3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Please help guys...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Fuel smell is probably the common vent hose crack. It's right behind the driver back wheel, the rubber vent hose about a foot long, it routes over the rear subframe. Very common and not a difficult or time consuming fix. Just need about a foot long section of new hose for it.

Sounds like you lucked out on the struts. If you can somehow get away with not doing them (ie, can you start the inspection over again at a different shop?) then I wouldn't bother with them
I will check that hose, thank you! I don't see gas on the ground. But he told my buddy it was a fuel line leak.
My guy will just sticker the car for me to be honest with you. He knows I used to do inspections, and go over the car first.
I did just call my buddy and asked who told him the struts were bad.
I will check to see if the struts are leaking. But it sure handles nice.
He said Firestone!!!!!! I don't know why he is taking it to a chain store. I am sorry if someone works there on this forum, but the one near me tries to sale you everything they can!
I also asked what oil he was running. He said 10W/30. I better check the owners manual, I thought they were 5W/30, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by TonyPa; 06-15-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:22 PM

Either is fine. If im not mistaken the manual recomends 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter but personally i just run 5w30 all year long though i use a good synthetic.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Either is fine. If im not mistaken the manual recomends 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter but personally i just run 5w30 all year long though i use a good synthetic.
I was thinking on putting a synthetic in it, since it is nearing 100K soon.I started running it in Xterra when it hit 100K, and it started leaking oil in a few spots?
Now that made me paranoid.
I know oil is always a big debate, so I never like to bring up that topic...
Old 06-15-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by TonyPa
I was thinking on putting a synthetic in it, since it is nearing 100K soon.I started running it in Xterra when it hit 100K, and it started leaking oil in a few spots?
True on the oil debate lol. I can't speak for other 3rd gens but i've been using synthetic (Amsoil signature series 5w30) for years now with no leaks or issues but then again thats just me.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 PM

True on the oil debate lol. I can't speak for other 3rd gens but i've been using synthetic (Amsoil signature series 5w30) for years now with no leaks or issues but then again thats just me.
I was just using Castrol Synthetic on mine, since I could buy it local. I am messing around online right now, looking for body kits, Cold Air Intakes...etc. I think I might want to have fun with this car since the miles are somewhat low.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 PM

synthetic and regular oil have a different molecular structure, synthetic in some 1970s and older stuff can cause leaks because of it but mid 80s and newer stuff it shouldnt. i ran Castrol 5w-30 synthetic in my 3rd gen with no problem and even my old 70s and 80s vehicles run synthetic without issue. my 88 D21 was on synthetic and never leaked a single drop of any fluid til the day it died
Old 06-15-2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
synthetic and regular oil have a different molecular structure, synthetic in some 1970s and older stuff can cause leaks because of it but mid 80s and newer stuff it shouldnt. i ran Castrol 5w-30 synthetic in my 3rd gen with no problem and even my old 70s and 80s vehicles run synthetic without issue. my 88 D21 was on synthetic and never leaked a single drop of any fluid til the day it died
must have just been an odd thing with my Xterra. I put synthetic in at about 100K, and the valve covers started leaking. I have no idea. I will more than likely go synthetic on this anyhow. I will be draining the tranny fluid also, filter...etc. I like to have a fresh start with all the fluids.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 AM

I was just using Castrol Synthetic on mine, since I could buy it local. I am messing around online right now, looking for body kits, Cold Air Intakes...etc. I think I might want to have fun with this car since the miles are somewhat low.

