3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

WTF is the big black box thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 12:06 PM

WTF is the big black box thing

ok the know that big black box on the bottom of the black air intake tube...... ya know after the filter but befor the TB . Could i block it some how it looks like its wasting air.... but y would they put it on our cars if it wasted air?? humm....
Old 01-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: WTF is the big black box thing

gnomes live insdie it!!! at night they come out and wash your pistons for you! naw but seriously isn't that the resonator or something??

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
ok the know that big black box on the bottom of the black air intake tube...... ya know after the filter but befor the TB . Could i block it some how it looks like its wasting air.... but y would they put it on our cars if it wasted air?? humm....
Old 01-11-2002, 12:12 PM

Re: Re: WTF is the big black box thing

Originally posted by DA-MAX
gnomes live insdie it!!! at night they come out and wash your pistons for you! naw but seriously isn't that the resonator or something??

LOL dude thats funny.... LOL GNOMES!!!!!!!!! LOL

resonator??? i wonder what sound i would make with out it
Old 01-11-2002, 12:15 PM

yes that's the intake resonator...I bought one with it removed form Matt93SE and it makes it a LOT louder...you don't want to get rid of it...it's annoying loud...not like "a roaring intake" loud....but as matt put it...at WOT, it's "WAAAAAAAAH"....loud.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

how do you remove it?? the piping can be opened or something, I never really looked at how its attached on there??
Old 01-11-2002, 12:19 PM

them damn gnomes again

Originally posted by FAST4EN
yes that's the intake resonator...I bought one with it removed form Matt93SE and it makes it a LOT louder...you don't want to get rid of it...it's annoying loud...not like "a roaring intake" loud....but as matt put it...at WOT, it's "WAAAAAAAAH"....loud.
O man ... i though it would be my next mod: gnome eviction (i think thats how you spell it)LoL
Old 01-11-2002, 12:27 PM
STFU n00b!

I'm warning you now.. you guys don't want to remove it... but if you REALLY think you do, go ahead...

pull the tube off the car and you'll see the seam all the way around the resonator, right in the middle of the box. use a hacksaw or grinder or dremel or something and cut all the way around that seam.
Once you get that off, you'll see what else needs cut.
then use something to plug the hole in the tube, and you're set.
fiberglass works great here. then just paint the glass black and nobody will see it.

for those of you wondering what it sounds like, listen to a VG with a CAI. it sounds just like that, only louder, since the filter is under the hood, not hidden in the fender well.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
pull the tube off the car and you'll see the seam all the way around the resonator, right in the middle of the box. use a hacksaw or grinder or dremel or something and cut all the way around that seam.
Once you get that off, you'll see what else needs cut.
then use something to plug the hole in the tube, and you're set.
fiberglass works great here. then just paint the glass black and nobody will see it.

for those of you wondering what it sounds like, listen to a VG with a CAI. it sounds just like that, only louder, since the filter is under the hood, not hidden in the fender well.

I did it on my car, like Matt said it sounds like a CAI except louder. I liked it. I used fiberglass also.