3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

caliper question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 PM

caliper question

i was changing my brakes and while i was clamping down the piston the front part of the caliper came off, it slid off and i put it back on. it got dark on me so i have to finish tomorrow. the damn caliper wouldnt go on the rotor cause the front pad was sticking out too much. any input?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
i was changing my brakes and while i was clamping down the piston the front part of the caliper came off, it slid off and i put it back on. it got dark on me so i have to finish tomorrow. the damn caliper wouldnt go on the rotor cause the front pad was sticking out too much. any input?
Were you able to compress the piston all the way in? As long as you get the piston to compress all the way back in you should be able to slide caliper over the brake pads. I reinstall the top caliper pin/bolt partially as a pivot, then place pads in proper position and swing downwards over pads. If you cant compress caliper piston fully seated inside then worst case scenario would be grinding the pads down some.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 PM

any pictures????
Old 02-04-2012, 07:43 PM

there new calipers, there a few months old. what happened was that the front side of the caliper (the part that holds the pads) slid off completely off and left just the piston part connected to the brake line and i had to slide it back on. ill take a pic tomorrow when i get back to it.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM

i was also thinking i need new rotors cause i felt grooves on them and they weren't smooth at all. my dad said old rotors expand a little so thats why the caliper wouldnt fit.
so it looks like im a get new rotors and see it that helps. is there a easy way to compress the piston on the caliper cause it was a becth doing it.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 PM
No turbo, no care!

my dad said old rotors expand a little so thats why the caliper wouldnt fit.
so it looks like im a get new rotors and see it that helps..
Sorry but your dad is dead wrong here. You will find the new calipers to be thicker because they haven't been worn away like your used ones.
Have you changed brakes before? It sounds like you just need to compress the pistons (further), which isn't too difficult if you have the right tools. They sell tools that are specific to this goal but maybe people just use a clamp and old brake pad.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 PM

What are you using to compress the front caliper piston? A C-clamp? That part that fell off sounds like one of the pad spring clips......press the caliper piston fully and slide it over the Torque Member and pads.....
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 AM

I'll take a pic I'm about to go finish it.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 AM

When I first started doing my own maintenance/repairs about 20 years ago I would always buy a Chilton or Haynes manual of whatever vehicle I just bought. Even to this day I still buy a maintenance/repair manual for all of my vehicles. It sounds like either the pad retainers slid out of the torque member or the torque member slid off the piston bore housing. No biggy just put back together and start all over. It sounds like you didn't push the piston back into caliper bore far enough or at all. As far as the rotors, it couldn't hurt to replace but to install you'll have to remove the two mounting bolts. You can leave brake fluid line attached but be careful not to break the line though.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 PM

you never said if your doing the front or rear(assuming you have a se with rear disc)

i hope you know the rear calipers twist back in and are not just pushed in

if the caliper piston is sticky you can try to loosen the bleeder ,but not long enough to let air in the line
Old 02-05-2012, 02:28 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by maximagician
if the caliper piston is sticky you can try to loosen the bleeder ,but not long enough to let air in the line
NO. Do not open a hydraulic unless you are replacing fluid and plan to bleed the system. Besides, this will not help you compress a brake piston.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I've read this about 4-5 times and literally still can't picture/grasp what you're saying happened here.

The "front part" of the caliper itself can't "come off" - it's one piece. The caliper bracket/torque member is separate from the actual caliper but I don't see how that could "come off" either so I can't fathom what it is you're describing here.

Definitely need pictures..

Also, FYI when you're compressing the caliper pistons you need to have the brake fluid reservoir cap off because you're actually pushing the brake fluid "back" through the system allowing the piston to compress and actually raising the fluid level in the reservoir - hence the need to have the cap off. I always just take a small piece of scrap metal over the piston and a big c-clamp to compress them. As somebody else said the rear calipers twist in and cannot be clamped.

Last edited by James92SE; 02-05-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 AM

I think hes trying to say it went towards the trans. As if it fell backwards. I think he saying the 2 fingers came off.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
NO. Do not open a hydraulic unless you are replacing fluid and plan to bleed the system. Besides, this will not help you compress a brake piston.
i think gravity bleeding is all i need to say (but will add that if you open a line
the fluid will come out so there is no way air will enter if the fluid reservoir doesnt empty)ALTHOUGH, in the case of someone else pumping and holding the pedal while you open the bleeder valve method ,then air can suck back in if they release the pedal before you close the valve

just trying to help.......
Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 AM

sorry for the delay guys. i got it fixed it was nothing to worry about lol i just didnt know. i ended up buying the brake spreader tool from auto zone. it worked better than the c clamp.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:58 AM

heres the pic i never got to post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 AM

sorry for the delay guys. i got it fixed it was nothing to worry about lol i just didnt know. i ended up buying the brake spreader tool from auto zone. it worked better than the c clamp.
You worry me. If this was a task for you then I wonder how it will go when you do your struts and springs.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by maximo018
You worry me. If this was a task for you then I wonder how it will go when you do your struts and springs.
I'm paying to get that done
Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Last edited by L_U_D_I_AMaxima; 02-13-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 PM

wtf urself lol that part never popped out on me like that before.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:27 AM

wtf urself lol that part never popped out on me like that before.
so you are telling me that you have never changed brakes before or rebuild calipers?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
so you are telling me that you have never changed brakes before or rebuild calipers?
It's obvious that he hasn't rebuilt a brake caliper before and that's why he came here...for help. I kinda had an idea about his issue from the get and tried to help him out. I know it seems ridiculous to start a thread on such a simple topic but were all not skilled automotive technicians. About 20 years ago I had no idea on how to change brake shoes/pads and my older brother had to show me how. So maybe he'll learn something from this experience and isn't that what it's all about??
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
yea i have changed brakes but that front piece never slid out like that all the way and no i never rebuilt calipers. i bought new ones when i got the car cause they where sticking. whats your point?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
It's obvious that he hasn't rebuilt a brake caliper before and that's why he came here...for help. I kinda had an idea about his issue from the get and tried to help him out. I know it seems ridiculous to start a thread on such a simple topic but were all not skilled automotive technicians. About 20 years ago I had no idea on how to change brake shoes/pads and my older brother had to show me how. So maybe he'll learn something from this experience and isn't that what it's all about??
thank you finally someone is understanding. i dont know why these members think they can come in my thread and try to bash me for asking a question if they are not gonna help they can gtfo n not reply lol obviously i didnt know what was going on thats why i asked hoping to gain knowledge but instead these e-mechanics wonna act like your supposed be born knowing this shet.