If your interested i have some sets of clear corners new in the box. As for a body kit i believe there is a member selling a stillen body kit in the classifieds.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:49 PM

If your interested i have some sets of clear corners new in the box. As for a body kit i believe there is a member selling a stillen body kit in the classifieds.
Thank you for offering. I will be in the market for goodies soon. I still have to do my exhaust, timing belt, all the maintenance stuff first. I am glad to see they sale stuff for the 3rd gen still.
I did read a thread on here, where the 3rd gen is shrinking. Bummer, I just got into it!..
Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM

Thank you for offering. I will be in the market for goodies soon. I still have to do my exhaust, timing belt, all the maintenance stuff first. I am glad to see they sale stuff for the 3rd gen still.
I did read a thread on here, where the 3rd gen is shrinking. Bummer, I just got into it!..
Its definitely getting tougher to find aftermarket goodies and parts especially here in Canada. That's why I've made a little stash of goodies like under drive pully, strut bars and many other parts as I'm sure many other 3rd Gen owners have done the same though most here on the org I believe are pretty good with helping one another out in a pinch.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:40 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I've got a set of no longer available Eibach springs in the classifieds with your name on them
Old 06-18-2015, 06:59 PM

Well.....CRAP!!! I am gonna drop my car off this weekend, and their going to do the timing belt on Monday.
My buddy works for a parts store, so he got me the belt kit. He gets a discount.
Belt, Tensioner, Pump, And a thermostat.
Well, here's the issue.
I have no idea on my 93...3.0 SOHC GXE model.....what belt I have.
He said there was either a rounded tooth, or square tooth.
He got me the rounded tooth, because his manager said that was more common. I dunno, he works for a parts store, not Nissan.
I wished there was a way to peak in there, before dropping the car off.
Is there a way I can peak in there, without removing a lot of stuff??
And will it be evident if it is round or square. I haven't seen the belt yet, I am picking it up tomorrow from my buddy.

Last edited by TonyPa; 06-18-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:00 PM

You should be o.k. I believe 89-92 is square tooth and 93-94 is round tooth.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:20 PM

You should be o.k. I believe 89-92 is square tooth and 93-94 is round tooth.
Oh, that would be great! I will try and see if there is a way tomorrow to peak in there. Too dark out now. He said it called for either one and so did rock auto. Is confusing.

Last edited by TonyPa; 06-18-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Officially, round tooth is 7/93 and newer. That *ptobably* means round tooth is mostly found in 94 models. What month was your car built?
Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 PM

Officially, round tooth is 7/93 and newer. That *ptobably* means round tooth is mostly found in 94 models. What month was your car built?
'I am not sure. I will check it in the morning. I was hoping there was access to look at it. Crap, I bet mine is a square then.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:00 PM

I just noticed I said "ptobably" above. For some reason my phone is changing probably to ptobably

And yeah, your car probably is square tooth as I assume that by July 93, Nissan was likely already building 1994 models.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:02 PM

I just noticed I said "ptobably" above. For some reason my phone is changing probably to ptobably

And yeah, your car probably is square tooth as I assume that by July 93, Nissan was likely already building 1994 models.
Crap. He probably got me the wrong belt. I will check my door date tomorrow. Ugh!!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:25 PM

Sounds like your phone has a drunken spell check lol
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 PM

Crap. He probably got me the wrong belt. I will check my door date tomorrow. Ugh!!

If your worried maybe just take both belts and bring one back?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 PM

If your worried maybe just take both belts and bring one back?
Thats a thought too! I will check my door stamp tomorrow, and also see if theres a way for me to peak in there.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:24 AM

Okay, I checked my door sticker. it is 6/93. I guess that means square tooth?
I looked, there is no easy way of getting the top cover off easily. I only see one bolt. The rest are buried.
I gave the dealer my last 8 digits of my vin. He just said, "He thinks round tooth".
He said the part number kept changing. But it is coming back to part number:
A1302885E86....He left the A out first, and said...wait it changed again to an A at the beginning. He was confusing me.
He said that shows round tooth, but he sounded like he was getting confused because they kept changing the part number as time went on.
But he stated, if he would have to order it according to my Vin, it would be a round tooth. I guess my buddy may have got the the right one. I think....However.....
I tried to look that part number up online, I see a Dayco cross reference. DAYCO 95104, thats with taking the A out of the beginning. Or maybe I shouldn't remove the A from the beginning since he said that added it on. He stated they added the A to the number on my car later on, I am confused. Looks like a square tooth to me.
I may be looking it up wrong....

