3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Battery/engine fire put a hole in my A/C line

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013 | 09:32 PM

Battery/engine fire put a hole in my A/C line

So the other day I was driving up the pass listening to music when I suddenly lost power to my stereo. I was almost 30 miles away from my destination so I kept driving, I made one stop and had a hard time starting my car for the second time that day but it was worse. so when I got to my second destination I decided to see under the hood and checked the fuses. When I touched the cover of the positive battery terminal it started to spark a lot and within a few seconds it just burst into smoke then flames. I poured water onto the amp wire that was burning and the yellow top battery immediately. Then cut the fried amp wire off which was the problem, the bolt wasn't very tight. and the eye terminal was too big for the battery terminal. This was an eye opening experience for me. thank God no one got hurt, the car is ok, the battery seems ok (it just got a little hot). I think It dripped hot metal onto my cold a/c line and put a pin hole into it. I was thinking I would just get some epoxy for aluminum to patch this small hole. yeah?
What have you guys done with this positive terminal is there a better one that will work with big power stereos that works with the stock wiring connectors.
Old 07-08-2013 | 03:35 AM

Especially because it happened due to a "big power stereo".
I can't imagine doing a wiring job without knowing/at least making sure that everything is done properly, that certain wires aren't overloaded, checking resistance and voltage drops w/ multimeter, etc. Electricity isn't to be played with, learned that long ago (after seeing an electrical warehouse fire).

I work on aircraft, and this story makes me wanna . If I made this mistake at work, I wouldn't have my FAA+FCC licenses AND I would be getting sued.

Always check your wiring, especially if you're adding a big load to an already highly loaded battery, you must check the load (resistance) and voltage drops or deal with problems like yourself. If someone made the same wiring mistake in an aircraft, you'd be doing way more than just pouring water on the hot wire. You'd be using your bare arms in hopes of flying like a bird, with no success.

BTW, I'm not at all hating on you dude. I'm pretty sure I've done similar or worse when I was young and reckless. Just that nowadays, I can't imagine making such a mistake. But definitely not hating on you, and good luck!
As for the pin hole in A/C line -- I would NOT use epoxy (can be very flammable inside the engine compartment if not proper kind of epoxy) there to seal it up. Maybe just use some fusing/sealing plumbers tape if it's just a tiny pin hole?

Good luck man!
Old 07-08-2013 | 06:57 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

was there a fuse on that wire? usually the fuse will blow in that situation and that's it....my guess is...no fuse?

no you can't throw on epoxy/super glue/jbweld on a metal line. the refrigerant lines are under a lot of pressure...over 100psi on the hot side...so it's not going to work.