3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

92 max GSE road trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM

92 max GSE road trip

Drove the max 1900 miles over the weekend, from Orlando to Houston Texas and back and I must say, I was very impressed at how well it handled the journey. Two friends came along and they were suggesting renting a car but I had no doubt the max would have made the trip. The ride was comfortable and except for occasional engine oil checks, due to a leaking crankshaft rear seal, it was otherwise pleasant. It is unbelievable after 22 yrs these cars are still holding there own. 3rd gen forever......
Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
Drove the max 1900 miles over the weekend, from Orlando to Houston Texas and back and I must say, I was very impressed at how well it handled the journey. Two friends came along and they were suggesting renting a car but I had no doubt the max would have made the trip. The ride was comfortable and except for occasional engine oil checks, due to a leaking crankshaft rear seal, it was otherwise pleasant. It is unbelievable after 22 yrs these cars are still holding there own. 3rd gen forever......
LOL I did a pretty good road trip with my 3rd gen aswell and agreed. After all these years they are a pretty comfortable ride especially on the highway. My girlfriend and i drove from Ontario Canada to the port in Miami 5000km there and back. We were going on a cruise to the Bahamas and the flights were pretty expensive and even if we got a flight from Buffalo it wasn't a whole lot cheaper so we said the heck with it lets drive. It took 30 hrs in total. Just stopped here and there at the rest stops for a nap. The longest part was getting through Florida but definately a nice cruise and nice scenery. My 3rd gen is in great condition and glad it didn't break down being so far from home but it held up great.

Last edited by ac max 92; 03-25-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
LOL I did a pretty good road trip with my 3rd gen aswell and agreed. After all these years they are a pretty comfortable ride especially on the highway. My girlfriend and i drove from Ontario Canada to the port in Miami 5000km there and back. We were going on a cruise to the Bahamas and the flights were pretty expensive and even if we got a flight from Buffalo it wasn't a whole lot cheaper so we said the heck with it lets drive. It took 30 hrs in total. Just stopped here and there at the rest stops for a nap. The longest part was getting through Florida but definately a nice cruise and nice scenery. My 3rd gen is in great condition and glad it didn't break down being so far from home but it held up great.
Wow! My trip was a walk in the park compared to yours. My trip was 13.6 hrs actual drive time. I'm going to confirm this with the first owner but I think this is the only time, in 22 yrs, that this car has been outside the state of Florida.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:38 AM

Huh you were here over the weekend? Well hope you enjoyed.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by maximo018
Huh you were here over the weekend? Well hope you enjoyed.
Yes, my first time in Texas. We got off at exit 791 and went like one street down. I didn't see any 3rd gens for the few hours I was there.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:12 PM

Bought mine in Indianapolis and drove it home to Miami, Fl. Then I moved to Indiana from Miami. Then moved back to Miami. But it has not seen TX. I was living there for a year and then moved back to Miami. But glad to hear another 3rd gen made its way on a roadtrip. I dont think ill ever give up on her. Ill still get a newer car but i cant let her go. Too much blood, sweat and tears have gone into this car.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:23 PM

94 @ 223,000 still going strong

I generally drive my 94 from GA to KY (Louisville) and back home to GA.
Round trip is 600 miles or so. If you add up the miles I put on her in KY on the job its about 200 or so a week.

She handles the trips back and forth on the interstate just fine. The only thing I'm worried about is the tranny.. At 223,000 miles just not sure how much longer it will last or exactly how it will "die" when it dies..

Reading the Forums I've noticed some just die without any "notice" and some give a little bit of problems (maybe) before they quit...no rhyme nor reason to it..

I've been proactive about tranny fluid changes over the years but still hope it does not decide to quit or break on the road. Then I'll have to make the dreaded decision to fix or just give her up to maxima gods...

I'm going to hope she (and the tranny) make it to 300,000 at that point I know some one who will give me $500 for her so I'll probably let them have it and consider it a good 20+ years...next Maxima..
Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by dealsgap
I generally drive my 94 from GA to KY (Louisville) and back home to GA.
Round trip is 600 miles or so. If you add up the miles I put on her in KY on the job its about 200 or so a week.

She handles the trips back and forth on the interstate just fine. The only thing I'm worried about is the tranny.. At 223,000 miles just not sure how much longer it will last or exactly how it will "die" when it dies..

Reading the Forums I've noticed some just die without any "notice" and some give a little bit of problems (maybe) before they quit...no rhyme nor reason to it..

I've been proactive about tranny fluid changes over the years but still hope it does not decide to quit or break on the road. Then I'll have to make the dreaded decision to fix or just give her up to maxima gods...

I'm going to hope she (and the tranny) make it to 300,000 at that point I know some one who will give me $500 for her so I'll probably let them have it and consider it a good 20+ years...next Maxima..
Mine started going into limp mode and shortly there after it "neutraled up" a short distance away from my home. Put a jy tranny in and the search began for a stick. Did the conversion about a year now and this car has never been or felt more reliable.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 PM

tranny

What kind of miles did you have on her before she started "limping"?

Had you changed the tranny oil frequently?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dealsgap
What kind of miles did you have on her before she started "limping"?

Had you changed the tranny oil frequently?
The car was parked for about 8 mnths with bad injectors when I got it and it had 210k. At the time, it was suppose to be a project car but shortly thereafter, my wife's car died and gave my car so the max became my primary driver. Within the first couple of days into still trying to get it running right, I notice it felt like it was moving in 3rd gear. I started searching this forum and realized it was transmission woes. I got one from the jy that supposedly had 95k and after about 5k it completely died. So back to jy and got lucky, found a pristine max that got rear ended and the odometer said it 67k so I cobbled up the motor and the tranny. Installed the tranny and kept the motor until I got all the bits for the swap and the rest is history. Of note, the same week the swap was planned, it started going into limp mode again.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
The car was parked for about 8 mnths with bad injectors when I got it and it had 210k. At the time, it was suppose to be a project car but shortly thereafter, my wife's car died and gave my car so the max became my primary driver. Within the first couple of days into still trying to get it running right, I notice it felt like it was moving in 3rd gear. I started searching this forum and realized it was transmission woes. I got one from the jy that supposedly had 95k and after about 5k it completely died. So back to jy and got lucky, found a pristine max that got rear ended and the odometer said it 67k so I cobbled up the motor and the tranny. Installed the tranny and kept the motor until I got all the bits for the swap and the rest is history. Of note, the same week the swap was planned, it started going into limp mode again.
Time for a 5spd swap champ.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:08 PM

I also will never give up on mine. I need to get it here from San Antonio.