Last edited by TonyPa; 06-19-2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:24 AM

Okay, I checked my door sticker. it is 6/93. I guess that means square tooth?
I looked, there is no easy way of getting the top cover off easily. I only see one bolt. The rest are buried.
I gave the dealer my last 8 digits of my vin. He just said, "He thinks round tooth".
He said the part number kept changing. But it is coming back to part number:
A1302885E86....He left the A out first, and said...wait it changed again to an A at the beginning. He was confusing me.
He said that shows round tooth, but he sounded like he was getting confused because they kept changing the part number as time went on.
But he stated, if he would have to order it according to my Vin, it would be a round tooth. I guess my buddy may have got the the right one. I think....However.....
I tried to look that part number up online, I see a Dayco cross reference. DAYCO 95104, thats with taking the A out of the beginning. Or maybe I shouldn't remove the A from the beginning since he said that added it on. He stated they added the A to the number on my car later on, I am confused. Looks like a square tooth to me.
I may be looking it up wrong....

Your car SHOULD be square tooth then, in which case you should have the correct timing belt.

There's almost certainly no way you have any access to "peek into" the timing area to see the belt. I've never worked on a VG, but I'd be surprised if it had a removable plastic timing cover like Honda engines or anything which would let you see the belt.

I also think you're making this too hard. Do you live in the boonies or something? If not, I don't understand why you can't just order both kits as already mentioned and return the one you don't need. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, any chain parts store should be able to get the kit for you later the same day even if they don't have it in stock at their physical location.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:27 AM

The official production dates are 1/1991 to 6/1993 is square tooth.

7/1993+ is round tooth

Simple as that. This was easily found in not even two minutes online.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:29 AM

You already have the kit so the tensioner etc. As well as your water pump will be fine. Just save yourself the hassle and racking your brain if its confusing you and taking that much of your time running around researching and just pick up a square tooth and bring back whichever belt you don't need. Probably less time than what your spending confusing yourself lol atleast when it's done you'll know for next time
Old 06-19-2015, 07:34 AM

You already have the kit so the tensioner etc. As well as your water pump will be fine. Just save yourself the hassle and racking your brain if its confusing you and taking that much of your time running around researching and just pick up a square tooth and bring back whichever belt you don't need. Probably less time than what your spending confusing yourself lol atleast when it's done you'll know for next time
+1

Especially since he's right in that cut-off range. If you do some brief searching, you'll see that in old online mentions, there are mentions of both types of belts being found on cars produced in that summer 1993 production range despite Nissan's official production listings of 6/93 and 7/93.

Either way, entirely too much work/effort/worry. Just get his buddy to grab both kits and return the unnecessary one.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:59 AM

He got me the round tooth..
On fast "stupid" question. I was going to call local and just get the "belt", since I have the kit already. And get the square tooth belt. Just in case.
Will the tensioner matter with the round tooth kit, or are they smooth? If that made sense?
Or do I need the whole other kit for various reasons, from switching teeth styles?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:01 AM

On fast "stupid" question. I was going to call local and just get the "belt", since I have the kit already. And get the square tooth belt. Just in case.
Will the tensioner matter with the round tooth kit, or are they smooth? If that made sense?
Or do I need the whole other kit for various reasons, from switching teeth styles?
I assume you need the whole other kit. The groove profiles on the gears are surely different, hence the belt difference.

*edit* actually - if your kit is JUST the belt and tensioner you should be good. I was thinking the VG had a timing belt driven water pump you'd be replacing, but the tensioner is smooth and shouldn't matter if we're talking JUST belt and tensioner.

