hot as ours? (I actually haven't checked on my VE) Maybe Nissan designed the VQ cooler to begin with.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:26 AM

Heeeeeat Baaaaaaad!
Old 01-04-2002, 06:29 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

damn Matt

there's a small, snail-shaped object going just in front of the manifold soon,
You bastard did you pick up CZar's old stuff, or are you starting from scratch?
Old 01-04-2002, 07:25 AM
STFU n00b!

Re: damn Matt

Originally posted by N34JZ

You bastard did you pick up CZar's old stuff, or are you starting from scratch?
Not exactly scratch, but I'm doing it on my own. someone else bought CZars stuff or I was going to. I'm doing the same thing, but will do it right the first time.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think a certain moderator picked up Czar's old stuff and is redoing the project
Old 01-04-2002, 09:41 AM
STFU n00b!

yes, but it's off his car right now for refining, better tuning, and to rebuild the turbo.
hopefully mine will be up and running about the time he gets his put back together. (I doubt it though)
Old 01-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: had 2 races lastnight, might have to say i'm alittle dissapointed in the VE

First i saw a 92-92 GXE maxima fly onto the freeway on my way to boise. He was hauling *** trying to get infront of people so i followed him, finally we break free squeezing through a hole and he guns it and i follow. Up i INCHED and i mean INCHED up on him from 80-120 when finally it looks like he shut down or hit a govenor, in that hole span of 80-120 i gained maybe 6 feet on him. Was stock to from what i could tell.

Next was a Acura Integra, didn't see which one didn't see a badge. All i saw were cali plates and a tip, and we punched it side by side and stayed the same, maybe after like 40 seconds of dead even racing i started inching away, i could hear an intake though, car was loud and actually sounded good.

I dunno the VE feels fast but i'm starting to wonder if my VG can't keep up with it. Not to mention since i got it all i worry about is the damn VTC's. I always think they're going out, or they sound fine.

Driving me NUTS!
i dunno i have recently raced a auto vg and a 5spd ve. the vg seemed rather fast given its state of tune, the ve on the other hand was a handful, just as fast as my 4th gen. which works out about right considering the motors and bolt ons we had.