3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Beefing up/rebuilding the VE 5 speed RS5F50V

Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 AM
Ad∑min∑is∑tra∑tor

oh wow...did you get a group deal from PAR? LOL
where did you get the gears from?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got an awesome deal through PAR for ordering 2 sets (including 5th gear, final drive, etc) and waiting 16+ weeks.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Ad∑min∑is∑tra∑tor

Define awesome deal?
Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's between Haysam (PAR) and I. If you would like his contact information, I can definitely pass it along to you. He usually responds within 24-48 hours.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Ad∑min∑is∑tra∑tor

not looking for exact numbers. just a ball park to see if it's worth the trouble of getting in touch with them and ordering it. 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500?
Old 05-18-2019, 07:00 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by JoeBoost22 View Post
I am resurrecting this thread. Huge shout out to James. You have been instrumental in this journey thus far. I've got 2 big builds going on . .

Cool deal man. I literally just logged on here for the first time in at least a year and a half and surprised to see my thread still on the front page here (I guess that says something about lack of 3rd gen activity more than anything lol). I'm glad my thread helped somebody out.

Why did you build two of them? It's been a few months since you posted, how'd they turn out?
Old 05-19-2019, 02:07 AM

Yeah Iím interested. I got a spare with no reverse sitting in an large tubaware container waiting to be rebuilt.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

James! Thanks for the reply. Answers to your questions:

1) one for the street car and the other for race car

2) Things are still not finalized and maybe you can help me with this- the main shafts are done (both). Differentials (gears and arp bolts) are done. I assembled the inputs shafts also and later realized that 3rd and 4th gears do not spin freely with the slider disengaged. I got swamped and raising a 5-year old by myself that I haven't taken a minute to figure out the issue. Haysam says it could be burrs or something catching to prevent them from spinning. After I do that, its time to shim. I am kind of dreading that too, grease, solder. Not to mention all the springs and pinballs. But then again, I have came this far with no transmission building experience. I need to finish the projects and with all the money spent, they need to be done right, 100%

On a side note, VG guys I am now producing a line of adjustable cam gears (VG30 & VG33). First batch done and heading to anodizing & black oxide tomorrow. $295 per set shipped-

Old 05-20-2019, 06:40 PM

What! Someone is creating an aftermarket part for 3rd gens in 2019? 😂
Old 05-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lmfao, yes! I am also building 2 VG engines and I did not want to put in OEM cam gears. Russ adjustable cam gears are no longer available. I took matters into my own hands. I have 4 sets available (had 10 produced). 2 for me and sold another 4 (yes, no bs).

Keep in mind these fit VG engines from other models
VG30 Maxima, 300ZX, Pathfinder, Quest, Hardbody, etc
VG33 Pathfinder, QX4, etc

If you are running an aftermarket cam (Schneider, JWT, etc), you want an adjustable cam gear. I figured I could get what I want and help out the 3rd gen / VG SOHC community while I am at it.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by JoeBoost22 View Post

2) Things are still not finalized and maybe you can help me with this- the main shafts are done (both). Differentials (gears and arp bolts) are done. I assembled the inputs shafts also and later realized that 3rd and 4th gears do not spin freely with the slider disengaged. I got swamped and raising a 5-year old by myself that I haven't taken a minute to figure out the issue. Haysam says it could be burrs or something catching to prevent them from spinning. After I do that, its time to shim. I am kind of dreading that too, grease, solder. Not to mention all the springs and pinballs. But then again, I have came this far with no transmission building experience. I need to finish the projects and with all the money spent, they need to be done right, 100%
I have a notoriously horrible memory and had to read back through my own thread to refresh myself because I did remember having an issue with it not wanting to spin in gear once I put it all together. If you look at my post #85 (I'll quote below), that turned out to be my issue. You think yours could be something like this below?

Originally Posted by James92SE View Post
Did you get yours finished Dan?

Saturday, I just randomly had the thought to put the transmission into each gear and spin the input shaft to make sure there's no binding etc. prior to installing it in the actual car. I had long ago made sure the tranny goes into every gear and spins in neutral but hadn't thought to spin the input shaft IN each gear.

Unfortunately it turned out that in gear, the darn thing would only spin in 2nd. Even with some vice grips on the input shaft it would NOT spin in 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or reverse. It would rotate about 1/8 turn and just "clank" like it was hitting a wall.

I shot Haysam at PAR an e-mail Saturday night about it asking if he had any ideas and he wrote me back immediately that it sounded like the 1st/2nd slide collar deal must be touching the reverse idler gear - meaning that when you select 2nd gear, the slider moves away from the idler and thus there is no contact.

So I pulled the case back off and nope definitely no interference with the reverse idler gear. Although I was actually kind of relieved because if the slide collar deal actually touched the idler gear then I would just be SOL using this gearset, and also would have been annoyed at myself for not noticing it was interfering when assembling it.

I e-mailed him back late Saturday night that there was no interference and asked if he had anything else I should look for. He again nearly immediately wrote back that he had two ideas - no end play on the gear(s) or a "jammed" 2nd gear synchro. I knew I had enough end play so the 2nd gear synchro seemed like the culprit at that point.

Sunday I pulled the mainshaft out and noticed that I couldn't get 2nd gear to spin at all. Argh. So I disassembled the mainshaft again and sure enough the stupid three piece 2nd gear synchro deal was jammed together (that silver ring was stuck inside the outside synchro ring and wouldn't spin). I actually had to use a hammer and flat head to get them back apart.

Here's a picture of the offender. The synchro setup here has three parts. The outside brass ring, the middle silver ring, and then the innermost brass piece. Those three tabs on the silver ring actually sit into holes on 2nd gear itself - so this silver ring needs to be able to rotate independently of the brass part(s). This is what was preventing 2nd gear from spinning - the silver ring was "jammed" into the brass synchro so tight that 2nd gear wouldn't spin even with vice grips!

Attachment 15481

After I got them apart, I just put it right back together with some fresh gear oil for lube and them immediately re-assembled the mainshaft and put the whole transmission back together. All is fine and dandy now and input shaft is able to rotate in every gear. Pretty amazing that a "stuck" synchro can prevent the entire transmission from rotating.

I have to really commend Haysam for repeatedly answering me back immediately this weekend. It was my Saturday night but for him in Australia it was his Sunday. Had he not been so prompt getting back to me on a Sunday (for him) I probably wouldn't have suspected that 2nd gear synchro setup on my own - especially since I know it was assembled correctly.

So definite lesson learned. Make sure all your synchro cones/gears spin freely before putting the entire transmission back together.