3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Stalling Issues and wild fluctuations in RPM, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stalling Issues and wild fluctuations in RPM, help!!

Problem 1:

So a few nights ago I was driving on the highway at 60 MPH and my car starts to jerk back and forth shaking hard. The RPMs are shooting up and down 1500- 2500 RPM. I slow down and get off the highway. Manage to get home with the car shaking a few more times even at lower speeds doesn't stall though.

When I get home and put it in park the idle shot up to 2500+ RPM without my foot on the gas. I shifted it to reverse and neutral it was normal RPM then back to park and the RPM gets high again.

Next day I'm driving and the car starts shaking while I'm driving RPM going up and down, and it even stalls when I'm idling. Brought it home and again the RPM shoots up while putting it in park.

Problem 2? :
Couple of months ago I had a similar issue where the car would get really jerky and take a while to go through the gears. Once I got into 3rd gear the car was fine. However 1st and 2nd I'd have issues with the acceleration taking forever and the RPM jumping up and down. Often times it would stall at idle unless I had my foot on the gas a little.

Solved problem 2 by cleaning the contacts on the throttle position sensor. Is the problem back? or is it the IACV?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Had a similar problem on my accord turned bout to be iacv does is stall when the compressor is turned on ?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:46 PM

Haven't used it lately. The heater may have been on. I tried it in the garage at idle and no issues.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by generation3
When I get home and put it in park the idle shot up to 2500+ RPM without my foot on the gas. I shifted it to reverse and neutral it was normal RPM then back to park and the RPM gets high again.
I had an almost similar problem, except my idle shot up in neutral as well. When at a stop light, car in Drive, idle was normal, but I could feel my engine had an urge to lurch forward. Putting gear into neutral or park and my idle would shoot up. My issue was green corroded contacts on the throttle position sensor. Even after cleaning the crap out of it, I had intermittent problems. I found the problem went away when I pressed the sensor connector backwards, which put more tension on the contacts giving them better connection. So I ghetto rigged a piece of velcro to keep this tension on the connector and its been great for the last 5+ years.

Just my 2cents on my situation.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matt92Se
I had an almost similar problem, except my idle shot up in neutral as well. When at a stop light, car in Drive, idle was normal, but I could feel my engine had an urge to lurch forward. Putting gear into neutral or park and my idle would shoot up. My issue was green corroded contacts on the throttle position sensor. Even after cleaning the crap out of it, I had intermittent problems. I found the problem went away when I pressed the sensor connector backwards, which put more tension on the contacts giving them better connection. So I ghetto rigged a piece of velcro to keep this tension on the connector and its been great for the last 5+ years.

Just my 2cents on my situation.
That sounds like my problem. The first time I cleaned it a few months ago there was a lot of green crap on it. I cleaned it up good and probably should have put some grease on it. Cleaned them again we'll see if it pops up again.

Can you show me a pic of the ghetto rig? Not sure which part you mean that you pushed backwards.

Did you also clean the connector for the MAF?

I just cleaned my IACV also, not really that dirty just some black stuff that rubbed off. I didn't go all the way back to the gasket though.