3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

rockin and rollin probs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 10:26 PM

rockin and rollin probs

Hi all,
I just got my first Max and I love it.
Its a 92 GXE with Sunroof and power seats.
Nice Toyo Proxes H4 all around.
Very clean car with 147,000 Km on her.

Only have one concern so far. Maybe you experienced guys can help.
When I get it up to 120 - 130 KMH it bounces around a fair bit.
I figure I need struts maybe. Does that sound about right for
147K? And oh ya - where the heck is the pcv valve on the VG30E
engine?

My wife has a 93 SE with full options. 107K. Her Cruise wont work.
Could this be a burned fusible link?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:53 PM

no reply?

Thanks guys - great forum - lotsa help. Riiiiiiiight.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Tom

Struts

Are you in Canada? Your struts are likely worn. Your choices of aftermarket (at least here in the U.S.) are KYB, Tokico, and KONI.

Take a look at http://www.tirerack.com to get an idea for prices. KYBs cost the least, but they are good quality struts for OEM replacement.

The PCV on the VG30E is actually a metal part. Look on your intake manifold and you'll see a rubber hose coming into it fro, the side.

As for the Cruise control, it's hard to say.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:14 PM

Thanks Tom. I'm going with the KYBs.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hi Sharky, it sounds like you need to pick up a Service Manual of some kind. A lot of the problems/questions you have can be either answered or at least partially diagnosed by a service manual. A Haynes or Chilton service manual is probably the most user-friendly and should only be about $25 or so (our money!).

Most people on the board are loathe to answer problems like the ones you're having because they're too open-ended (not enough info is given) and would take a lot of effort to sort out. Also because they're general car problems and... more than one of them All this kinda makes one think "too much effort" and skip it entirely.

On the other hand, if you'd said something that goes like, "okay, I've got this problem and I've checked this and that is fine, and I've searched (key word here!) but I'm still stumped, help me!" Then you would've gotten more help. Basically, what I'm saying is the attitude around here is that if it sounds like you've actually put effort into trying to figure it out yourself, but you're still stuck, then SURE, we'll help out! (Not to imply you didn't put any effort in.)

So if you ever asked a question like "Are lowering springs available?" You can expect either dead silence, or put your asbestos undies on and watch the flames erupt!

SEARCH and the FAQs are your greatest ally to prevent this from happening. Sometimes all the help you need doesn't have to come from a person!

This is a nice place once you figure out how it operates - sorry no one (including me) got to you sooner though.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:14 AM

Oops - Newbie here.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let me know how to use this forum properly. What your saying makes perfect sense. Sorry for being such a newbie. I guess the chat is more for like mods and event stuff rather than general and common car problems. For common car probs the search and FAQ should be used. That keeps it from getting too boring eh. Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:18 AM

Re: Oops - Newbie here.

Originally posted by sharky
Thanks for taking the time and effort to let me know how to use this forum properly. What your saying makes perfect sense. Sorry for being such a newbie. I guess the chat is more for like mods and event stuff rather than general and common car problems. For common car probs the search and FAQ should be used. That keeps it from getting too boring eh. Thanks again.
nah man, it's for everything, don't be afraid to post the simple stuff, and even sometimes the dumb stuff. .. ..just look at my posts