Last edited by James92SE; 06-19-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:03 AM

I assume you need the whole other kit. The groove profiles on the gears are surely different, hence the belt difference.
Okay, I will order the other kit,,,"square tooth" today. Should have it Monday. Just to be safe! Thanks. I am used to doing my own work, but this job I don't wanna do.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:07 AM

Okay, I will order the other kit,,,"square tooth" today. Should have it Monday. Just to be safe! Thanks. I am used to doing my own work, but this job I don't wanna do.
See my edit above. You replied just as I was making my edit.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 AM

*edit* actually - if your kit is JUST the belt and tensioner you should be good. I was thinking the VG had a timing belt driven water pump you'd be replacing, but the tensioner is smooth and shouldn't matter if we're talking JUST belt and tensioner.
My kit has the water pump also. I wanted to replace that and the thermostat while their in there.
I didn't see this until now, and called Advance, they only show a round tooth kit. Ugh. I called a local NON chain store, and he said he shows round tooth. But he cannot get the kit, only the square belt. This is kind of wacky. i should drop the car off with the round tooth kit, and just let them deal with it, and if it is square tooth, then they can order it, and I will return my buddies kit.

I told them guys both stores....6/93

Also. I don't know what this VG stuff means. I am still learning Nissan. I wanted one, since so many people love the dependability of the car. And the power.

Last edited by TonyPa; 06-19-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM

You shouldn't need another whole kit just get yourself a square tooth timing belt and return the belt you don't need. Its that simple.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:55 AM

You shouldn't need another whole kit just get yourself a square tooth timing belt and return the belt you don't need. Its that simple.
I just called my mechanic, well sort of. I dont use one often. He said just drop it off Tuesday, and if it is the square tooth, he will deal with it, and swap it out. He deals with that parts store.
I wanna drive it!!!!! Although I need to do the brakes, low pedal, slight grinding noise.
Exhaust, I think thats all. Then time to do the fun stuff.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:07 AM

I just called my mechanic, well sort of. I dont use one often. He said just drop it off Tuesday, and if it is the square tooth, he will deal with it, and swap it out. He deals with that parts store.
I wanna drive it!!!!! Although I need to do the brakes, low pedal, slight grinding noise.
Exhaust, I think thats all. Then time to do the fun stuff.
If the pedals low you probably need to bleed the lines. Im sure once you get the timing belt done and new rotors and pads you'll get to enjoy it soon enough. Are you swapping out the struts?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:11 AM

If the pedals low you probably need to bleed the lines. Im sure once you get the timing belt done and new rotors and pads you'll get to enjoy it soon enough. Are you swapping out the struts?
I didn't physically look at the struts yet. So I don't know why they failed him for that. I doubt they need changed. if they do I will use rock auto and save a lot of money. But the car handles like dream, and corners very well. I dunnno.....
Yeah, probably brakes, rotors, I think the left caliper is hanging up, since it pulls the the right when braking. Thats all easy stuff there. I truly like this car. I got to drive it home, but was very easy on it. The timing belt, If it was supposed to be changed at 60K, is way over due at 93K. I will know when I see what teeth I have for the next interval on mileage.
I won't ever really hit it hard. I have read these trannys are not the strongest in mine....
Old 06-25-2015, 11:02 AM

Okay, timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat..whole kit all installed. Mine was a round tooth. That was odd for a 6/93.
I looked at the old belt. He saves my parts all the time. It looked wore, but still decent shape oddly.
He fixed the steel fuel lines, and exhaust also, was the flex pipe. Everything for 600 bucks. Runs great, however...
He does state inspection, but farms out the emissions.
He ran it over for the emissions today, and it failed. Converter, and 02 Sensor.
He told me 250.00 for both done and installed. I asked him if is still fails emissions, he said they will put a waiver on it then. I dunno. Guess either way I am good.
He drove it to the emissions, and said the car drives amazing, and being it only has 92K on it, and the way I take care of cars, it should last a long time. He seems to really like these Nissans, and said their extremely dependable.
They should have it done tomorrow. Waiting on the Cat.
Beings I have the "round tooth", isn't that the 100,000 mile interval maintenance time for it?
I think the square tooth is 60K? Hope I am right!
After this, I just have to fix the front window regulators. The motors work, but the windows don't go up and down. Must be it. I seen them on ebay cheap. Hope their not a pain to do. Almost there.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 PM

So your 6/93 production date was round tooth. Seems to confirm that even though Nissan officially says 6/93 is square, and 7/93 is round, that in reality it seems like it's a crapshoot for VG's produced in the summer of 93

But anyway, just because a timing belt looks fine doesn't mean you want to risk using it longer than its service interval. You did the smart thing in replacing it.

