3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Found an OEM starters for our vehicles here:

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:46 PM

Found an OEM starter for our vehicles for $58 here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271465001072...S:1120&vxp=mtr

Made in Japan.

Last edited by londonflu; 03-12-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:50 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Nice find. Unfortunately the only 3rd gen that fits is the VE auto.

Interestingly, the VE 5 speed and all GXE's both auto and 5 speed all use the same starter. The VE auto is the lone oddball.

You should definitely pick one up. Good price.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE

Interestingly, the VE 5 speed and all GXE's both auto and 5 speed all use the same starter. The VE auto is the lone oddball.

Hey buddy! I'm glad you pointed that out for the rest of us. I picked one up a couple of months ago, and it was exactly the same as OEM. I haven't had any problems since, knock on wood!

How's your car James? Did you ever fix that hesitation issue?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by londonflu
Hey buddy! I'm glad you pointed that out for the rest of us. I picked one up a couple of months ago, and it was exactly the same as OEM. I haven't had any problems since, knock on wood!

How's your car James? Did you ever fix that hesitation issue?
You mean my bucking and stalling in the middle of intersections issue?

Nope still haven't figured it out. I haven't been driving the Maxima all that much since I got my Civic back on the road a couple months ago. I did drive the Maxima to work and back several times in the past few weeks since we've had a lot of ice/snow and stuff and I didn't want my Civic snow plowing it all.

The Maxima ran/drove flawlessly each time, but usually my stalling issues start after driving it for 15-20 minutes continuously. My drive to work is only 10 minutes. So rather than believe the car magically cured itself, it's probably rather just the fact that I hadn't driven it long enough for the problems to appear.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:25 PM

That bucking issue is more than likely a fuel pressure related!!!!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
That bucking issue is more than likely a fuel pressure related!!!!
It has a brand new fuel pump, brand new injectors, new fuel filter, new fuel pressure regulator, etc.

Since it's so intermittent, and it always happens at the absolute worst time (i.e., middle of an intersection on my lunch hour type of thing), it's very very hard to trouble shoot. Plus it always starts right back up, usually while I'm still coasting! It runs like butter other than that. I'm not able to reproduce it in the driveway or in any environment where I could test things, unfortunately.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi, complete noob here. will this work with my 1994 GXE, auto transmission.

read on another forum somewhere on the interwebz that oem starters have some kind of epoxy coating (not sure what part of the starter would have it)? the battery is new-ish, 2 years old from costco. from what i've read it could be anything: wiring, coolant sensor, ignition, relay(s)......sorta overwhelming. i really don't have the cash to get it fixed at a garage.

the starter clicks every time i turn the key but just won't crank. i hit the starter a few times and then wait a bit (or put the car into neutral) and then somehow some combinations of hitting the starter with the hammer, rocking the car back and forth while in the dirver's seat, or putting it into neutral, will get the car going. but when i stop to get gas/shop/kill the engine, it definitely won't start up again for another 10-20 minutes no matter what i do.

i plan on spending the day taking the starter out and looking at it before i order anything. i really need it to last just another year for school!

advice?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mouseandcat
hi, complete noob here. will this work with my 1994 GXE, auto transmission.

read on another forum somewhere on the interwebz that oem starters have some kind of epoxy coating (not sure what part of the starter would have it)? the battery is new-ish, 2 years old from costco. from what i've read it could be anything: wiring, coolant sensor, ignition, relay(s)......sorta overwhelming. i really don't have the cash to get it fixed at a garage.

the starter clicks every time i turn the key but just won't crank. i hit the starter a few times and then wait a bit (or put the car into neutral) and then somehow some combinations of hitting the starter with the hammer, rocking the car back and forth while in the dirver's seat, or putting it into neutral, will get the car going. but when i stop to get gas/shop/kill the engine, it definitely won't start up again for another 10-20 minutes no matter what i do.

i plan on spending the day taking the starter out and looking at it before i order anything. i really need it to last just another year for school!

advice?
No, the starter in his link will only work with the 1992-1994 SE model automatic.

In general your issue seems like a bad starter.

However, the automatics DO have a somewhat less common (and frustrating to track down) issue with a shifter bushing. About 15 years ago when I was driving an auto Maxima it would randomly not crank. What happens is the bushing wears out and even though your car is in Park, the transmission doesn't "think" it's in Park.

I had to usually put it in neutral and try to start it that way. It usually worked. Sometimes I would need to go from neutral to park a few times but I could always get it without much trouble. I never did bother fixing the bushing (it's probably a $2-3 dollar part) and sold the car to move to a manual transmission-equipped Maxima.

Hard to say if your issue is the starter or the bushing. The fact that you can sometimes get it to crank by rocking the car and doing the "neutral trick" does seem to indicate shifter bushing.

Something you can do is take the starter off and take it to PepBoys or the like and they can test it for you. That will rule it in or out definitively.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No, the starter in his link will only work with the 1992-1994 SE model automatic.

In general your issue seems like a bad starter.

However, the automatics DO have a somewhat less common (and frustrating to track down) issue with a shifter bushing. About 15 years ago when I was driving an auto Maxima it would randomly not crank. What happens is the bushing wears out and even though your car is in Park, the transmission doesn't "think" it's in Park.

I had to usually put it in neutral and try to start it that way. It usually worked. Sometimes I would need to go from neutral to park a few times but I could always get it without much trouble. I never did bother fixing the bushing (it's probably a $2-3 dollar part) and sold the car to move to a manual transmission-equipped Maxima.

Hard to say if your issue is the starter or the bushing. The fact that you can sometimes get it to crank by rocking the car and doing the "neutral trick" does seem to indicate shifter bushing.

Something you can do is take the starter off and take it to PepBoys or the like and they can test it for you. That will rule it in or out definitively.
thanks for the idea about the bushing. i saw the put-in-neutral idea but didn't know why that would do anything.

turns out my car also does not register shifting into D. i can't casually just drop the shift from park or reverse into D, i have to shift down and then once in place, give it a firm tug down to get the car to register that it is in D.

i wonder if the starter problem and shifting into Drive are both caused by the bushing.