$250 for a cat and an 02, installed, is a good price. The aftermarket bolt-on cats are about $100 by themselves. Although, if he just welds in one that should be cheaper on him. Not any less effective though.

Yes, your timing belt is good for the longer interval now. I'm not sure if it's 100k exactly, thought it was 90k, but either way you don't have to worry about it for a long time.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:34 PM
No turbo, no care!

It could have had the motor swapped to a later motor or perhaps the previous owner upgraded the cam and crank pulleys to the round tooth one like I did on my 91. The change interval for the round tooth belt is actually 105k making the conversion well worth it (~$50 and since you should remove the cam and crank gears to change the seals, virtually no extra work). My buddy and I both have Quests which are non-interference so we decided to see how long the belts last. Mines still going with ~120k miles on it and I believe his broke right before 130k (~128k I think). Don't push the limit on ANY other VG as the Quest (and Mercury Villager) are the ONLY non interference VG motors made.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:29 PM

Just get 94's and you'll be good or better yet pull them of a motor in the bone yard anf you'll know what you have 100%...
Old 06-26-2015, 08:18 AM

So your 6/93 production date was round tooth. Seems to confirm that even though Nissan officially says 6/93 is square, and 7/93 is round, that in reality it seems like it's a crapshoot for VG's produced in the summer of 93

But anyway, just because a timing belt looks fine doesn't mean you want to risk using it longer than its service interval. You did the smart thing in replacing it.

$250 for a cat and an 02, installed, is a good price. The aftermarket bolt-on cats are about $100 by themselves. Although, if he just welds in one that should be cheaper on him. Not any less effective though.

Yes, your timing belt is good for the longer interval now. I'm not sure if it's 100k exactly, thought it was 90k, but either way you don't have to worry about it for a long time.
Yes your right, seems like a crap shoot, on which style tooth for that summer. At least the round tooth is a longer interval. I am glad it's not the 60K interval, gives me a little more time. The car honestly is great mechanically. He drove it to get the emissions done, and told me the car runs very well. He liked the mileage being low.
I guess 92K is low? LOL
I don't know what VG I have? I see this term used a lot on here from looking around. Is that the style of motor? Is one better than the other. I checked my year. Seems I have a 170HP, unless I am wrong.

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
It could have had the motor swapped to a later motor or perhaps the previous owner upgraded the cam and crank pulleys to the round tooth one like I did on my 91. The change interval for the round tooth belt is actually 105k making the conversion well worth it (~$50 and since you should remove the cam and crank gears to change the seals, virtually no extra work). My buddy and I both have Quests which are non-interference so we decided to see how long the belts last. Mines still going with ~120k miles on it and I believe his broke right before 130k (~128k I think). Don't push the limit on ANY other VG as the Quest (and Mercury Villager) are the ONLY non interference VG motors made.
my friend I bought it off of, bought it from the original owner. I had him ask, since he knows him. He said the engine has never been out. I guess I hit it lucky with that part. I hope to get a long life out of this car. I will be draining the tranny fluid and changing the filter when I get it back, with some other maintenance stuff, just so I have a starting point for me.

Originally Posted by CMax03
Just get 94's and you'll be good or better yet pull them of a motor in the bone yard anf you'll know what you have 100%...
I don't know what you mean by getting 94's? Sorry, I am still new to this car.

Quick Reply: Please help guys...